Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Which mk4 diesel

15K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  jonnyloppy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,
Looking to change to mk4 diesel.
Which is best engine size/ model to go for??
At present have 52 plate 2.0 tdci 130, fantastic power and reliabilty considering mileage upto 180k.
I want next one to equally reliable but would like slightly better economy, get average 45mpg now.
Was in a taxi last night which had the 1.8 diesel and reckoned that was best??
Looking for a 3 yr old one.
Anyone any advice??

#2 ·
Difficult question I owned 54 plate 2.2. Now have 08 2.2 which is almost 10mpg poorer and much less reliable.(stutters, back widscreen replaced,front sensors erratic, intruments failed, battery went flat overnight etc) Also eats front tyres. Car is quieter and smoother but not sure it is worth it.

#4 ·
I must say captpringle seems to be quite unlucky with that list of problems, my 57 reg is excellent and reliable.
I find my 2.0Tdci 140 is more economical than stated for your 2.0Tdci 130. On a recent drive from Aberdeen to Newcastle and back I got up to 57.1 mpg. My average mpg is currently on 45.6 mpg.
Obviously the TitX Sport is the best for kit and comfort, but anything from the Zetec upwards is a good car with good levels of kit. I find the Edge just a bit too basic though it does have cruise as standard.

#6 ·
Hi i have the 1.8 because i had so much injector problems in my mk3 with the 2.0tdci engine.

The 1.8 is a very well proven unit and has been around a very very long time and it is virtually unburstable, it standard form in the mk4 it does lack the low down torque and smoothness of the 2.0 but this can be cured by having the engine remapped, i have had this done on mine and the results are amazing the torque is very much improved and my fuel consumption has come down from a average 44.5 to a very good 50.4 (BRIM TO BRIM TANK NOT CONVERSE) so i am pleased with this.

Also the 1.8 does not have a DPF fitted so this is one expensive item you do not have to worry about going wrong so all in all i think the 1.8 is the better option but it is all down to personal preference which one you choose hope this helps!. :L

#7 ·
If Ypou have never driven the 2.0 But have driven only the 1.8 then it likely is just fine and dandy ?
Drive both though and the 2.0 would be the one !!! No less MPG And a far superior drive ! The 1.8 as said above is a very difficult car to sell on. OK Thats a while away and may not seem important now. But it surely must be factored into the price You pay today if the 1.8 is Your choise !! Cos come trade in time You will be stuffed !!!
Of course the Dealers will tell You a different story if they are trying to sell You a 1.8 off the forecourt. But try trading one in !!
The 2.2 is probably the best option for power and tourque ( I have this engine in My Transit van) But there are not so many to choose from ??
The 2.0 is the most common and easy to find and probably the most sensible.
Im not trying to offend 1.8 owners But the 1.8s are woefull in comparison !!
You pays Your money and takes Your chance ............

#8 ·
ChuckH said:
If Ypou have never driven the 2.0 But have driven only the 1.8 then it likely is just fine and dandy ?
Drive both though and the 2.0 would be the one !!! No less MPG And a far superior drive ! The 1.8 as said above is a very difficult car to sell on. OK Thats a while away and may not seem important now. But it surely must be factored into the price You pay today if the 1.8 is Your choise !! Cos come trade in time You will be stuffed !!!
Of course the Dealers will tell You a different story if they are trying to sell You a 1.8 off the forecourt. But try trading one in !!
The 2.2 is probably the best option for power and tourque ( I have this engine in My Transit van) But there are not so many to choose from ??
i missed out on two 1.8's through dithering around whilst looking for a new one. Again depends on how long he is planning on keeping the car and whether he'll trade it in or sell privately.

#9 ·
darlofan said:
ChuckH said:
i missed out on two 1.8's through dithering around whilst looking for a new one. Again depends on how long he is planning on keeping the car and whether he'll trade it in or sell privately.
The 1.8 is very difficult to either sell privately or to trade in.
Its realy not a bad car or a problem so long as You pay very low when buying
How long Matey is keeping the car is not realy relative !
The 2.0 out sells the 2.2 by 9 to 1 And the 1.8 by 7 to 1 (Ford figures) Surely that tells a story ?
Either way simply driving a 1.8 and a 2.0 back to back will make the decision easy ...................

#10 ·
ChuckH said:
ChuckH i agree with you on your point about the 1.8 engine as it comes from the factory,yes it is not as good as the 2.0, but if it has been remapped (as mine has been) then it becomes a completely different beast!.

When i was looking for a mk4 to replace a mk3 i drove both the 2.0 and the 1.8 yes the 2.0 was better than the 1.8 in torque and power delivery but i went for the 1.8 as i had had nothing but trouble from the 2.0 in the mk3 with the fuel system, all was fine until i reached the 40000 mile mk and then i had to have the injectors replaced/ fuel flow valve replaced/ and it still did not solve the problem! the final straw came when i was told the injector pump needed to be replaced at a cost of £1200.00 so i sold the car at a loss before i went MAD, now i know that my case was an extreme one but if you read the mk3 section on fuel components there are a lot of members who have had injector problems with the 2.0tdci and i did not want to go down that road again with the mk4 so that is why i went for the 1.8 that i have now, and so far engine wise i have had no problems with it at all and as i said earlier in this post with a remapped engine the 1.8 is a very nice car to drive and and performance wise it is better than my old unmapped mk3 2.0 tdci, so as before you pays your money and you takes your choice or chance! and my choice would always be my trusty old designed 1.8 engine. :L

#11 ·
ChuckH said:
darlofan said:
ChuckH said:
The 2.0 out sells the 2.2 by 9 to 1 And the 1.8 by 7 to 1 (Ford figures) Surely that tells a story ?
Either way simply driving a 1.8 and a 2.0 back to back will make the decision easy ...................
Ford figures don't really reflect the 2nd hand market though do they? I took loads of different cars and engine sizes for test drives including the 2.0l mondeo but still plumped for the 1.8. I think you get to a certain age where you think why bother with power it gets you nowhere any faster!! As for how long you keep a car affecting a decision of course it does- i'm planning on keeping Mondeo for about 5-6years at 30k a year ish. At the end of 5-6years i'm not going to get much less for it than if i did 12k a year am i? Might sell it easier private with less miles but i part ex so they'll take it anyway.

#12 ·
darlofan said:
ChuckH said:
darlofan said:
ChuckH said:
Ford figures don't really reflect the 2nd hand market though do they? I took loads of different cars and engine sizes for test drives including the 2.0l mondeo but still plumped for the 1.8. I think you get to a certain age where you think why bother with power it gets you nowhere any faster!! As for how long you keep a car affecting a decision of course it does- i'm planning on keeping Mondeo for about 5-6years at 30k a year ish. At the end of 5-6years i'm not going to get much less for it than if i did 12k a year am i? Might sell it easier private with less miles but i part ex so they'll take it anyway.
Mileage is another topic alltogether. You are happy with Your 1.8 I hope You bought it cheap !

How can figures not count ?? I mean if 9 buyers go for the 2.0 and only one for a 1.8 surely that tells You somthing ??
The drive is not just about speed or how fast You get there. Its about the driving experience and how relaxed or not and how capable the car is day to day.............

Old folk of course view things differently ... :whistling: :whistling:

#13 ·
I have a 2.2, had it a year now. Fantastic engine, great power & torque for overtaking on mountain roads. Some folks complain about the fuel consumption, I get mid to high 30's on the aforesaid mountain roads (heavy right foot) and mid 40's on long runs. Far better than my 2.0 petrol Mazda 6 managed in the same conditions, so I'm well pleased. I've not had it long enough to have problems, but no regrets so far.

#14 ·
So I think general idea I am getting from here is if I want better driving car then go for the 2.0 and if I want reliabilty go for the 1.8???
As I will be buying one with near 100k on it and taking it upto 200k over 3 years maybe its the 1.8 then, lol!
Other questions are, do they both have same dmf issues? Any other common problems??

Thanks.

#15 ·
As far as Im aware the 2.0 as is the 1.8 and 2.2 are all pretty much the same when it comes to reliability and ability to achieve high mileages
You may hear of more woes attached to the 2.0 But this is only because there are so many more of them NOT because they have more problems ....

If I were buying again I would likely hold out for a 2.2 I would very definately Not buy a 1.8
My dealer lent Me a 1.8 when the Transit was in for a service and it was awfull compared to Our 2.0..
If You were to drive a 1.8 and buy one without trying a 2.0 or a 2.2 then You would likely be happy but try a 2.0 or a 2.2 and You will regret the purchase !!!

#16 ·
ChuckH said:
darlofan said:
ChuckH said:
darlofan said:
ChuckH said:
Mileage is another topic alltogether. You are happy with Your 1.8 I hope You bought it cheap !

How can figures not count ?? I mean if 9 buyers go for the 2.0 and only one for a 1.8 surely that tells You somthing ??
The drive is not just about speed or how fast You get there. Its about the driving experience and how relaxed or not and how capable the car is day to day.............

Old folk of course view things differently ... :whistling: :whistling:
If you knew me you'd know i bought it reasonably as i shop around more than the wife does for shoes :L
As for old folks i'm a young 40 so not too old yet.
And i can't see how the engine size really alters a ride experience-apart from pulling away quicker not much difference is there? Plus there is the issue of economy looking at the figures in some posts a 2.0l would cost me £50-60 a month more in diesel, again not too bad if you do a few hundred miles a month but start doing a lot more and it becomes one.

#17 ·
Agrre totaly on the consumption/fuel issue But there is a lot more to the additional torque and power issue than simply pulling away quicker !!
Less need to stir the gearbox in every driving condition . The satisfying surge from the engine when pressing on (This is only suffiecient in the 2.0 More so in the 2.2 Vrtualy nonexistent in the 1.8 ) Its simply a better engine in every department !
In real world terms the 2.0 is no less economical due to not having to keep changing down to find reasonable go ! Particularly in say an overtake.

The Manager at My Dealer actualy said only the ill imformed buy the 1.8 The clued up buy the 2.2 !
Im not knocking Your choise of car But the OP asked for best advice and thats what We should try to do !
Im not trying to be clever As above I would buy a 2.2 over the 2.0 any day So in a way I cocked up !!
Bloody glad I never went 1.8 though as the 2 Ive driven were horrible and simply lacking power and torque especialy to pull such a large car along..

Now with the advent of the new much more powerfull 2.0 engines coming out the existing 2.0 will likely be less easy to sell and the 1.8 allmost impossible....

To The OP
2.2 Definately

2.0 Only if You cant find a 2.2

1.8 Only if it is stupidly cheap and You can bare driving one !.....................

#18 ·
I test drove the 140BHP 2.0 and thought it gutless and was not that bothered getting the 1.8 as,having worked for Ford,manufacturing and testing diesel engine components,since 1990 the general consensus within the factory was that the 1.8 is the engine to go for.Clutches and fly wheels on the 2.0 are of much cheaper construction,prone to failure and damm expensive to replace.
The current version of the 2.0 was built in a time of much cost cutting,with cheaper versions of everything being sought.Tests were taken out of production processes,tolerances opened up that allowed more boarderline stuff through and it became more about cost than quality!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, one thing for sure the 2.0l diesel is not gutless, it has got plenty of torque for overtaking, as ChuckH states, and I'd never complain about the mpg, as you all well know.Certainly mine, in unremapped form was quite impresssive to drive, in remapped form it is amazing. In comparison the 1.8 is quite 'agricultural'.
Chris

#20 ·
Ita amazing how far some owners will go to convince us that Thier choise was the best and everyone else was wrong ??
As above for the last time
I would buy a 2.2 Definately as the 2.0 is not as good So I made a mistake when I bought the 2.0 !!!!

I would not ever buy a 1.8 as they are gutless and underpowered ! The engine cannot cope with the size and weight of such a large car ! Its fine in a Focus but not so in a Mondeo !!!

Any Dealer or trade buyer simply does not want them !!! They are in the words of the Dealer Principal at Our Main Ford dealers The black death of the Ford range of cars !!

The OP Asked for sensible advice Not to be bombarded with individuals simply defending thier purchases
I dont defend My decision Quet the contrary !
I was daft enough to be persuaded by a Dealer that the 2.0 was every bit as good as the 2.2 RUBBISH !!!
Niether is the 1.8 as good as the 2.0 !!

The 2.0 has just And I do mean just enough power for the very large car that the Mondeo is ( Lets not forget this is a bigger car than the good old Granada) Any less and it would be useless !
Some like Chris have chosen to remap I have not as I dont want to risk thw warranty. Plus Buyers may not like it come sale time !
The reason 2.2s are relativly in small numbers is that they were a bit expensive for fleet buyers And on the face of it a little expensive to buy and run for most private buyers.......

The reason the 1.8s are thin on the ground is that No one realy wants them !
Underpowered with no better fuel economy than the bigger engined cars. Plus sluggish and slow. Plus very low residuals,
Now why are some trying to tell the OP they are the one to buy ??????????????????????????

#41 ·
Ita amazing how far some owners will go to convince us that Thier choise was the best and everyone else was wrong ??

As above for the last time

I would buy a 2.2 Definately as the 2.0 is not as good So I made a mistake when I bought the 2.0 !!!!

I would not ever buy a 1.8 as they are gutless and underpowered ! The engine cannot cope with the size and weight of such a large car ! Its fine in a Focus but not so in a Mondeo !!!

Any Dealer or trade buyer simply does not want them !!! They are in the words of the Dealer Principal at Our Main Ford dealers The black death of the Ford range of cars !!

The OP Asked for sensible advice Not to be bombarded with individuals simply defending thier purchases

I dont defend My decision Quet the contrary !

I was daft enough to be persuaded by a Dealer that the 2.0 was every bit as good as the 2.2 RUBBISH !!!

Niether is the 1.8 as good as the 2.0 !!

The 2.0 has just And I do mean just enough power for the very large car that the Mondeo is ( Lets not forget this is a bigger car than the good old Granada) Any less and it would be useless !

Some like Chris have chosen to remap I have not as I dont want to risk thw warranty. Plus Buyers may not like it come sale time !

The reason 2.2s are relativly in small numbers is that they were a bit expensive for fleet buyers And on the face of it a little expensive to buy and run for most private buyers.......

The reason the 1.8s are thin on the ground is that No one realy wants them !

Underpowered with no better fuel economy than the bigger engined cars. Plus sluggish and slow. Plus very low residuals,

Now why are some trying to tell the OP they are the one to buy ??????????????????????????

#21 ·
I was just underwhelmed by the 2.0 in the test drive,maybe I was expecting too much,but I was expecting more umph from a 140BHP car.Possibly the Volvo D5 183bhp ruined me,but I didn't expect the difference to be so noticeable.My Escort 1.8si had 115hp,my Zetec S fiesta had 108 and both felt nippy,the mondeo did not so the extra money for an extra 15hp between the 1.8 and 2.0 didn't seem worth it as neither were going to live up to expectations,but i needed the larger car.
The 1.8 isn't quick enough but I'll feel happier remapping it,knowing it's made of sterner stuff than the 2.0.

#22 ·
Completely delighted with my 125ps 1.8 TDCi, pulls well, tows 1.5 tonne trailer no problem. Does 50-51 mpg. Been completely reliable. My other car is a 220 hp Caterham and I just sold my old 355 a few weeks ago and while not as fast as them I have found the 1.8 to be perfectly adequate power wise for day to day use. Its loosened up significantly since new with a noticable improvement in power around about 12k miles.

Have driven a few 2.0's, yes there are differences. Strangely the 1.8 is much quieter on start up from cold, but the 2litre is smoother and quieter when warm. Personally I didn't find the difference in power between the two particularly noticeable.

I never drove the 2litres long enough to compare economy. Folks have found on here that generally the mk4's use a little more fuel than the mk3's. They are bigger heavier cars so some reduction is inevitable. My mk3 was about 2mpg better over 75k miles but I can live with that.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
trust me go for the 1.8 and remap it, you will get even better economy and will be faster than the 2.0tdci and much, much more reliable.
:thumbup: ;)

#24 ·
Well it might untill You remap the 140 !!!
Why on earth should We have to remap our cars to get decent power ???

Its all ways the same The 1.8 Owners trying to defend thier cars and making them out to be superior to a superior model !!!!1

#25 ·
Good lord, what a strange bunch of posts!!!

The 2.0 is slightly better than the 1.8 but the margin isn't as huge as some are making out.

The 1.8 is in no way underpowered for normal people who drive a car in a normal manner. Driving around a city or driving on motorways at legal speeds is absolutely fine in both cars. I cannot see why Ford bother with a 2.2, I would have thought a much higher power 2.5 or 3.0 lump would make more sense for the fast diesel lovers.

The lack of a DPF on the 1.8 must be a bonus for city drivers who don't need outright power as there are no regeneration issues.

IF you drive with a lead right foot, tow a large caravan or carry heavy loads a larger engine with more power will always be preferable no matter what the brand of car. A 1.8 or 2.0 engine in such a low state of tune will never set the world alight in a car as large and heavy as a Mondeo. If I wanted a quick and dynamic drive and more of a drivers car, I definately would not have bought a Mondeo.
I previously owned an R56 Cooper S and before that an A3 Sline TDi170. My 1.8 Tit-X is neither superior nor inferior to my previous cars. Its an extremely spacious comfortable car and carries my baby and dogs safely with room to spare. The performance is just fine and IF i want a bit more oomph in the future I can choose to have it chipped quite cheaply.

Common sense seems to go out of the window on threads like this and some pretty ridiculous views are aired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.