#1 bigi

bigi

Freddy Kruger ate my mum

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 54 TDCi GHIA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

I am constantly finding leaks from the joint of the turbo pipes on my tdci - i've replaced the pipe clips and cleaned them twice now, and they are leaking again. there's now damage to the pipes, new clips and no problems with the metal pipes either. Today, I found that i now have oil leaking out of the o/s intercooler exit hose.....ideas anyone....?

#2 shamus1

shamus1

no way hozay

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0 tdci titanium

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

i had one boost pipe that i kept finding a leak on so put new jubilee clips on it and it still leaked,so i bought a clip called mikalor of ebay and job done no more leak.hope this helps.

#3 bigi

bigi

Freddy Kruger ate my mum

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

@shamus1 do you mean the Mikalor T bar clips? i might just replace the whole turbo system set then as there has always been a slight weep from the EGR downpipe and there's no leaks in the pipe itself. I'm just wondering if it might be overboost causing it as one of the pipes thats started leaking has never done it before....is there an easy way to check? I guess i could just pull the actuator rod and see if it's stiff (it's a euro 3 vacuum model)? Two of the pipes that were leaking this time did seem to have loosened off - and these were two of the ones that i replaced with heavy duty clamps a month or so ago because of them leaking then, and when trying to tighten the ford clamps they twisted and snapped the heads off....! I must admit that the turbo doesn't seem as responsive recently, especially at the start of the turbo range, and when i've been putting my foot down on the motorway in 6th at about 70, the car doesn't seem to move much...

#4 shamus1

shamus1

no way hozay

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0 tdci titanium

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

IF YOU HAVE WEEPING ON ANY OF THE CLIPS YOUR TURBO WONT FEEL AS GOOD,YES IT IS THE T BAR CLAMPS,THEY ARE FANTASTIC.

#5 Mabok01

Mabok01

Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  • 258 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCI 130 2004
  • Name:Michael

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

@shamus1 do you mean the Mikalor T bar clips? i might just replace the whole turbo system set then as there has always been a slight weep from the EGR downpipe and there's no leaks in the pipe itself. I'm just wondering if it might be overboost causing it as one of the pipes thats started leaking has never done it before....is there an easy way to check? I guess i could just pull the actuator rod and see if it's stiff (it's a euro 3 vacuum model)? Two of the pipes that were leaking this time did seem to have loosened off - and these were two of the ones that i replaced with heavy duty clamps a month or so ago because of them leaking then, and when trying to tighten the ford clamps they twisted and snapped the heads off....! I must admit that the turbo doesn't seem as responsive recently, especially at the start of the turbo range, and when i've been putting my foot down on the motorway in 6th at about 70, the car doesn't seem to move much...

If your clips aren't holding tight then you are probably losing boost. That's why you are getting oil weepage. A little oil in the turbo pipes is normal but it shouldn't be huge amounts.

2004 Hatchback 130 TDCI Inkblue Mileage 443.000 Miles.

Genuine Ford fuel pump sprocket locking tool and pump mounting bolt tool for rent. Refundable deposit by Paypal required.

#6 bigi

bigi

Freddy Kruger ate my mum

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

Cheers for the replies guys. I guess i'll have to get some decent clips. I replaced the original turbo clips on the intercooler ages ago as they were knackered and theyve never leaked before - the ones on the turbo pipe running under the engine to the nearside were all replaced a month ago as they started leaking oil after refitting after a clutch change. I thought the jubilee clips would do the job as they were the heavy duty pressed ones - i must admit i was surprised how they seemed to have gone loose again as i had tightened them up as much as i dared without trashing the pipes! The only reason i'm a bit concerned is because the o/s pipe into the intercooler has now started leaking, and it hasn't leaked in the 6 months since i replaced it; thats why i thought there might be some overboost...guess i'll find the clamp sizes and order a set - anyone know off hand what size clamps they all are lol :)

#7 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,531 posts
  • 368 thanks

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

hi some oil misting is as the op says is normal but heavy oil deposits at joints is not normal . and in my opinion the turbo may be putting oil in to the turbo pipework because of some reasons . one being the oil is too light or is worn . as the oil wears it gets light and inky and can more easily get past the turbo seals . hence a lot of black light oil wil enter to pipework and will usually find and out . before it gets to the intake pipe where its gets burned and in extreeme cases can cause engine over revving . another reason can be down to using the wrong oil . 5w30 semi synthetic is the usual for these if this is the type of oil the motor has been given since new.. and a contributory factor can be a split in the boost pipe system from the turbo . this can cause the turbo to continue to boost and higher output and cause over boost hence light oil will be deposited anywhere it can find an out . also i would take off and thoughrly clean the intake manifold .as these can become caked with carbon and reduced causing pressure to raise in the pipework also . clean and check the egr. valve as if the egr valve is blocked in some instances the pressure can be increased in the turbo pipework. causing leaks...s

#8 bigi

bigi

Freddy Kruger ate my mum

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the pointers Salta. The oil had been in for about 8 months so definitely due a change - plus it was Fuchs oil and i didn't exactly rate it. changed filter and oil for some Ford Formula F at the weekend. The tightened clamps have improved the performance of the car EGR pipe and the intercooler pipes have always been a bit moist! any recommended ones - will jubilee clips just not do the business? I got mikalor clamps recommended before, but i guess they would also beed some locktite on the threads to make sure they don't back off? Can anyone advise the sizes i need, want to order this week but can't get under the car until the weekend now...

#9 gemo

gemo

Little Megger

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk3

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

my tdci had a fair amount of oil in its intercooler even though it was always looked after and never used any oil. If the intercooler hoses have been on for a while and dislodged (taken off) they often struggle to re seal as the rubber has been heavily compressed and does not recover well. I have got Samco intercooler hoses with Mikalor stainless clamps on all od f my intercooler hoses, The Mikalor are only a little more costly than good quality Jubilees clips but work much better.
04 Mondeo Ghia TDCI estate. De cat, Rover ron box, 10 spoke 18" alloys refurbished with new tyres.Eibach lowering springs Full leather interior heated and cooled. OEM Xenon headlights fitted. Interior lights swapped to LED,s. K&N Panel filter, Air tech intercooler, EGR Bypass, Forge hose set & Mikalor hose clamps. Asbo brakes, Superchiped , New Injectors and new Turbo. To do Fit ST 2.2 turbo. fit NoS and Water methanol injection. Change the exhaust for a stainless steel twin outlet.

#10 bigi

bigi

Freddy Kruger ate my mum

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Bump - Can anyone help with clamp sizes please? the Mikalor clamps only have a small (around 5-8mm) amount of movemenet compared to jubilee clips, so they need to be accurate! i'm not near the car until the weekend and want to order some online...any assistance pleeeeze? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users