News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Heated windscreen not working

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 thegfb

thegfb

saxos are crap

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 60 thanks

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:56 AM

On the damp mornings recently, I thought I might use the heated windscreen/mirrors to clear them.

I pressed the switch and the LED lit up (I believe the mirrors are operated by the windscreen switch too?), but nothing happened. Neither cleared or even got warm.

The fact that neither work has stumped me. Any ideas?

#2 stevieb12345

stevieb12345

MEG Admiral

• Global Moderator
  • 5,533 posts
  • 145 thanks

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

The heated mirrors work of the back window.

#3 thegfb

thegfb

saxos are crap

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 60 thanks

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

Cheers mate, I did a bit more digging on the site and had opinions from different people that they were on the front or rear circuits but it seems you are right :)

So now then, the windscreen... from my research they too seem to have an epic fail rate. I will start with the obvious (fuses etc) then have a look at the connections.

This might be a stupid question too, but on the passenger side of the windscreen on the inside there is a black plastic thing a few inches long by an inch wide or so, adhered to the windscreen (but half hanging off) and connected to a wire. Could this be anything to do with it?

PS - thread title edited :)

#4 ryanadam

ryanadam

ryanadam

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

the electrical connections are under the grill where the wipers are in each corner off the windscreen easy to repair or check once you remove the grill i had the same problem one of the connection had rusted away made new connection wind screen started working.bill
Mondeo 130 TDCI Ghia X Tiptronic with sat-nav
look in my garage
http://www.fordmonde...ex.php?car/803/

#5 thegfb

thegfb

saxos are crap

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 60 thanks

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

Both fuses look fine, so I guess I ought to try to get that black plastic guard off. Looks like three bolts and the wipers off job?

#6 stevieb12345

stevieb12345

MEG Admiral

• Global Moderator
  • 5,533 posts
  • 145 thanks

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

just use this guide to take the plastic trim off.

http://fordwiki.co.u...e_Pollen_Filter

#7 thegfb

thegfb

saxos are crap

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 60 thanks

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

Cheers stevie. I can confirm this morning that both my rear window and mirrors do heat up (if I press the right button :P) but they don't get as warm as on my old Astra (the mirrors on that used to start steaming within about 10 seconds of pressing the button, not sure if that was right though).

#8 thegfb

thegfb

saxos are crap

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 60 thanks

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Tested the relay, that's working so one less thing to worry about.

I haven't had time to remove the plastic covers yet but my money is on connections underneath them. I've had a good look at the windscreen and there is one very, very tiny chip but it's nowhere near any of the filaments and is very small.

#9 thegfb

thegfb

saxos are crap

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 60 thanks

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Well, I removed the panels yesterday.

The connections at the bottom of the windscreen appear ok (they actually look insulated with some sort of rubber sleeving at the point where it is attached to the windscreen). I get the feeling the problem may be the connection at the top of the windscreen, since I could not get a continuity reading with my DMM from the solder point of the purple wire at the join at the bottom of the windscreen) to the end of the black wire (one that joins at the top) back at the male side of the connector plug. This was the same on both sides of the windscreen.

I cannot say for sure if the the bottom connections are good; they look too small and fiddly to start poking around. I would be too worried about cracking my windscreen to start messing about with these.

Incidentally, if the relay clicks when the button is pressed (both audibly and you can feel it click if you put your finger on it) is there still a chance that it could be the fault?

I would appreciate any help here, thanks :)