Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Keys locked in boot! Help.

11K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  donteus 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Like a plum I've managed to shut my keys in the boot, this happened other night when looking for something there, and shutting boot with keys still there. The car is deadlocked as used the boot release button on remote, it's a 2001 MK III hatch by the way.
Got no spare whatsoever, went to my local fords earlier who said can't help without a key code number, which they said only the original dealer would know. I've not a clue who the original dealer was, all I know is I'm the 2nd owner and car belonged to a company in Stockport previously.
Had a problem ages ago when has an Orion, snapped key in fuel cap and AA managed to get me a new key using reg number and VIN.
Not a member of any breakdown organisations so was just wondering if anyone knows of any tips or places I can go to for help (as cheap as poss really)
I'm in Colchester so if anyone knows anywhere in this area please let me know.'
Last resort I'll have to bust a side window and get them that way....

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd be looking to break the cheapest window. Bear in mind if its dead locked, you will need to be able to get into the car to get into the boot as you wont be able to open the car from the inside.

As for your dealer, they are talking shite. Armed with reg and vin, they can tell you....

#3 ·
Cheers Ben, you speak as I think.... I'm just thinking of arranging a windscreen replacement as need new front screen and pile in to the boot then...

Yep, as you say, deadlocked means needing access, thats why I'd need to break a glass that'll allow me to get in and drop the rear seats to locate keys.

My Dad told me that they should be able to help if take logbook, reg, VIN etc... ok, its a 9 yr old car now, but most companies I know of keep a record of sales somewhere, I'm also sure with a little effort they could locate the key code number for me and cut a key, might ring another random ford dealer tomorrow to see what their response consists of.

thanks for your reply mate

#4 ·
is it a saloon?

#6 ·
hi sorry for ur trouble i think if u could get off a battery lead and reconnect it it'll open the car ive always dreaded this happening me even if u have to cut the leads its going to be cheaper than a window

#9 ·
you cant open the bonnet without damaging it anyway, as the keys are in the boot (dont do it) as it's a hatch access would not be so bad as you can break one of the rear door windows and maybe get a child to somehow get through the window and lower the rear seats to get into the boot, it's the least expensive window to repair, the front window is bigger though so would be easier to get through. As the car is deadlocked I dont think that you can to simply break the window and reach into the cabin and open it?

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
access would not be so bad as you can break one of the rear door windows and maybe get a child to somehow get through the window
Im having that as my sig

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
how else would you do it? remember it's saftey glass! you can use a brush to sweep the broken seftey glass onto the floor and off the seats first, I could not squeeze through the rear window!
Please explain a solution to help this guy out!

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok Mr Grumpy
- I would tow the car with the handbrake on (if it is on) to the closest biggest kerb i could find - hope the the engine base cover is off already - jump underneath with a long rubber handled wire cutter, snip the battery cable then re-touch the wires and the car will open

(Axal stands would also be useful but not essential.)

Or smash the side window and climb through yourself - its not hard and if you do find it hard then you need exercise and a diet program ooooo Have some of that back

Que come back reply ............

#13 ·
Cheek! lol

Good solution too, that would help him out no doubt!.

#14 ·
Are you being sarcastic or genuine? Im not sure

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
as it was a unrealistic response by you to help the guy, i was being sarcastic!

#16 ·
alternativley, break the rear window, lower the seat, use a broom to try to drag the keys over to a position that you might be able to reach, job done.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
What part of that is unrealistic? That is the simplest/cheapest solution possible. - Ofcourse axal stands would be better as towing a car with the handbrake on can be done but not ideal but wouldnt be too much of a problem if the kerb was close to his house. Two jacks and an improvised axal stand would be another option to get under the car safely.

Also there is guys to call for this kind of thing. I did that to our old vauxhall calvalir outside a rover showroom lol and the guy came out with a coat hanger and had the car open in 20 seconds flat

But the battery idea is tried and tested and would probably be easier/cheaper.

#25 ·
hi there

that won't work on a deadlocked car. you need power to de-activate the deadlocks. there is a way, but it's not for a public forum.

as the op has said, he needs a new windscreen, so it would be easier to get in that way for the keys.

hth

#18 ·
it would not work mate. You think that you can get to the batterey terminals and cut them with obscured / nill vision to do so? It would still be dead locked without the batterey connection also. Call someone out would make more sense.

#19 ·
So it is a realistic response - but apparently it wont work in the particular situation. GOD!!!

#20 ·
you've lost it mate, pm sent to you.

#21 ·
at you guys.

I'm sorted now
had a local locksmith come out and he got door unlocked in 5 seconds with his multi-key thingy..lol.

Cost me £40 which wasn't too bad in my opinion.

Just been to their premises and had a couple of basic keys cut, he also gave me the key code number for future reference.

Cheers again to you all for your help and advice............ And some good laughs to keep me smiling too

Keep up the good work

#22 ·
glad it's sorted for you, your welcome for the laughs!

#23 ·
Lol... Ta muchly mate.

Wasn't sure how the battery bit would work, I've always been told when connecting/disconnecting battery to make sure the keys are out of the car as they can sometimes 'LOCK' themselves....

Still, ended up being a £40 fix which is a bit of a touch considering next cheapest option was a broken window, a £60 insurance excess and then no idea how long for a replacement, or a trip to the scrappers for a side glass and then aggro of fitting it in.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
At my expense no doubt

If nobody threw about ideas, how boring would this place be?

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Your a bit late - we could of had more laughs
....... or not as the case may be

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
I cant believe some of the comments on here. Some of you lot are completly off you trolley's
CALL A BLOODY LOCKSMITH, I would charge you £45 +vat and there would be NO DAMAGE but unfortunatly the Roman/first capital of england is just a tad out of my area.
Good luck, dont be smashing any windows.

Ps Even after this, most wont go and get a spare key.

#31 ·
Maybe the OP needs to look up the thread in MK3 discussion on how folks unlock MK3's without keys...........Apparently its easy!

To be honest, if this was me, I would ask any mates with similar Ford keys to try them in the lock before doing anything else. Its not too likely to work, but it might at least unlock the car, as the car is older (not that this HAS to apply for cars that are used mainly with remotes, as the lock will not have worn).

Sadly the chance of wedging/jacking out the top of the rear door (as the AA/RAC would), and being able to push down the seat release button would be very tricky, and then the chance of getting some bent wire into the boot to retrieve the keys is even less likely, but still possibly worth a try.

Re reading my post, I don't think I'd ever be much of a successful car thief lol

#33 ·
Did try a few other ford keys, got a couple here from old cars etc and there several people here with fords, none worked tho.
That takes me back to an old orion I had, the locks had been put in wrong way at some point (n/s in o/s and vice versa) That meant everyone with a ford key could unlock car but only I could lock it...... Found that out when a work mate played a prank on me (Why he was trying his key in my car I don't know, but he was good enough to let me know that he got in it)
I promptly swapped the locks over that evening!

#34 ·
If you have break down cover the SIMPLEST option would have been to call them out, if you didnt have any cover buy some then call them straight out. Would be cheaper than smashing glass and you are then covered for the rest of the year. Simple!!!

#35 ·
just to say, have you ever seen the state of a windscreen when it is broken? its laminated, no way you could easily get into the car that way, you'd be cut to ribbons.

and what to say to your insurance, "yeah it was a stone from a lorry, yeah, thats right, a really big stone, yeah, came right through the window, oh, no, it didn't hit me, I ducked".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.