News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

ball joint easy change (in theory) has anyone done it like this before??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 carstecar

carstecar

Megger

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

Hi,This is my first post so Hi to all, i have just bought 2 replacement ball joints for my mk 3 zetec mondeo as they are knocking a little on a lock, ive got the ones that you fit onto the existing lower arm by grinding the rivets and bolting new ones in their place, anyhow after reading the warnings in the haynes manual about not pulling the lower arm down as it can ruin the rear hydro mount i think i have devised a way of avoiding dropping the subframe (although someones prob done this before)

Right..... jack up and remove the wheel and caliper including caliper mount and disc, grind the rivets out of old ball joint in situ, remove the ball joint pinch bolt then get a trolley jack and jack up under the hub assy to raise it up by a few inches allowing the lower arm to be lowered away from the hub after cracking old ball joint off, fit new one and bolt it up!
hopefully re fitting is a reversal of above etc etc,
havin a go tomo will post how it goes.

great forum by the way fellas!!!

#2 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Admin - In Training

• Administrators
  • 18,843 posts
  • 351 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2001 1.8 Mk3 Mondeo

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

i just handed teh keys to a trusted mech & let him have all the heartache when my mota needed both lower arm balljoints a couple of years ago.

he fitted the type like you have where you remove the old ones & bolt in the new uns & they have been ok since.

pretty sure they never dropped the subframe so your method is probably similar to what they used.
Too many mods to list in here but they can be seen here

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

Ford Etis Vehicle Information - Click Here

#3 carstecar

carstecar

Megger

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Yeah hopefully, i cant see why it wont work, will find out tomo.Just hope the new one locates easily but dropping the subframe just to change a ball joint is rediculous. Nice car by the way, checked out your mods you got too much time on your hands lol. :laugh:

#4 motorman116

motorman116

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo St Tdci
  • Name:Bill

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

After grinding the top and bottom heads of the rivets, I had to also drill them out, as even with grinding the ends of, they still wouldn't come out from the balljoint
2005 Ford Mondeo St Tdci, Performance Blue, with factory fitted Xenon Headlights, Asbo alloy wheels, K&N Panel Filter, Asbo Front Brakes, Ford 320mm front brake Discs, Ebc Turbo grooved and drilled rear discs, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Front & Rear Pads, H7 8000k Hid Fog Lights, L.E.D Side repeaters,581 Vision24 Amber indicator bulbs , Wingspeed Decat Pipe, Goodridge braided brake lines, Daytime running lights, Powerflow cat back with twin rear exhaust boxes with 4" tailpipes, Angel Eye Halo's, Detango front Indicators / chrome bulbs, Black eye headlights, Eibach Pro lowering springs, Airtec Pro Intercooler, Forge Silicone Hoses, CNL Custom Remap, Turbo Pressure, Oil Temp, Voltage gauges

#5 carstecar

carstecar

Megger

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, i failed miserably, got soaked in the rain and after grinding out the heads on 2 rivets they still wouldnt budge and couldnt get a good swing with a hammer and punch under the car :annoyed: so got a refund on the ball joints and got full wishbones instead, payin a local mech to fit them on wed. I have worked on a lot of cars over the years no prob but ford seem to design their cars to be a delibarate pain in the a**e.

#6 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Admin - In Training

• Administrators
  • 18,843 posts
  • 351 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2001 1.8 Mk3 Mondeo

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

i learned that yonks back, thought i would take the cheap option when my alternator failed ( did not fancy the £200 ish for a dealer part & was not too keen on the £100 for a recon unit ( both + fitting ) so i took a trip to a scrappers & got one for the princly sum of £20 ( & got £5 back when i took back my old unit too :D ) & set to fitting the begger myself as it looked easy enough looking at the alternator i had just purchased :}

i then got home & saw its location & did a readup of whats involved & did not like it one bit but carried on & chucked the haynes away with its complicated ways :} & eventually got it swapped out & its been fine since so i did well really but since then i have taken it to a mech for anything thats not just a simple undo & replace job as my car hates me so makes stuff as difficult as possible ( to the point where the mechs at the garage i use hide when they see me coming as the car always gives them trouble too :} )
Too many mods to list in here but they can be seen here

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

Ford Etis Vehicle Information - Click Here

#7 carstecar

carstecar

Megger

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

Lol, sounds about right, ive not had a ford for a long time before this one, sorry i got rid of my passat that was great, never let me down in the 75000 miles i had it, and the ball joints, although there are 8 on the front.....yes 8 were easy to change and not too expensive, also gone from 200 miles off 20 quid with the VW down to 130 miles off 20 quid with this but it drives superb so will keep it for now :)

#8 stripe88

stripe88

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  • 164 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2l ghiax

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

another way maby....get a g clamp, cut the top of the thread and grind to a punch, then put a big nut the g side to allow the top of the rivet to go through, then grind one side of the rivet and wind out, yes i know i think i think to much

#9 raynkar

raynkar

Argumentative bugger, but likes to help out

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  • 120 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

After reading this thread, I am glad it's not just me who takes their Mondeo to a mechanic.
I too have worked on every car I have owned, until buying a mk3. Everything is just a total pain to do on it.
I even took it to kwik fit to have to oil and filter changed :headshake: Mind you, they did the job for under thirty quid, which was less than the oil alone would have cost me!.

So I think it will be off to the garage again early next month to have the front nearside ball joint done.
My gorgeous mk3 TDCi MIX 'S' is now sorned. It was a great car that had over 70 modifications and was a real joy to drive and work on :)
I now have a run of the mill ST220 in panther black with a red leather interior. The new car does have some mods I've done including: aftermarket head unit, reversing camera, dash camera, full size ST spare wheel and extra interior lighting..............all transferred over from the MIX S :)

#10 Quagmire

Quagmire

Little Megger

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCI

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:59 AM

To fail is to learn.

I'm still learning. I learn on most of the jobs i undertake :whistling:
Usually filthy,
54 TDCI 115.