???

• Members
  • 3,118 posts
  • 290 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:04 Zetec130TDCi Eur3
  • Name:peter scott

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

I've added a WiKi for this test: Injector Leak-Off Test

The ICU test in Fordiag shows reasonable correlation to my leak-off test if you look at the CNS results.

Bear in mind that they are numbered in firing order 1342.

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• 2nd injchange hot 750icu.jpg

F-Super Information ..................TDCi Injector Information

TDCi Injector Cleaning................Injector Leak-Off Test

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

Thanked by 1 Member:
Scopse

#2 Scopse

Scopse

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:tdci 130

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

Nice tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

When you say they are numbered in firing order does that mean Injector 1 on ForDiag is Injector 1, but Injector 2 on ForDiag is actually Injector 3 on the engine?

The same goes for Injector 3 being Injector 4 on the car and 4 being number 2 on the car?

Confusing huh?

#3 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,118 posts
  • 290 thanks

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hi Scopse,

Yes, I think you've interpreted correctly. See Fordiag reading of my codes and its headings.

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• 3rd inj codes.jpg

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

Thanked by 1 Member:
Scopse

#4 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,518 posts
  • 365 thanks

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Nice one PETER. Commendations on the nice clean eb and the concise test results and app.. did you expect the result on the last two injectors . and also did you feel you shuld have had a better result on the swad.. recon. injector . also there for consideration .. there may be some minor fluctuation s on the test .. e.g no vent on the bottles may cause air backpressure ....and fuel temp . also .. do you think thitry sec..s is sufficent ...s

#5 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,118 posts
  • 290 thanks

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

Hi Salta,

Thanks for your commendations. I had hoped that I only had one leaky injector because I knew original injector #1 was good (so why not the others?). Yes I was rather disappointed that the Swad. injector appears marginal. I've only just fitted this one and it hasn't done 1000 miles yet. It makes me wonder whether the test is different to what they use.

The bottles aren't very hermetic and they have lots of air in them so I don't think they restricted the flow. I guess I could put a pin hole in each top.
I conducted the test with the engine hot. The test is cribbed from the Delphi test from Nextech. (see the second test in the attachment below.)

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• Leak off test.jpg

#6 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,518 posts
  • 365 thanks

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

OK thank s again for the really informative test results .s I recon this is a great help to others contemplating this and i would love to see this test used for reference as it is explicit and concise.. umm and yeah on the swad injector recon it makes one wonder what exactly they do to bring the injector back inside the value which just about passes muster.. because it would appear that it was not reworked as well as you would expect .. I wouldent expect it to be exactly the same as a new injector but i would have expected it to be more inside the margin that you seem to have gotten . anyway again i recon your test was very accurate as you can plainly see the differences and as you had the history to back up the results then you have proven your results very well indeed. s

#7 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,118 posts
  • 290 thanks

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Salta. I have been thinking about the Swad injector and wondered if perhaps I have managed to contaminate it. If a particle of dirt got into the valve chamber then maybe it would not seat properly and leak.

I have now swapped out the 30ml injector and am just plucking up the courage to crack it open. If I find dirt rather than wear in its valve then perhaps there is hope of some DIY repair of injectors.

Peter

#8 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,118 posts
  • 290 thanks

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Having opened up my most leaky injector I can't say that there is very obvious wear on the parts of the control valve. The bottom part of the moveable section shows a slight less shiney finish that the two sections higher up but there is no sign of scoring.

One thing that might be significant is that there appears to have been a small piece of blue sealant trapped between the valve body and the solenoid body that it mates with.

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• P1050628.jpg
  • P1050622b.jpg

#9 mr zefect

mr zefect

TF regular

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • 66 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 130
  • Name:chris

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Are you going to clean it and try testing it again it would be intresting to see. i opened one of my old ones that was leaking off loads and dident find any wear or crap on the parts and it had only done 50k i have cleaned it and put it back together i might try it out when one of the others go down. It was quite easy to take apart just took lots of pics while taking it apart.
I have fordiag if anyone needs help coding injectors on early and late models and fault codes read/cleared in the west sussex/essex/surrey area just send me a measage and i will try to help.

#10 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,118 posts
  • 290 thanks

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hi Chris,

Yes, I think I'll adopt the same strategy as you and reinstall it when I get fed up the present set.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users