News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

How to change a fuse in a mondeo MK3 - (cigarette lighter one)

mondeo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Keith_27

Keith_27

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Keith

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

POPULAR

Hi,

Wow Ford sure tried to make this a tough one.
I found this video - couldn't have done it without it to be honest and I've owned a lot of cars before this one.
Hope this helps someone as much as it did me

Best wishes,

Keith
  • bcohen648 and HecklerUK like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
alankennedy

#2 alankennedy

alankennedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo zetec
  • Name:alan kennedy

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Cheers mate as my sat nav isn't charging & lost my manual so was clueless to where the fuses where housed as hopefully it's just the fuse that's burnt out,fingers crossed!
Be doing it first thing in the morning as I need my sat nav for work its essential!...
Many thanks!
work supplements too many bad habits that's why i don't bother about buying into a pension scheme!.....

#3 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mondeo Mk3 Moderator

• Mondeo Mk3 Moderator
  • 16,587 posts
  • 776 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Estate, TDCI 130 (6)

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

If the fuse has gone the socket is most likely the culprit. Muck collects in there and shorts it out or the terminals corrode slightly.

Dont forget the fuse has 2 positions, One permanently live and one live with the ignition on only.

2004 TDCi 130 LX Estate. (6)

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ......... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE ........... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

#4 scratch golf

scratch golf

rasa

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tdci mk3
  • Name:kenneth lansbury

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

arghhhhhhh. thats why,fuse went so i just took it out,wrapped a bit of tin foil around it then put it back,but noticed that it only worked when the ignition was on,it used to work without the key in the ignition,so cheers for that.

#5 Simonty

Simonty

Mk3 newbie

• Members
  • 4,105 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Ghia X TDCI
  • Name:Simon

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

This seems to be a common problem - is the fuse undersized I wonder? My new car (mk3) had the cig lighter fuse blown - I replaced it with the unused heated seats one as I was in a hurry and had none of the special tiny fuses the mk3 comes with. I also noticed the socket didn't work in my brother's mk3 either.

Old: 1997 Mk2 Si 2.0, 1996 Mk1 Ghia V6, 2002 Mk3 Zetec-S 2.5 V6, 2003 Mk3 Ghia X TDCI
Now: Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo with mods!

#6 scratch golf

scratch golf

rasa

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tdci mk3
  • Name:kenneth lansbury

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

like i say i just wrap i little tin foil around the prongs,stops it from blowing again,is there any damage i could do by doing this

#7 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mondeo Mk3 Moderator

• Mondeo Mk3 Moderator
  • 16,587 posts
  • 776 thanks

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

As long as you have 999 on speed dial and live close to the firestation then wrapping the fuse in tin foil wont do MUCH damage.

If they dont get to you quickly will your insurance cover you for fire of your own doing?

As above 2 positions for the fuse, Perm live or live with the ignition only. Choosing the right one? Maybe the actual socket
is faulty and shorting?

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ......... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE ........... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

#8 alankennedy

alankennedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

Yeh was the fuse,had slight problem getting glove compartment off ,I was going through procedure shown on your video & was nearly there when neighbour distracted me then my son jumped in driver side & ripped the rest out for me & broke the back left holding clasp,tried superglue to fix it but no good so either try again with an industrial glue or anyone got any idea what to do,get a whole new panel which looks expensive or is there anyone with anyway too fix this?
It's the back left holding clasp which is away with the holding screw altogether,basically as said the bits been broke right off & the only thing I can see which could be done is either glue or try to get something wedged in so I can get a holding to fix original screw in & then replace compartment or finally get a whole panel which at 1st glance seems to run right along the dash(expensive option),HELP!...
Many thanks A.
Ps;got tape over light switch for glove compartment to make sure it doesn't pop out & I'll wake up to a flat battery.
work supplements too many bad habits that's why i don't bother about buying into a pension scheme!.....

#9 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mondeo Mk3 Moderator

• Mondeo Mk3 Moderator
  • 16,587 posts
  • 776 thanks

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

Which bit is broken? The part on the glovebox or the C shape clip the box pushes onto? You can buy the clips
from ford.

Or ask one of teh guys who are breaking cars on here.

#10 alankennedy

alankennedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

It's the c shape clasp which the box pushes into so can't buy the clasp as that's fine it's the backing which it attaches to that's broken off with clasp & screw.
But problem solved me & a couple of mates put our brains in gear & came up with putting a hard plastic strip along the inside or backing for the clasp & screw it in,its 2 screws on both ends then as the clasp is ok then take holding screw off clasp & then attach it back on again to the strip of hard plastic,screwing it in which will be as strong as new!
Worked perfectly & is probably even stronger than original fixture!

But just a heads up for folk who have to remove glove compartment ,be very careful when taking clip off left back inside g/compartment & then push both ends gently in & drop it a couple of inches & gently pull it downwards & it'll pop out,don't make the mistake my son done & just use a bit of excess force & break the holding clasp right off the back holding!.....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mondeo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users