Little Megger

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4 Mondeo TDCi
  • Name:Huw

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

Right........

So my Mondy still doesn't want to pick up the satellites to make the sat nav work, but everything else on the touchscreen system works fine.
It's booked in with Mr Ford in a few weeks time, but they're already talking about a possible problem with the head unit itself and I'm buffered if I'm going to allow them to charge me a fortune for something that I'm fairly sure isn't a problem.

Now my aerial itself is completely seized onto it's base (found that out when I tried to put it into a car wash when I first got it), and as the sat nav stopped working in the freezing snow about 3 weeks ago I am leaning towards a problem with the aerial unit rather than the head unit. Of course I first need to get at the aerial base and remove it..........

How do I do that folks?

#2 The Artilleryman

The Artilleryman

Big Megger

• Members
  • 865 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus mk3 Titanium

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

I thought the gps aerial was behind the rear view mirror, attached to the windscreen.

To remove the aerial base on the roof :-

1. unclip interior light ( push small screwdriver into slot on windscreen side of light)

2. you will now see the connection/retaining nut for the aerial lead (may be torx screw - it's a nut for non DAB & torx screw for DAB - not sure about satnav fitted Mondeo's)

3. undo and base comes off - as you cannot remove the aerial rod, it's best if someone holds the base whilst you undo the fixing, to stop it falling and possibly amaging the paint work.
Mondeo mk1
Mondeo mk2
Mondeo mk3
Mondeo mk3 facelift
Mondeo mk4

Focus mk3 125ps Candy Red with city pack

#3 Jonesy76

Jonesy76

Little Megger

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

I thought the gps aerial was behind the rear view mirror, attached to the windscreen.

To remove the aerial base on the roof :-

1. unclip interior light ( push small screwdriver into slot on windscreen side of light)

2. you will now see the connection/retaining nut for the aerial lead (may be torx screw - it's a nut for non DAB & torx screw for DAB - not sure about satnav fitted Mondeo's)

3. undo and base comes off - as you cannot remove the aerial rod, it's best if someone holds the base whilst you undo the fixing, to stop it falling and possibly amaging the paint work.

Thanks ever so much for that. When I feel better that may well be a Saturday afternoon job!
There seems to be a disagreement about where the GPS antennae is for the NX touchscreen satnav, but it would make sense for it to be exposed in the aerial base due to mine stopping working.
Mr Ford seems to be the best part of useless because when I let them have a look at it the only thing that happened was that the settings were fiddled with by one of the mechanics and some glittering idiot then told me that the head unit may be broken.
Considering everything including the satnav (lost of course!) still works perfectly I find that very hard to believe, and think it's more a case of Fords own mechanics not encountering the touch screens very often and not having a clue what to do.

Put simply everything works! The only thing that doesn't work is the ability for the head unit to pick up the satellites to verify it's position.............

Now I may be a dental technician and not a motor electrics technician, but that to me screams antennae fault.

#4 The Artilleryman

The Artilleryman

Big Megger

• Members
  • 865 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus mk3 Titanium

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

There are 3 satnav headunits listed to the mk4, the NX - which you have - and a lower spec (and smaller screen) SD card one. Ford list 2 satnav aerials, one looks to fit to the windscreen and the other is in the aerial base on the roof. Normal way would be to compare main part of the part no. xxxx-18828-xx, but this does not match up to the h/u's which all use the same main no. 18K931, which is frustrating.
Mondeo mk1
Mondeo mk2
Mondeo mk3
Mondeo mk3 facelift
Mondeo mk4

Focus mk3 125ps Candy Red with city pack

#5 oovarvoo

oovarvoo

Little Megger

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk 4 Mondeo Tit X

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:06 AM

Thanks ever so much for that. When I feel better that may well be a Saturday afternoon job!
There seems to be a disagreement about where the GPS antennae is for the NX touchscreen satnav, but it would make sense for it to be exposed in the aerial base due to mine stopping working.
Mr Ford seems to be the best part of useless because when I let them have a look at it the only thing that happened was that the settings were fiddled with by one of the mechanics and some glittering idiot then told me that the head unit may be broken.
Considering everything including the satnav (lost of course!) still works perfectly I find that very hard to believe, and think it's more a case of Fords own mechanics not encountering the touch screens very often and not having a clue what to do.

Put simply everything works! The only thing that doesn't work is the ability for the head unit to pick up the satellites to verify it's position.............

Now I may be a dental technician and not a motor electrics technician, but that to me screams antennae fault.

Try an aftermarket GPS antenna on it(the mouse type ones), you can buy one on ebay for under a tenner but it has to have a fakra plug on it because that is what the NX takes. If it works you know its the GPS module atatched to the aerial,(GPS module is atatched to the aerial not in the rear view mirror). The connection of the GPS module could have come loose at the NX end.Do you know how to take the NX out of the dash to try this?

#6 Jonesy76

Jonesy76

Little Megger

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

Try an aftermarket GPS antenna on it(the mouse type ones), you can buy one on ebay for under a tenner but it has to have a fakra plug on it because that is what the NX takes. If it works you know its the GPS module atatched to the aerial,(GPS module is atatched to the aerial not in the rear view mirror). The connection of the GPS module could have come loose at the NX end.Do you know how to take the NX out of the dash to try this?

Don't know how do take the NX out of the dash, but I would guess it has something to do with the two slots in the top of the unit?
Advice as always is gratefully accepted.

#7 Jonesy76

Jonesy76

Little Megger

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

Jobs a good 'un!

Removed all the facia,
Got 4 stereo removal keys
Removed the NX Satnav unit
Unplugged the GPS aerial
Plugged in my £5.99 magnetic based GPS antennae from eBay
Stuck that to the roof (American cop show style!)
Turned on the sat nav

Et voila!

Unit immediately picks up 8 satellites!

Just shows how bloody stupid Fords technicians are!

Even better................

Because it's an aerial problem and not a sat nav problem (classified as in car entertainment) it should be covered under the warranty from the Lexus garage we got it from! Bonus! Dealing with Lexus is so much more pleasant than Ford.

#8 Mondeo-hopeful

Mondeo-hopeful

Megger

• Members
  • 3,390 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Tit X Sport 4

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

I love it when a plan comes together, well done.
BLUETOOTH MODULE INFO www.talkford.com/topic/147387-please-help-for-btvc/page__p__1403226#entry1403226
Check your CONVERS+ version www.talkford.com/topic/154824-convers-versions/
Check your SPECIFICATION on ETIS here http://www.etis.ford...5707F2.fcvas509
To search the forum more effectively go to google.co.uk add the following to the search box :site talkford mondeo mk4 <your query> e.g :site talkford mondeo mk4 bluetooth

09 2.2 Tit X Sport, Hypno Silver, options are keyless entry, privacy glass, 8 Way Powered Drivers Seat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users