6 replies to this topic

#1 rad121

rad121

Big Megger

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

I did this job last summer - you can't change the ECM switch it's built into the housing of the fan.
You can get them off ebay (recon) for around £37. I am not at all mechanically competant but I was able to do this job - just undo about four bolts, the hardest bit is getting the fan unit out as it's a real tight squeeze. You'll need to be inventive, and just remember the way it came out for getting the new one back in. Took me about an hour all in.
My problem was that the air con would work when I was moving, but warm air would return in traffic as the fan wasn't coming back on to simulate movement through the AC condensor, and it would auto cut off the AC. Once I started it again it was all fine. Is this what you're experiencing?

#2 Zoki_Foci

Zoki_Foci

Little Megger

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

For me basically its working fine, whether still or moving. Then the cold air would stop and I can hear a hissing sounds coming from the vents. Although I think on one motorway journey it was fine. So it is similar, I'm guessing the condenser cuts out due to temp being too high?

So to change the ECM Switch I have to change the fan? Are they costly?

Also which Relay should I swap round to check if it is the relay that is buggered??

#3 Zoki_Foci

Zoki_Foci

Little Megger

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

Also which one is the Relay for the AC fans, Maybe I'm being stupid but I can't see it in the wiki link above.

#4 Zoki_Foci

Zoki_Foci

Little Megger

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

Anyone help with this?

I'm starting to sweat on these warm days with no A/C.

#5 Zoki_Foci

Zoki_Foci

Little Megger

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

Ok, bad revelation today.

Was ragging the car a bit and then had to sit in traffic for ages while it was pretty warm and the temp started to rise then went back down when I started moving again.

I'm guessing none of the fans are working. Is this going to be down to fuses or relays? Cheers

#6 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mondeo Mk3 Moderator

• Members
  • 16,484 posts
  • 770 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Estate, TDCI 130 (6)

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:12 AM

Fuses F9, F33, F8 Control the engines cooling fan.

K163 and K45 relays. Besides those you have the temp sensor/switch and the fans motor itself.

Link to fuse info in my signature below.

2004 TDCi 130 LX Estate. (6)

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ......... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE ........... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

#7 rad121

rad121

Big Megger

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:36 PM

Refer to my last post. It's fan ecm, not the fuses. You'll need to change the entire fan unit - as I said in last post, £37 or so off ebay for a used one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users