News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

I can smell diesel!?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 ojobson

ojobson

Megger

• Gold Member
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:46 AM

I recently bought a 2005 LX 130, and on long journeys, when I go slowly or stop there is a strong smell of diesel in the car!

I'm assuming whatever causes it is always their, but only noticeable when I'm going slowly and there is not enough fresh air coming into the engine bay to dissipate the fumes.

Obviously I'm worried about this, I had a look under the bonnet and the bar on top of the engine, which runs right to left and feeds the 4 injectors is a little wet, but I'm not sure if this is from oil that has been spilt at service as it doesn't evaporate...

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or can suggest any weak spots that are known to split or perish that could be the problem?

Mondeo Mk3 | TDCI 130 LX | 2005

C-Max Mk1 | 1.8 Duratec HE Ghia | 2006
Ka Collection | 2005

#2 happyharry

happyharry

Megger

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

the HP pipes connecting the fuel rail to injectors, or the fuel return pipes (small rubber ones that look like 2 X's joined together.)
i would clean any diesel or oil and from these parts. then take the car out for a run (though all ranges of driving) and recheck.
i had the same problem, i thought it was the fuel return pipes because the clip to the injector came off to easyly (after buying the new part) found that the thread on one of the injector was wet (diesel) i got a spanner to it, problem sloved.

keep us posted
Mondy 2.0 TDC[color:red]i[/color] Zetec 53plate (64mpg in the ford book and still tweaking things to get it)

#3 TdciDick

TdciDick

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

I had one of the union nuts on the injectors which was slightly looser than the others. One day it leaked and sprayed diesel across the engine - just turned the nut about 1/8th of a turn and that was it, problem solved.

No Mondeo anymore but now run around my GF's Mondy

#4 Zakapior

Zakapior

Megger

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

I had this same problem.

It turned out to be the pipe that runs from the fuel pump to the common rail was leaking diesel!

Do you have any other problems with your car, as my car didnt like being started when warm, the new pipe cured the problem?
Mint MK3 2.2 TDCi 155PS Titanium X in Metallic Black with Black Leather/Alcantara.

OEM Xenons, RSE Pack and OEM Satnav with Bluetooth Voice Control, Parking Sensors and Privacy Glass.

#5 happyharry

happyharry

Megger

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

the high pressure pipe are very senesitve to being over thighten, so be careful 1/8th should be more that enough.
Mondy 2.0 TDC[color:red]i[/color] Zetec 53plate (64mpg in the ford book and still tweaking things to get it)

#6 ojobson

ojobson

Megger

• Gold Member
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:36 AM

Cleaned everything and then took it on a long run, had a look and could see the threads on the common rail, where the pipe from the fuel pump connects, were wet, gave it a tighten and problem seems to be solved now.

Thanks very much!

Mondeo Mk3 | TDCI 130 LX | 2005

C-Max Mk1 | 1.8 Duratec HE Ghia | 2006
Ka Collection | 2005