#1 jiffle

jiffle

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:29 PM

I am about to take delivery of a 08 registered Duratorq 2.0L DOHC CR TC Dsl 143PS, Automatic Titanium X 5 Door that has covered about 55k. I went to my local Ford Dealer to get prices on services etc and was told by them that the cambelt on these cars should be changed at 62500 miles or 5 yrs and not a the 125,000 miles that I read about on this excellent forumn. I think that the service receptioist was a bit surprised at this frequency as he originally said 125,000 until corrected by a colleague. 62,500 is also the figure reported in ETIS but this does seem very low compared to some other vehicles and also the Mk1 Mondeo that I currently have. Has this mileage recently been changed due to some failures, is it something to do with the fact that the car is an automatice, or is it Ford being super cautious?

Thanks in anticpation of any advice

Mike

#2 Myfanwy Hertz

Myfanwy Hertz

Monsieur Kev

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0 Tit X
  • Name:Monsieur Kev

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:42 AM

I am sure it is 125,000 miles.

A 2007 Fiesta 1.6 diesel has a 150,000 interval.

Pity the MK4 does not have a chain cam belt like the MK3. It is a step backwards,

It would have been better to improve the design of a chain belt engine rather than build in a £400 bill at sometime in the car's life.

#3 RichBayliss

RichBayliss

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:37 PM

I checked against ETIS before buying my 58 reg Titanium - 125,000 miles - which I personally think is far too long. Belts wear out, I would expect 60,000 is more reasonable. I will probably change mine before 125,000...
2008 (58) Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 140
Titanium Spec
5-Door
Thunder Metallic

#4 Alex Heney

Alex Heney

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Edge Estate
  • Name:Alex Heney

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

I checked against ETIS before buying my 58 reg Titanium - 125,000 miles - which I personally think is far too long. Belts wear out, I would expect 60,000 is more reasonable. I will probably change mine before 125,000...

I've seen a lot of people posting similar things to this, and have never understood it.

Manufacturers simply don't give recommended intervals that are high enough there will be a significant number of failures before that. They would be stupid to do so, as that would result in them getting a reputation for excessive numbers of failures.

So why replace it any more often than is necessary?
Mondeo Mk IV Edge Estate 2.0TDCi 140
Silver-grey, no modifications
Registered August 2007, bought 2nd hand April 2011 with 92K on the clock

#5 RichBayliss

RichBayliss

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Some things need to be run in to work properly, so you shouldn't replace them too soon. The reason I would change my cambelt sooner is that a failure can cause catastrophic engine failure = replacement engine. I would just rather not chance it.

Each to their own, but I haven't heard of someone's engine being scrapped for over-changing their cambelt. :whistling:
2008 (58) Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 140
Titanium Spec
5-Door
Thunder Metallic

#6 Alex Heney

Alex Heney

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

POPULAR

Some things need to be run in to work properly, so you shouldn't replace them too soon. The reason I would change my cambelt sooner is that a failure can cause catastrophic engine failure = replacement engine. I would just rather not chance it.

Each to their own, but I haven't heard of someone's engine being scrapped for over-changing their cambelt. :whistling:

True, but it costs quite a bit, and if you do it early one time, then it is due early the next time (assuming you keep the car that long).

I fully accept that it doesn't harm the car in any way to do it early, it is the damage to the pocket that bothers me.
  • herrbohnen likes this

#7 herrbohnen

herrbohnen

grumpy old git

• Members
  • 1,506 posts
  • 51 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4.5 zetec estate

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

I changed mine ( 08) at 125 k , and it was in tip top condition

ford charge £249 but you have to have a service with that at £189

#8 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,557 posts
  • 79 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2014 A3 Saloon

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

I am about to take delivery of a 08 registered Duratorq 2.0L DOHC CR TC Dsl 143PS, Automatic Titanium X 5 Door that has covered about 55k. I went to my local Ford Dealer to get prices on services etc and was told by them that the cambelt on these cars should be changed at 62500 miles or 5 yrs and not a the 125,000 miles that I read about on this excellent forumn. I think that the service receptioist was a bit surprised at this frequency as he originally said 125,000 until corrected by a colleague. 62,500 is also the figure reported in ETIS but this does seem very low compared to some other vehicles and also the Mk1 Mondeo that I currently have. Has this mileage recently been changed due to some failures, is it something to do with the fact that the car is an automatice, or is it Ford being super cautious?

Thanks in anticpation of any advice

Mike

Hi, my 2.0l diesel manual quite clearly states every 125,000 on ETIS....
Chris

2013 Fiesta Titanium X       2014 A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSI S-Line
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost          Daytona Grey
Candy Blue.

#9 Alex Heney

Alex Heney

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:32 PM

Hi, my 2.0l diesel manual quite clearly states every 125,000 on ETIS....
Chris

So does mine, but looking upon ETIS using the model specifications rather than Reg No/VIN, there is just one model of 2.0L Duratorq which does have half that as the recommendation, which is on cars built between Feb '07 and June '08 with an Auto gearbox.

All other models since 02/2007 have had the 125000 mile interval.

Since he has said his is an '08 registered Auto, it will be the one listed with the shorter interval if the month of registration was between March and June :(

#10 Myfanwy Hertz

Myfanwy Hertz

Monsieur Kev

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0 Tit X
  • Name:Monsieur Kev

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

It is a pity we are even having this debate. I had assumed that my latest Mondeo had a chain cambelt like my previous MK3 2.2TDCi.

That engine was perfectly smooth and it did not have the potential time bomb built in of cambelt failure or at least of having the large cost of having it replaced sometime. I had expected the latest Mondeo to require less maintenance issues, not more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users