TwoSpanner

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Mark

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hello,

On a long drive yesterday I noticed that whenever I put my foot down there was a sound rather like a window or door not quite closed. It wasn't this because the sound went no matte what speed I was doing so long as I was cruising, and likewise no matter what speed I did when I put my foot down and the revs went above around 2250 it started. I had a quick look at the engine at a services and found there is a noticable waft of air coming up the side of the engine between the block and the air filter, I don't know exactly where from. If you rev it up a bit it's a strong air flow and it seems to be coming from the entire side of the engine though I find it hard to believe I can hear it inside with the radio on.

Having poured over this engine before and a prior Mk3 I can't say I've ever noticed this before, and it's be pretty hard to miss.

There is no obvious loss in performance though my MPG is slowly falling (I have a suspect oil cooler thermostat as well) or any new noises.

I haven't had chance to look with a torch to see exactly what is down that side of the engine but I guess the intercooler hose back to the air intake must be in that vicinity.

Any ideas what this might be?

#2 Rogerp1

Rogerp1

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 tdci

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Sounds like a tear in your EGR hose to me.

Do you get lots of black smoke when you rev up?

#3 jakthelad

jakthelad

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.0 tdci
  • Name:Stephen Butler

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

I had a similar problem and after checking all hoses found the turbo intercooler had a hole in it probably been hit with something. Replaced it and it now pulls like a train with no black smoke.
Hope this helps

#4 markleavesley

markleavesley

TwoSpanner

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

So far as I am aware the only smoke the car ever produces is a little puff when I first turn it over, but I will have a look tonight, easier to spot smoke in the dark when other drivers can light it up for you.

#5 markleavesley

markleavesley

TwoSpanner

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

Just had a look under the engine cover and couldn't see anything obvious. Started the engine and there it is, the breeze...which stopped as soon as the cooling fan stopped. I always thought the fan blew air through the radiator not into the engine bay? So maybe that is a red herring, maybe that is not the source of the noise whenever I accelerate.

#6 nilagin

nilagin

ME

• Members
  • 5,381 posts
  • 88 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus ST 3
  • Name:Neil

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

The fan sucks air through the radiator so will blow the air into the engine bay. I'd certainly check all hoses.

2013 Focus ST 3

Mods:- Nothing as yet. Eibach springs to start probably.

#7 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,531 posts
  • 368 thanks

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

yep the fan draws air back into the engine bay and is probably your source of air blown back there . and you would probalby hear it in the cabin if you were listinning out for it . but my worry would be why is the fan running so much . it it the a.c on all the time is the engine coolant ok. is the fan cowling noising . is the cht ok . .. the fan on these dosent run for long .. and hardly runs atall when the motor is being diven along mway. s

#8 markleavesley

markleavesley

TwoSpanner

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

It sounds for all the world like a window is open a crack and you're going down the motorway. Never heard it before and we certainly weren't listening out for new sounds! I'll see if it re-appears on my commute tomorrow though I have no idea how I'm going to locate it.

#9 markleavesley

markleavesley

TwoSpanner

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

The sound is extremely predictable. If I accelerate from say 20mph in 4th, the sound starts from 1500rpm and keeps going until I stop accelerating. If I drive at 20mph in 2nd there is no sound despite the high rpm. Same in 3rd and it starts around 2000/2250rpm.

Seems to be, and this is in laymans terms, the more stress I put the engine under to accelerate the earlier the sound starts.

If I red line it stationery you can't hear the sound, inside the cabin or with the bonnet open.

#10 markleavesley

markleavesley

TwoSpanner

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Fixed, fault was exactly as described and located by using the sound and looking for oil (it was spattered everywhere). Patched with some tape until I can get a new pipe. Not really had chance to test it other than on local roads but the noise difference in the cabin is astounding, even when idle and it def. pulls/accelerates better.

intercooler gash crop.jpg

Thanks everybody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users