Kelvin Papp

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.6 EcoBoost
  • Name:Kelvin Papp

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hi All,

Settling into life with my new EcoBoost nicely :-)

A quick question to any other EcoBoost owners though - do you get a squeal/whistle at around 2,000rpm? I'm trying to work out whether it's turbo noise, or something else. To be perfectly honest, it doesn't sound especially turbo whiney (more squealy, and not especially mechanical if that makes sense)... would be interested to know if anyone else get's anything similar?

Kelvin

#2 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,557 posts
  • 79 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2014 A3 Saloon

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

Hi, I'll listen to mine when I next drive it, this time with the radio off :biggrin:
Chris

2013 Fiesta Titanium X       2014 A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSI S-Line
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost          Daytona Grey
Candy Blue.

#3 trickz

trickz

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:focus titanium x

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:38 AM

i get a sound around the same rpm,on mine it sounds like a metal resonance noise thought i had a heat shield rattling but me and a technician couldnt find anything,on a different note do you find the engine very tapperty on tickover? it made me that worried i checked if there was any oil in the bugger :}
1.6 ecoboost titanium x,tints,18" alloys,blue vision corner lamps and puddle lights.carbon/chrome badge and wheel gel overlays

Thanked by 1 Member:
ROD293

#4 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,557 posts
  • 79 thanks

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

Hi, you guys sure it isn't this exhaust 'feature' http://europeanmotor...litre-ecoboost/ causing the noise?
Chris

Candy Blue.

#5 Kelvin Papp

Kelvin Papp

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.6 EcoBoost
  • Name:Kelvin Papp

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

Hi, you guys sure it isn't this exhaust 'feature' http://europeanmotor...litre-ecoboost/ causing the noise?
Chris

Possibly, I wasn't aware of this feature...

As trickz indicates though, it's more of a metal resonance noise (good way to describe it :)) than an exhaust/engine noise. At first I thought it was turbo whistle, but it does definitely sound more metallic - i'll see if it settles down after a few more miles.

Trickz - it does sound a little tappety. Based on what i've read though, I gather this is fairly typical on the EcoBoosts?

Kelvin

#6 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,557 posts
  • 79 thanks

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hi All,

Settling into life with my new EcoBoost nicely :-)

A quick question to any other EcoBoost owners though - do you get a squeal/whistle at around 2,000rpm? I'm trying to work out whether it's turbo noise, or something else. To be perfectly honest, it doesn't sound especially turbo whiney (more squealy, and not especially mechanical if that makes sense)... would be interested to know if anyone else get's anything similar?

Kelvin

Hi, opened mine up and didn't get anything other than a nice noise, it does sound good and that 'sound symposer', who thought of this name, works really well. Are you revving the car whilst stationary by any chance? The tapping on idle is more likely to be the high pressure injectors.
Chris

Candy Blue.

#7 trickz

trickz

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:focus titanium x

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

:biggrin: i must say i was happy when i heard the growl from the induction as i just wasnt expecting it,coming from an st i thought it would sound flat,but no it sounds good for a four pot.
1.6 ecoboost titanium x,tints,18" alloys,blue vision corner lamps and puddle lights.carbon/chrome badge and wheel gel overlays

#8 littlbox

littlbox

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:c-max 150ps
  • Name:thanasis

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Is there anything new about the noise?
I too hear a metal resonance noise between 2k - 3k rpm when accelerating softly.
The noise is not too loud and you must be very focused to hear it even with the windows down.
The car has 11000 km on the odo but I noticed the noise recently, I am not sure it even existed until now.
That and the fact there is a slight vibration (since new) between idle and 3k rpm when reving the engine stationary makes me worry.

#9 ROD293

ROD293

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

i get a sound around the same rpm,on mine it sounds like a metal resonance noise thought i had a heat shield rattling but me and a technician couldnt find anything,on a different note do you find the engine very tapperty on tickover? it made me that worried i checked if there was any oil in the bugger :}

Hi, I actually build these engines from start to finish. The tappety noise is coming from the fuel pump bracket where there is a small tappet situated, there is nothing to worry about as this noise is with the engine from when it is built. The fuel pump bracket is situated on the exhuast side of the engine, top right hand corner under a rubber sound improver, See if there is one of these fitted. I hope this of some help.

Thanked by 1 Member:
trickz

#10 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,557 posts
  • 79 thanks

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

Posted Image i must say i was happy when i heard the growl from the induction as i just wasnt expecting it,coming from an st i thought it would sound flat,but no it sounds good for a four pot.

Hi, didn't the Mk2.5 ST have a 'sound symposer' http://www.rsownersc...ad.php?t=360215 But lets hope Ford have made them from a better material. Even some Porsche cars have one...
Chris

Candy Blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users