News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Major Water Ingress Into Rear Passenger Footwell.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HecklerUK

HecklerUK

Inept Evil Overloard and speller

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK3 Mondeo Ghia X
  • Name:Gav

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

POPULAR

Noticed for the very first time today that the floor on the passenger side, rear footwell is swimming in water. Not just damp, but an actual puddle underneath floor that has soaked right through the carpet.

As it was getting dark I was unable to pin point the source of the water... but it's not coming from the front or rear as the carpets there were bone dry. It seems to be getting in under the carpet itself, perhaps around the door seal at the bottom. I can't feel and water from the base of the door, and the only water on the door seal itself could easily have come from my passenger getting in and out. I pulled the rear seat and checked under there too, no water getting in from near the C pillar or the rear window/boot and making it's way to the lowest point.

Is this a common problem, no water is getting in anywhere else. It's a 53 plate TDCi Saloon if that's any help.

Can't see any rust underneath any of the the doors that would idicate water issues.

Owned the car since March, and given the very wet summer we had this is the first time it's happened. I would have noticed a damp smell before, and I carry passengers regulary so it would have been noticed as the water was almost splashing around thei feet today.

I do recall that we had a massive hail storm last week and the car was parked on the drive facing slight down the slope... the first time it had been parked on the drive since buying it as I've only just sold my old car.

Any help appreciated... gonna need to pull up the carpet tomorrow and dry it all out. I hope there are no electrical bits down there that can be damaged.

The obvious point of entry to me would be around the bottom of the door seal, and then making it's way under the trim into the footwell... but the sheer amount of water there is a worry, it's like some one emptied a litre or two bottle.
  • keith poole likes this

#2 keith poole

keith poole

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:ford mondeo m3
  • Name:keith poole

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Hi your problem is the inner foam membrane which is stuck to the door with a mastic.it has probobly come apart at one point.take the door panel off and look along bottom of foam with. mirror and you will see wh it is .heat mastic with hair drier and restick foam that should cure it

#3 HecklerUK

HecklerUK

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Had the door panel off today, found a previous attempt at repair and ripped foam in one place.

The sticky stuff was no longer sticky, and looked like something else had been applied. So I cleaned it up as best I could, and applied some frame sealant around the underside of the foam to stick it back down fully. I then applied a few layers of duct tape to make sure the foam did not spring back up.

I then repair the rip in the foam as best I could... duct taped it all back together.

Tested with some water pour all over the window from the outside, and nothing showing around the repair... when it did show before the repair was made.

I know it's not a perfect repair, but given what I had available and the previous botched repair... it's the best I could hope to achieve I think.

Mopped up as much water as I could with a towel... need to find some way to dry it out properly though to avoid any dampness and odours.

#4 micloi

micloi

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

You could maybe dry it with a hair dryer?

#5 HecklerUK

HecklerUK

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

Went out to check the car again as we had rain over night... the problem is not solved.

I think I may have to remove the lower half of the foam, and get some plastic sheet to fix to the inside of the frame, that routes all water down below the edge it's leaking over. I can then refix the foam over the top again.

The foam is going to be difficult to remove without damaging it, and it's already damaged from a previous bodge... So aside from stripping the foam of entirely and replacing it with a new one, which will only fail again over time. My idea may last longer.

#6 Yorky

Yorky

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • 4 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yo could always get a second hand door of the same colour, I don't think they are that expensive.
2007 Mondeo Mk3 2.0 Ghia, modded with - power fold mirrors with remote key fob lock/unlock, OEM Xenon headlights, OEM headlight washers, Philips LED DRL side lights (these come on with the ignition), interior boot release (not fitted on later models for some bizarre reason known only to Ford), front chrome strip, black grilles, boot lip protector, Powerflex rear subframe bushes, fitted Xantia rear blind, flat aero wipers.

#7 ebrapup

ebrapup

Megger

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Check the front door on the same side too..
Mk3 TDdi Ghia X Est, medium steel blue
Mods done: Clear repeaters. Coloured bumper mouldings. Blue stitched gear lever gaitor and arm rest.

#8 HecklerUK

HecklerUK

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

It's only happening on the one door at the moment... But I may apply a fix to all of the doors to be safe.

Was just about to order some butyl tape from ebay... 10m long, 30mm wide double sided for under £10.

#9 keith poole

keith poole

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:ford mondeo m3
  • Name:keith poole

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi toolstation do a red rubber gasket in a mastick tube.bought some the other week for 5 pounds odd.never used it because i managed to heat the ford stuff with hair dryer.think tape might be a bad idea.the ford original black mastic is 15 pounds a metre wow!.the foam panel was £23,never used it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users