News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Car Losing Power When Engine Is Warm! (Bogging Down Etc)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Trillion

Trillion

Little Megger

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:22 AM

Hi there!

Ongoing problem of late has been that when my car is properly heated up, I lose a lot of power, and when especially warm (driven along country roads, long motorway trips in the hot weather) the engine tends to hesitate massively, and sometimes even bog down and not accelerate at all!

There are no engine check/management lights on, and when the engine is moderately warm it drives BEAUTIFULLY!

One other thing, I also tend to find that if I turn the engine off for a few minutes after a problem like this occurs, and then start it again, the car will drive perfectly well again!

I'm very confused, I've read from some sources (albeit for another car) that an engine losing power when warm can relate to the cat being blocked up? I've thought about it being the lambda sensors, but since there's two of them, wouldn't the engine management light show up if one of them was sending a incoherent reading to the other?

I really just need someone to narrow this down!

A few other details about the car..

I suspect the head gasket is on its way out due to increased pressure in the cooling system and bubbling, though i've used some k-seal which should, if there is a problem, remove the symptoms of this.. I think (the pressure seems greatly reduced after using it) As far as I'm aware, the engine has NOT overheated though, and NEVER goes above just below the half way mark, ever.

The car struggles to start if the fuel tank is displaying as anything less than a quarter full.

Please help me find the cure for her, she's my pride and joy!

Really appreciate you reading! :)
2002 State Blue 1.8 petrol MK3:

• Eibach lowering springs (40MM front, 30MM rear)
  • Bluefin remapped
  • Custom induction kit with cold air feed
  • Flyeyes front light tint (rears to be done)
  • Splitfire HT ignition leads

#2 Trillion

Trillion

Little Megger

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:32 PM

Anyone have any ideas? I've been struggling with this for a while now.. I don't have much money to get the thing looked at..

Would a failing head gasket actually cause these problems?
2002 State Blue 1.8 petrol MK3:

• Eibach lowering springs (40MM front, 30MM rear)
  • Bluefin remapped
  • Custom induction kit with cold air feed
  • Flyeyes front light tint (rears to be done)
  • Splitfire HT ignition leads

#3 FunnyG

FunnyG

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

Anyone have any ideas? I've been struggling with this for a while now.. I don't have much money to get the thing looked at..

I have exactly the same problem as you describe (i spot that only second or third day when i bought the car), just my engine management light is on, it was actually soldered out and computer didn't read any faults, but i putted that in because i was expecting that it will be on, well i did checked lambda sensors both they seems to be fine as well i replaced ignition coil and leads, vacuum sensor, my ECU burned before and fuse for engine management, so some job was done still the same, so i am waiting for computer diagnostic again and i will see what i will be told. it is definitely something electronically cause when it is cold it goes full power full rpm only when it heats up it is starting to act like that.

#4 stripe88

stripe88

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  • 164 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2l ghiax

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

if your getting air in the system good chance this will give wrong readings to the ecu, other than that a freeflow air filter and new fuel filter are a cheap start, k seal stuff can work but depends at which point the gasket has gone(if it has) as for the cat the easiest quick check is to put your hand over the tailpipe check for a good blow(or shake it listen for rattles), compare to another if possible. best get a pressure check, garage or ebay diy, doesn't cost much.

#5 andy ghia x

andy ghia x

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:ford mondeo mk3

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

hi there

i'd check what the fuel trim reading is and then what the fuel pressure is.

hth
OBD-II scans in Lanarkshire using Autel MS509 ,Just ask.

Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2003 2.0 16v petrol.

#6 FunnyG

FunnyG

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:28 AM

the air is coming in fine i am sure about it, the thing is that it looks that it is either lacks air or fuel but this more like some kind of the sensor heats up by the time and starts sending wrong signal to ECU, because when it is cold it is good it heats up and starts to lack little of power and of course won't go further than 4k and when i am driving more than 40miles it goes even lover, and after i have to press clutch that rpm goes for a second to idle or stop the engine, so. It can't be air flow because it would give problem straight ahead. i checked lambda sensor seems to be ok.

#7 FunnyG

FunnyG

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Ok my friend, i just got Fault code reader, and came up with 4 fault codes P0141, P0171, P0443, P1131, basically all leading to o2/ lambda sensor, but there is two of them and i am not sure which one is bad one, maybe both, because it says that system is too lean by one of the codes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users