Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Ford mondeo TDCI.. LIFT PUMP

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  salta 
#1 ·
hi there does anyone know if the TDCi 2.0 130 has a lift pump and if so where it is..

Someone says there is one in the tank

someone says its under the back wheel

the problem is as people know my mate converted my jatco automatic car to a manual car.

he warned me it was low on deisel i ignored him and yes i ran out

I got the AA to come out and they put in 10L of fuel and now the car is up to 1/4 of a tank

then got a hand pump and pulled the fuel up to the filter

sprayed easy start in it and tried for 20 mins to try and start it to no avail

and they claim its the lift pump that might of gone. as its not getting no fuel up..

Any help please... !!!

See less See more
#2 ·
TDCi's shouldnt have a lift pump.

Probably needs the injectors bleeding, Airlocked.

#3 ·
How do you do that.. the AA guy undid them all and just cranked over and over and over and said fuel shoudl come out but nothing was not...

he then did them all up apart from one and tired that

and nothing happned at all..

so does that mean the main pump is stuffed ????

#4 ·
It should run with easy start, Evil stuff it can wreck diesel engines.

How far have you driven it?

Not tripped the fuel cutoff has it? Passenger side footwell, Small round hole in the left trim panel.

I presume they have one?

#5 ·
they dont have an actual lift pump afaik ... but then it is a conversion . if it had a lift pump it would probably be underneath the driverside rear .sat beside the fuel tank .on in the tank .. as i say i dont think it has a lift pump though the actual injector pump lifts diesel up to the injectors ..thats why you shuldent ever let a diesel run low in fuel because it relays on a supply of diesel fuel to lubricate the innards.. anyway no fuel at the injectors is either down to these reasons sss the cutout has opperated as purple says .. the filter is empty due to a blockage or the fact that the inj.pump is now unable to suck it up from the tank . or the main injecto pump relay is shutting the pump down electrically ..as in the case when you switch off the engine with the key..this can be down to a faulty relay or key fob is faluty causing the fob to demobilize the engine .. all the above would show up on a fault diagnostic .. i recon some body wiht an fsuper would be a great help in finding whats happening ..s

#6 ·
Hi got the car read for error codes and it came up with p1631 ..... If you spray easy start into it. it will start run for around min and then stall and only other way would be to spray it in the car and it will run. But when it stalls there is not way it will start on the starter alone you need to give it a shot of easy start..

The guy that did it just said it could be millions of things and just said that will be £5 and drove off..

but if you keep the revs up it will stay running with out a problem...

Spoke to a garage localy and he said pump for def and not to mess about with it.. and he can get me a pump for £180 recon...

#7 ·
yes sounds like injector pump allright .. you shuld get the guy to fit a different one that is presuming the filter has been done during the conversion . easy start is not the answer .. the pump is not lifting the diesel up to the injectors for some reason .i recon.. s

#8 ·
Are you sure it's not an electrical issue? P1631 would not be flagged up if the pump was faulty. You'd probably get P1664 if it was the pump, plus P1211 as it wouldn't be able to supply the correct fuel pressure to the injectors.

£180 also seems very cheap for a recon pump?

#9 ·
yeah i thought £180 was cheap but thats what they do them for £180 + vat... or £260 if they take it off and reaplace it...

We got it started put a brand new filter on it.

It ran fine but had this like Weeee and like a mind of its own and just like you was flooring it

well it did this for about 3 miles and now has just conked out at the side of the road starts for like 10 secs and hunts now and then

and now just died and the glow plug light is flashing but no fault codes at all now..

Puzzed totally now..

#11 ·
ok check the filter and see if it has emptied . i thik the filter is drawing air or the injector pump is not sucking up fuel .eithe way its not getting a constant supply of fuel .on these if the injector pump is drawinng fuel from the tank through the filter and if there is the slightest air leak then the filter will fill up with air or half fill with air and then you are going nowhere because the pump will get starved of fuel and that wheezing noise could be the pump trying to draw fuel . if you fit a piece of transparent pipe between the fuel filter and the injector pump .. you will be able to observe if it is drawing lots of air bubbles .. one bubble every few minutes the inj.pump can handle but ten or more bubbles a minute is definitly a faluty fuel supply .. s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.