17 replies to this topic

#1 nathanharold1987

nathanharold1987

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

Posted this in general car chat but thought I'd put it here too as may be more suitable here.

Right

Heres the story.

Used to have a MK3 mondeo last year, sold after 3yrs ownership and took it to around 100k miles. Bought a yr old Mazda 3 MPS (2.3 turbo petrol, 260BHP rocket ship). Fully intended on keeping Mazda for a good while but other half is now pregnant and going back part time so the Mazda has went the journey (plus I was doing more miles than anticipated due to increased workload at work).

Now driving a 1992 J reg Mercedes 190e 2.0 petrol auto with 150k miles on the clock. Solid little car and no doubt will go on forever but its a temporary car whilst I work out where I'm at.

We will probably be getting a caravan next year (I know, my life has changed so much!!) so i'll need something good for towing a caravan. Looking at the MK4 mondeo.

Now, which is best for towing (hatch or estate?). I know the mk3 estate was better than the hatch as it has self leveling suspension, is the mk4 the same?

What is reliability like petrol/diesel wise? Mileage will probs be around 60-70k on anything I buy with the view to doubling that whilst I have it, including towing a caravan.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Nathan
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.0 Petrol Auto
2010 Mazda 3 MPS 2.3 Turbo Petrol 260PS
2006 Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130 - Remapped to 165bhp

#2 malford

malford

Titanium X Sport

• Mondeo Mk4 Moderator
  • 1,093 posts
  • 69 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Titanium X Sport

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

Before purchasing double check the VIN plate and make sure that the combined actual laden weight of the car and caravan GTW does not exceed the Gross Train Weight GTW

The weight capability varies on the MK4 and I do remember a member on here returning his MK4 because the data in the sales brochure was incorrect and he couldn't tow his caravan legally.

http://www.towcar.info/
2013 Mondeo Titanium X Sport Wagon 2.2 PSA Turbo
Now on my 4th Mondeo...

#3 lamlash

lamlash

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Estate

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

I tow with a MK4 2.0TDCi 140 Estate. The noseweight is 90kg on the car (but limited to 85kg by my Thule detachable towbar) so it is easy to set up a good stable towing configuration. Although only 140HP the gearing is well judged and I normally tow in 5th gear at 60mph with cruise control on. Mine is Titanium X spec and doesn't have self levelling suspension - I think it was always an option even on the MK3 estate. However I don't think it is necessary on the Mondeo as the rear suspension doesn't sag much even when quite heavily loaded.

The estate has a slightly higher kerbweight than the hatchback and this is in your favour when towing. It's also considerably easier to reverse with or without parking sensors. The diesel has a slightly higher kerbweight than the petrol and a lot more low down grunt so is the preferred choice for caravanners. Reliability wise there probably isn't much in it except repair costs for common rail diesels can be very high when they're getting a bit leggy.

Towing mpg is about 27 overall with my 1250kg MTPLM single axle caravan,

Overall I'm very pleased with my Mondeo - it's quiet, smooth, well equipped and reasonably economical.

Like Malford says, you do need to carefully research the weights / towing limits and double check your driving license is appropriate (some newer licenses aren't suitable). Happy caravanning!

#4 Myfanwy Hertz

Myfanwy Hertz

Monsieur Kev

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0 Tit X
  • Name:Monsieur Kev

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have a 2.0 tdci Titanium X estate as well. Have just been towing a large four wheel van trailer to France and back hauling a ton of furniture. On a full tankful of diesel I only managed 392 miles before the fuel warning light came on and had to put 64.78 litres of fuel in to brim it again. This works out at 27.43mpg, so spot on with lamlash.

I also set the cruise control at 100kph or 62 mph and fifth gear was the best option. I have towed caravans for years and the MK4 Mondeo is an excellent tow car, one of the best. Same comment too regarding rear suspension. On my last MK3 estate I ordered the self levelling system, but on this car you do not need it as the blade suspension is quite resilient.

#5 Mondeo Al

Mondeo Al

TF regular

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.0 125 TX Nav
  • Name:Alan

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

I tow a 1480kg mtplm caravan with our hatchback 2.0 TDCi Titanium X. My car had the standard suspension which was a little soft at the back when laden. I have replaced the rear springs with MAD springs & it is now a fantastic
. Travelling with a full boot, 3 bikes on the roof & the caravan, I get around 27 mpg on a run with the cruise control set to 60mph gps (about 63 on the speedo).
As a towcar it is very difficult to fault & is actually better than the Peugeot 4007 (Mitsubishi Oulander clone) 2.2HDi I had before.
My car now has 44000 miles on it with no issues.

2014 Focus Titanium X Nav 1.0 125

Deep Impact Blue, Appearance Pack

#6 costeau

costeau

Dirty old Megger

• Gold Member
  • 1,253 posts
  • 80 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

http://www.direct.go...ions/DG_4022708
http://www.direct.go...cles/DG_4022564

Maybe worth checking whether it's worth getting your licence upgraded from category B to category B+E, if need be.

Mondeo Mk4 2008 (BA7) saloon 2.0 TDCi 130 PS (well, 152 PS with the Bluefin installed) Zetec Auto (TF-80/81SC)
Speedo cluster type 1, firmware: 0246
Audio system: Alpine iXA-W407BT (aftermarket)

#7 ianp45

ianp45

ianp45

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0tdci zetec 57
  • Name:ian

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

HI,
I tow a 2 year old Elddis Avante 505 miro 1322kg no bother with my 57 plate 2.0tdci hatchback, with 108,000 miles on the clock,using 6th gear on the motorway easily at 60mph,average mph around 30ish on the dashboard readout,not sure how accurate this is though.
I fitted rubber spring helpers to the rear springs which helped.
Really pleased with the performance overall.

#8 goldspeed

goldspeed

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2.2
  • Name:Peter Taylor

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

POPULAR

In the pasted ive had many estate tow cars but will take my hat off to ford for the 2.2 titanium x sport.. awsome tow car!!

Posted Image

• malford likes this

#9 doctor747

doctor747

Megger

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

MK4 2.0tdci 140 hatchback.
Caravan is a Bailey at MTPLM of ~1100kg.
Tows excellent, I get around 30mpg on the motorway, in 5th at 60mph
Kerbside weight is 1550kg BUT can legally tow 1800kg if you believe the data plate on the car!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2170 - Copy.JPG

57 plate MK4 2.0 tdci Titanium

#10 roberttrvrs

roberttrvrs

Thank god for parking sensors

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Titanium Est
  • Name:Rob

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hi.

Here is a picture of my Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 140bhp Titanium with 90k on the clock. I tow a bailey caravan at 1375kg and it tows amazing i really cant fault it. i also get around the 27 - 31mpg while towing. :lol:

IMAG0200.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users