News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Safe Steering wheel airbag removal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 SI_ST220

SI_ST220

Big Megger

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

I need to removal the steering wheel airbag. I understand to do this, I have to disconnect the battery. How long should I leave it disconnected before attempting to remove the airbag.

Also, how is it fixed to the steering wheel?
[color:blue]2002 State Blue Mondeo ST220 Hatchback[/color]
Bluetooth car kit / Chrome Vents / Auto Tint Mirror / Facelift leather armrest / Chrome cup holder / Chrome door Handles
/ Facelift ST220 Lower Grill with chrome trim and ST badge / Cruise Control / Premium Sound System Speakers
/ Body Colour Windscreen washers / Chrome windows & facelift rear quarters / Chrome Final Facelift rear lights
/ Rear Shelf Stowage / Rear Stowage / Cargo Net / Powerfold Prefacelift Mirrors

[color:red]Let the modifying commence...[/color]

#2 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Admin - In Training

• Administrators
  • 18,803 posts
  • 345 thanks

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:24 PM

i have not removed the battery when removing the airbag & so far not had a problem ( but if you want to be safe then do so & leave it a good 15-30 minutes )

the remove the airbag do the following

turn the wheel 1/4 turn either way from the straight ahead position

now undo the T30 torx screw in the hole in the back of the wheel you can now access at the top side of the wheel.

turn the wheel a 1.2 turn so the other end is now at the top & repeat.

the airbag is now loose from the wheel & can be moved outwards a little to get at the wiring

you will need to unclip the 2 plugs by pressing the 2 small tabs in at each side of the plug & then pulling the plug off ( if the tabs wont push in then slide the yellow tab away thats on the top of the plug & try again - sometimes they are not locked inplace & other times they are :} )

now its fully undone & just needs storing in a suitable static free location or suitable box if your not gunna be refitting it.

refitting is basically a reversal of the above :L
Too many mods to list in here but they can be seen here

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

Ford Etis Vehicle Information - Click Here

#3 SI_ST220

SI_ST220

Big Megger

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Thanks, all done. I disconnected the battery to be safe.
[color:blue]2002 State Blue Mondeo ST220 Hatchback[/color]
Bluetooth car kit / Chrome Vents / Auto Tint Mirror / Facelift leather armrest / Chrome cup holder / Chrome door Handles
/ Facelift ST220 Lower Grill with chrome trim and ST badge / Cruise Control / Premium Sound System Speakers
/ Body Colour Windscreen washers / Chrome windows & facelift rear quarters / Chrome Final Facelift rear lights
/ Rear Shelf Stowage / Rear Stowage / Cargo Net / Powerfold Prefacelift Mirrors

[color:red]Let the modifying commence...[/color]

#4 merchliza

merchliza

"THE RED IS HERE..."

• Members
  • 4,863 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

i have not removed the battery when removing the airbag & so far not had a problem ( but if you want to be safe then do so & leave it a good 15-30 minutes )

the remove the airbag do the following

turn the wheel 1/4 turn either way from the straight ahead position

now undo the T30 torx screw in the hole in the back of the wheel you can now access at the top side of the wheel.

turn the wheel a 1.2 turn so the other end is now at the top & repeat.

the airbag is now loose from the wheel & can be moved outwards a little to get at the wiring

you will need to unclip the 2 plugs by pressing the 2 small tabs in at each side of the plug & then pulling the plug off ( if the tabs wont push in then slide the yellow tab away thats on the top of the plug & try again - sometimes they are not locked inplace & other times they are :} )

now its fully undone & just needs storing in a suitable static free location or suitable box if your not gunna be refitting it.

refitting is basically a reversal of the above :L

if i disconnect the bayyery, do i need to remove both poles? or negative pole removal will do?

in order to be able to rotate the wheel, i would assume that i need to put the key isn't it on ignition 1?

ST WANNABEE MEMBER:third:

MK3 2.0 Ghia with all facelift ST kit,Private Plate,Cobra Sport Exhausts Sytem,K&N CAI,Front ST225 Braking Power, Eibach ProKit Springs,PFM Mirrors w/ Puddle Lights,Kenwood KVT-729DVD with Freeview Digital Box,Clifford Avantguard 5.5 with Remote Start & BlackJax,Cyber Eye Mobi Cam(Movement Sensitive),18" Inovit Aros/19" Zito 169,ST220 Steering Wheel,Parcel Shelf Retractable Sun Shade,Color-Coded Front/Rear Badges, ST220 Red Recaro Leather Interior,Necvox FD2560 Headrest Screens,[color:black]..ICE Set-up ongoing...

#5 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Admin - In Training

• Administrators
  • 18,803 posts
  • 345 thanks

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

just the ground will do but if you want to be 110% sure do both :}

as for the wheel then yep, the key may be needed to turn the wheel if the lock kicks in but without the battery on then you dont have anything to worry about ( with the battery still connected you just have to turn the key enough to undo the lock before the 1st position, if you hit the 1st position then just leave the airbag a further 15-20 mins to discharge again before commencing work on the 2nd screw )
Too many mods to list in here but they can be seen here

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

Ford Etis Vehicle Information - Click Here

#6 merchliza

merchliza

"THE RED IS HERE..."

• Members
  • 4,863 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

thanks.. i want to be 110% sure so will just disconnect both.....
ST WANNABEE MEMBER:third:

MK3 2.0 Ghia with all facelift ST kit,Private Plate,Cobra Sport Exhausts Sytem,K&N CAI,Front ST225 Braking Power, Eibach ProKit Springs,PFM Mirrors w/ Puddle Lights,Kenwood KVT-729DVD with Freeview Digital Box,Clifford Avantguard 5.5 with Remote Start & BlackJax,Cyber Eye Mobi Cam(Movement Sensitive),18" Inovit Aros/19" Zito 169,ST220 Steering Wheel,Parcel Shelf Retractable Sun Shade,Color-Coded Front/Rear Badges, ST220 Red Recaro Leather Interior,Necvox FD2560 Headrest Screens,[color:black]..ICE Set-up ongoing...