17 replies to this topic

#1 Duratec-Tom

Duratec-Tom

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

Hi All,
I'm new to the site and this is my first topic. I have a 2004 Mondeo LX (Automatic) with 2.0litre petrol Duratec HE engine. I bought the car in August last year and did not realise, at the time, that the MPG is not what it should be. At best on a long motorway run I've had 26mpg and around town this drops down to 18. Also, since January the car has developed a intermittent judder when coasting to a junction and also when under heavy load (climbing a hill at speed). However, this does not happen all the time.

I have changed the plugs, oil (twice), lambda (oxygen) sensor, fuel filter, air filter and gear box oil all of which has not helped. We have also removed the EGR valve and given this a clean. Has anyone got any other ideas which I have not thought of as this engine is driving me mad! (hence the name). No fault codes have been thrown up by the engine management system which is not much help either. I suspect the T-MAP sensor which I have ordered a replacement for but am unsure if this could have such a dramatic effect on the fuel economy.

Any help/ideas would be gratefully received.

#2 andy ghia x

andy ghia x

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford mondeo mk3

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hi All,
I'm new to the site and this is my first topic. I have a 2004 Mondeo LX (Automatic) with 2.0litre petrol Duratec HE engine. I bought the car in August last year and did not realise, at the time, that the MPG is not what it should be. At best on a long motorway run I've had 26mpg and around town this drops down to 18. Also, since January the car has developed a intermittent judder when coasting to a junction and also when under heavy load (climbing a hill at speed). However, this does not happen all the time.

I have changed the plugs, oil (twice), lambda (oxygen) sensor, fuel filter, air filter and gear box oil all of which has not helped. We have also removed the EGR valve and given this a clean. Has anyone got any other ideas which I have not thought of as this engine is driving me mad! (hence the name). No fault codes have been thrown up by the engine management system which is not much help either. I suspect the T-MAP sensor which I have ordered a replacement for but am unsure if this could have such a dramatic effect on the fuel economy.

Any help/ideas would be gratefully received.

hi there

sounds like the coil pack is breaking down under load. does your obd2 code reader do 'live' data? if so, what is the long term fuel reading?

hth
OBD-II scans in Lanarkshire using Autel MS509 ,Just ask.

Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2003 2.0 16v petrol.

#3 Duratec-Tom

Duratec-Tom

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hi Andy,

Thanks for commenting. I have read that it could be the coil pack but discounted this as it happens when you are coming to a junction with no load on the engine. Could it still be the pack and would this effect the economy? Also, I don't think its misfiring. The reader shows that the calculated engine load is always around 35% and sits at 45% when the engine is just ticking over, this seems high. I have not looked for the long term fuel economy but will check and see if I can find this out.

#4 4x416v

4x416v

Back!

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 7,607 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hi,

the judder is a missfire, this could be caused by the coil pack / HT Leads (best to change this anyway try to find a similar car on ebay which is being broken and buy new leads) could well be that your maf is on it's way out, when a maf is going it will cause a missfire and drastically increase the fueling (runs rich) as a faulty maf increases fuel pressure to compensate for a lack of air which it is not reading and hence over fueling. Best way to make sure if your MAF is working or not is dissconnect it and drive the car around, if the car feels worse then you know its not the MAF, if it's no different the MAF will need replacing.

HTH
Mk1 Mondeo 2.0si 4x4
Mk3 Mondeo Final Facelift 2.0 Ghia X
My Mk1 4x4 diary:
http://www.talkford....80#entry1497480
What's next: Mk3 ST220 Final Facelift or Mk4 2.5T tit x

Talk to me about Winter / Summer tyres, wheels and chassis mods.

#5 Duratec-Tom

Duratec-Tom

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

the judder is a missfire, this could be caused by the coil pack / HT Leads (best to change this anyway try to find a similar car on ebay which is being broken and buy new leads) could well be that your maf is on it's way out, when a maf is going it will cause a missfire and drastically increase the fueling (runs rich) as a faulty maf increases fuel pressure to compensate for a lack of air which it is not reading and hence over fueling. Best way to make sure if your MAF is working or not is dissconnect it and drive the car around, if the car feels worse then you know its not the MAF, if it's no different the MAF will need replacing.

HTH

Thanks for this, I will have a look for the coil pack. I looked for the MAF sensor as well but the duratec petrol engine doesn't have one. It uses a T-MAP sensor positioned in the inlet manifold. When I removed this it was covered with grime so I think this is worth replacing and have ordered a new one from Ford (£46.01). I can't help but think that the rubbish economy and judder are linked even though the judder started 3 months after I bought the car which has had the poor economy since I bought it.

#6 4x416v

4x416v

Back!

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 7,607 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

yes the missing and fuel economy are probably linked. My Mk3 2.0 Duratec HE averages 33 MPG combined cycle, so it sounds like your's is overfueling.
Mk1 Mondeo 2.0si 4x4
Mk3 Mondeo Final Facelift 2.0 Ghia X
My Mk1 4x4 diary:
http://www.talkford....80#entry1497480
What's next: Mk3 ST220 Final Facelift or Mk4 2.5T tit x

Talk to me about Winter / Summer tyres, wheels and chassis mods.

#7 Duratec-Tom

Duratec-Tom

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

yes the missing and fuel economy are probably linked. My Mk3 2.0 Duratec HE averages 33 MPG combined cycle, so it sounds like your's is overfueling.

Just an update on the issue, replaced the T-MAP sensor and this has helped on long distance journeys MPG climbs rapidly to mid 30's however around town it still nose dives back to 22-23 mpg. I don't think this is right. Does this still point to the coil pack, I think it does. Also does anyone know where I can check the fuel pressure? There is supposed to be a valve close to the injectors in the engine however I cannot find this. Would it be in a different place for an auto?

Also, do you think it makes any difference if I bought a coil pack, and leads, that weren't Ford? I have read that a damaged coil pack can also damage the ECU and cause issues when you replace it. Is this true?

#8 stripe88

stripe88

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2,283 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2l ghiax

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

the test port is the bit under the blue cap here (duratec HE)
Posted Image

if you dont release the pressure first use plenty of rags when you put the Gauge on/off, a standard tyre gauge will do.

4 cylinder 1.8 2.0 380 kPa (3.8 bar 55 Psi) +/- 5% at idle and greater then 250 kPa (2.5 bar 37 Psi) after ten mins.

V6 2.5 450 kPa (4.5 bar 65 Psi) +/- 5% at idle and greater than 320 kPa (3.2 bar 46 Psi) after ten mins.

btw whats your temperatures like on the dash display and temp gauge, maby running rich/lean

#9 Duratec-Tom

Duratec-Tom

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hi, great picture thanks for this. My car does not have this valve! Do you think it could be somewhere else as I assume there must be one. 53 plate auto (2.0l).

Temperature gauge never goes above the midway point although code reader shows coolant temp as high as 220f when driving. I assume that this is normal as these engines do run hot?

#10 bumdump1

bumdump1

GTR Manchester Meet Organiser

• Members
  • 1,724 posts
  • Name:Matt

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:01 PM

I have 2.0 auto as well, my mpg is around 29 around town Info says 26 - i dont do much motorway so i've never worked it out.

Auto's do use more over manuals!

Ford Mondeo Mk3 Estate Automatic in Oyster Silver - Modified and Upgraded

Common faults and guides for most Fords can be found in the:- TalkFord Wiki Guide

Ford Etis Online Technical Information:- Ford Etis

Greater Manchester Regional Group

Covering Stockport, Tameside, Oldham, Rochdale, Bury, Bolton, Wigan, Salford, Trafford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users