15 replies to this topic

#1 HF

HF

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

Hi guys
Hubby and I just bought an 05 Ghia X Mondeo with the Sony 6CD changer. Initially the CD part would not work at all. On dismantling the thing I discovered a stuck CD which I removed.

Now it accepts discs and says "Reading" but after a minute is says "check CD" and ejects the disc. I have tried a few different shop bought and home burned discs and it will not play any of them.
Any ideas please?

Thanked by 1 Member:
mawibri

#2 sandy52

sandy52

Little Megger

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

It could just be that the CD cant actually read the files?
Are you using a standard bought CD or one you have made? try a bought CD?
Try loading into another CD loadbay 2 instead of 3 etc.
If it isnt that try a hard reset- disconnect the power for 10 mins and try again. - if that doesnt work Im stuck.

Sandy52
Mondeo 2004 2.5 v6 Ghia x
standard car

#3 HF

HF

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

hi Sandy I've tried shop CDs and home burned ones in bays 1 and 2. It was disconnected from the power for about 1/2hr while I was getting out the CD which was stuck.

#4 busicam

busicam

Little Megger

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

I've just bought a 54 reg ghia with Sony 6 disc CD and it does exactly the same. (The vendor told me it wasn't working.) Took it to an independent car audio guy who said that Ford 6 disc changers are renowned for going wrong and only Ford can fix them. My local Ford garage quoted me £150 to fix it and they would have to send it away. There are a couple of identical Sony units on Ebay but they are selling at way over £100 and I'm wondering how long it would be before they also go wrong. Am now wondering if I can replace it with my trusty old JVC radio cassette with 12 CD changer from my old car. Looks like it might be the cheapest option if possible.
:driving: 2004 2.0 TDCi 130bhp Ghia estate

#5 stu056

stu056

Megger

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

I had what seems to be a similar if not the same problem with mine, had it in bits 2 or 3 times without success. I eventually bought another one and it was only when I bought that that I realised what the problem was!!

There is a shutter behind the CD slot to stop you putting CD's in before you press load. Only realised it was there when I tried to put one in before pressing load and couldn't. Then realised that my original stereo's shutter wasn't closing as I could put a CD in without pressing anything. So for one last time I had it in bits, gave the shutter cogs a wiggle and sprayed in some electrical contact cleaner and hey presto, it worked!!

Hope this helps
Told you I'd fix my stereo, Shame I'd already bought another one!!! Doh!!!!!!

53 plate Ghia X, no mods other than a jag key and chromed steering wheel spokes!!

Rear footwell lights still to fit and rear parcel shelf Sunblind when I can get round to it!!!
:L

#6 bigi

bigi

Freddy Kruger ate my mum

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 54 TDCi GHIA

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

I have a temporamental Sony 6CD too - it worked fine - then suddenly decided to stop spinning discs and saying "Check CD" - i opened it up and noticed it wasn't even trying to spin the disc up - i started the disc up after going onto CD (you can see the laser lighting up) - and hey presto it starts working again. It's done it 3 times now in the last 6 months - every time this cures it. Looing at a new stepper motor for the thing now as it sounds like that is failing and getting stuck...

#7 HF

HF

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

I haven't had it out again, but you can't put a CD in without pressing "load" so I don't think the shutter is the problem here.

#8 HF

HF

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

how do you mean please, started the disc up after going to CD?
I don't understand what it is you're saying you've done :)

#9 bigi

bigi

Freddy Kruger ate my mum

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 54 TDCi GHIA

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Basically once you have the set open and powered up, select CD on the front - you will just about be able to see or hear the laser lens clicking up and down trying to focus on the disc - at this point just spin the disc gently and it should start to spin up properly and start reading the disc.

It worked for me anyway.... :D

#10 relhist

relhist

Little Megger

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

Ehh. Mine does the same thing. Works-not works. You can check the operation of the spindle motor: insert cd and notice the angle of text on it when you insert. If the motor is faulty the unit goes "Check CD" and ejects it. The disk will be at the same angle as inserted. :tonofbricks:
But is it really the spindle motor or the controller IC?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users