Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Admiral Insurance Problem

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  GingerTom 
#1 ·
hi guys. i am rather angry at the moment and wondered if anyones experienced this problem i have had come through the post today.

in 2010 in september i got pulled for picking up my mobile phone off my van dashboard. according to the police this is still using a mobile device while driving. ok fair enough they issued a cu80 and a 60 quid fine and 3 points. that afternoon i rang my insurance company and informed them of the cu80 and was told that it would have to be added to next years insurance. ok fair enough.
2011 i renewed my quote with admiral and added the cu80 onto my insurance. i remember saying i had the cu80 as the sp30 i previously had got was now due to be removed from the insurance ( lucky only 3 points would be showing again ).
in march 2012 i changed cars and phoned admiral and got them to change over the insurance to my new one and also change my wifes over to my old car as shes had my old mondeo off me to replace her corolla. this cost me a small fortune in charges and also in payments.
my insurance was renewed again in june with the same company of admiral and the quote came though as usual and i rang them as usual to barter with them about the quote as it was way higher than expected. they gave me a good quote in the end and i was happy.
july 2012 i have just recieved a letter through saying there is a descrepancy in my details and that i omitted to say about a conviction on my insurance being the cu80. and they have requoted my insurance nearly double what i was paying.
i have rung them already and they are investigating all this and wont get back to me for 48 hours ( something to do with listening to calls etc ). they have assured me i am fully insured still.
I feel that somethings not quite right here. if i informed them in 2010 and also on renewal in 2011 it should still be on my insurance quote in 2012 and when i changed over the car in march this year.
I feel as though they have accused me of being dishonest and frauding insurance which is not the case as i have always paid and made sure my details are correct etc.
when i changed over cars in march the guy i spoke to had a very hard to understand indian accent and i rang again to make sure the changes were correct.
where do i stand with this? to say i am angry aint the word as i am livid that they can write a letter and accuse someone of doing something they havent and then you have to prove to them via calls that you have informed them. then you have to wait for them to get back to you regarding it. when i my renewal was up this year and i rang them not once did they ask about convictions when requoting me. all they did was check details of the cars. as other bits should be the same.

anyone had this happen and any advise i could have regarding on where to go about this now?

Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Dan

You should have no problem. If they are going to listen to calls this should sort it out and they can confirm what was discussed at start of cover and at renewal. If you are not happy with what they say you can always request to listen to the calls over the phone. What was put on the policy at the outset will stay recorded. These details would not be changed at renewal or when you changed cars. Do you still have your documents from when you started the policy ?. If so this will show what was included at the start. What this does emphasise is the need to check all documents when received at the start and at each renewal to make sure everything is on there that should be.

#3 ·
You can also request copies of the calls for yourself too

#4 ·
Also if you're not happy at the conclusion of this inform the insurance company that you are going to take this to the insurance ombudsman and request the address and other contact deals from them (by law the HAVE to give these to you). Sometimes just the mention of going to the ombudsman is enough to make them reconsider others you have to actually do it.

If you go through with it and the ombudsman comes down on your side then they must abide by his ruling! It may wiork for you though sometimes it can go against you, however if there is proof you did inform them then I fancy your chances. HTH.

#5 ·
Do you have anything with the points listed on them? Previous quote etc?

Proof of times and dates you made phone calls? That could push them towards
making sure the calls are not lost or accidently deleted.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Its a money making exercise by admiral.

I joined them a couple of months ago.

Prior to that I had done a few searches to price up the cost to insure a remap. I decided it was too much, so I chose not to bother.

Last week, I got an email from Admiral saying that they had found a discrepancy and that they have amended my policy with an undeclared modification. The email also said they would be deducting the additonal premium (£150 ish) shortly!

I called them and they soon changed it back. However - they would not accept it was wrong the make these changes without asking customers first! They said they did not have the time to ring every customer where they see a descrerpancy - obviously they just assume everyone is guilty!

Not impressed!

#8 ·
just a bit of an update on this one guys.

last thursday night following on my call to their call center i rang again and got a wonderful lady on the phone. at 7pm she went through my details of call logs and i explained to her on the date in september 2010 i rang to let them know my points were going on. then on my renewal in 2011 on 27th may i rang their canada based call center and explained on the quote that my points would be added there with the conviction code. the lady said she would listen to that call and possibly get back to me by 8pm if possible. if not at the start of her shift on friday. so put down the phone with this knowing i was in the right but will wait and see.
friday at 12.30pm this lady rings me and explains that she listened through the call and that i indeed explained and asked to add my conviction code. i also asked again if it had been added, so it was added on change of insurance in 2011.
so they have backed down. my insurance payments stay the same and i am just going to await the letter of apology they said they would send out and then i can get my thinking head on as to what to do next. all i will say is this is the last year i will be insuring with them. excessive premiums and excuses. and they want £25 per chip repair on windows.

Dan

#9 ·
Well done. This proves the point of making notes of every communication (dates, times and names) you have with your insurer.

You did the right thing by raising it with them and quoting the facts and as they are direct insurers they keep logs of all calls for this very reason. Always follow the companies complaints procedures. Normally the company can sort it without you going through the ombudsman. This time you got the result you wanted but it doesn't always happen which is where your notes come in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.