Photo

Should my next Focus be petrol or diesel?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 McKeith

McKeith

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.0 Estate
  • Name:Keith McIndoe

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

I change my car in July & intend to get another Focus. I'm looking to be fuel efficient, so which engine will be best?
90% of my driving is around Liverpool, so it's mostly start stop start stop etc. Please help!

#2 car-nut-86

car-nut-86

TF regular

• Members
  • 1,192 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Galaxy Zetec
  • Name:CJ

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Get a petrol and have LPG fitted, or find one with LPG already fitted. That is my opinion. The TDCi engines suffer from a lot niggly and expensive faults!

My Daily Runner & Top Project: 1999 Black Ford Galaxy Zetec MK1 2.3 Manual

#3 McKeith

McKeith

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.0 Estate
  • Name:Keith McIndoe

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, i was thinking to stick with the petrol What is LPG?

#4 marktddi

marktddi

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1,547 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 tddi
  • Name:mark

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

its gas mate
mondeo mk3 tddi 2001 162.8bhp lowered 30mm 18" lightweight inifite alloys 16" zetec alloys for the winter, black eyes and black lexus rear lights,duratorq di sunstrip back 3 windows tinted, egr blanked and a straight through exhaust with a cobra sport upswept backbox
carbon fibre effect vinyl on the roof, wing mirrors, door pillars
chrome weather strips with chrome black vinyls
front mount intercooler
K&n 57i induction kit st 2.2 st turbo
Decat

replaced with a 2007 mondeo mk3 2.2 titanium x

#5 zetec chris

zetec chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Zetec

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Ford have just announced a 1.0 litre turbo engine in the focus. Same power as a 1.6 but very economical. Perhaps something like that might suit?
Mondeo Zetec 2.0 tdci. Thunder metalic, build date 24.09.2008.

Maybe I am a Mondeo man afterall!

#6 Will86

Will86

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Focus Estate

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Tread carefully with the diesels. They will only really make financial sense if you're doing 15,000+ miles a year and according to most the 1.6 TDCi isn't as economical as you would hope. I'm getting low 50s from mine at best (varied long motorway and short town driving), admittedly its' only got 3500 miles on the clock and the weather has been cold but either it needs a lot more running in or it will fall short of the high 50s low 60s my old Focus did. For me though, it's the drive of the 1.6 TDCi that disappoints most. It's jerky at very low revs, has a throttle that's difficult to judge and a very low 1st gear, none of which you want in a town car. Also, with a lot of town driving you risk clogging up the particulate filter which is fitted to almost all diesels - they need good long motorway journeys to get up to temperature. So if you're sticking mostly around town, go for a petrol. As already mentioned above the 1.0 ecoboost is out very soon, but if you're after a good deal, I suspect dealers will be keen to shift the 1.6 petrols. A 1.6 125ps Titanium hatch I imagine would be quite a good buy.
2011 Ford Focus Estate
1.6 TDCi 115ps
Titanium X
Ink Blue

#7 blackfocusghia

blackfocusghia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford focus
  • Name:mark atkinson

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

I've had the 100bhp 1.6 petrol for 12 years (6 years in MK1 / MK2 Focus) I said this time I would never buy an underpowered petrol car again and always thought tdci had to be the way forward. However, the ecoboost is a great engine and nor I'm not so sure. I was looking at the 140 or 163 tdci (also thought I'd chip it upto close to 200bhp). I'm not sure which way to go. I do 14,000 miles a year.

What about whole life costs say 90,000 miles in tdci v ecoboost 180hb say. The tdci does not need additives in the DPF any longer I'm told, although I guess more can go wrong (and more expensive). Do we think that the ecooboost will stand the test over the longer term (bearing in mind turbo chargers, Variable valve timing etc).

#8 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,584 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2014 A3 Saloon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hi, that's the way to go with the diesels if you're not to bothered about the warrenty. I've had experience of a remapped 140 up to 175, on a Mk4 mondeo diesel, and I can honeslty say it completely transforms the car. However I'm still waiting for a remap on the 1.6 ecoboost for my Focus...
Chris

2013 Fiesta Titanium X       2014 A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSI S-Line
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost          Daytona Grey
Candy Blue.

#9 DerChef

DerChef

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus Titanium X

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

I would not get hung up on trying to second guess what respective cars will do financially as costs and tax constantly change. Also these things about reliability are urban myths. I owned a Honda Civic and if hear anybody more quotes me their "enviable reliability record" I will file it in the place where the sun don't shine :tonofbricks:

Give both a long test drive and see which one YOU prefer i.e low down torque or better rev range ect. :driving:

#10 Focus TDCi 115

Focus TDCi 115

Matthew Kirk

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:C-MAX (2008)
  • Name:Matthew Kirk

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

In my opinion, having previously owned a C-Max MK1 1.6 100ps, and now owning a MK3 1.6 TDCi Focus, the Focus' engine is marvellous. The C-Max had to be thrashed which obviously affected fuel economy. Although, the new Euro V diesels have to be driven like petrols now due to tighter emission laws. If I was in your situation, I would stick with the 1.6 125ps Titanium, good spec and engine. I had a C-MAX Titanium 1.6 125ps as a courtesy vehicle for the day and the engine suited the car well, so it should be incredibly good for the Focus. Only consider the 1.6 TDCi 115 if you are willing to use the motorway every so often. Remember too that if you do decide to buy a diesel, and therefore keep it for a long while, the DPF will have to be replaced which is a very expensive job.

Avoid the lower powered 1.6 105ps petrol unit found in the Edge and Zetec trims.

I'll tell you something; a family member owned a C-Max zetec 2.0 automatic and he thought the fuel economy was shocking but found the power was adequate. When he decided to change his car, he went for a Focus 1.6 petrol 100ps automatic estate. He assumed the car would have been more environmentally friendly whilst still having a respectable turn of speed. He said his 2.0 C-Max automatic was more powerful and more fuel efficient, and he also stated that going for a smaller engine doesn't neccesarily mean more miles per gallon.
C-Max 1.6 100ps Style (2008-2011)
Focus 1.6 TDCi 115 (2011- )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users