News Feed (View All Updates)
Major Water Ingress Into Rear Passenger Footwell.
Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:08 PM
As it was getting dark I was unable to pin point the source of the water... but it's not coming from the front or rear as the carpets there were bone dry. It seems to be getting in under the carpet itself, perhaps around the door seal at the bottom. I can't feel and water from the base of the door, and the only water on the door seal itself could easily have come from my passenger getting in and out. I pulled the rear seat and checked under there too, no water getting in from near the C pillar or the rear window/boot and making it's way to the lowest point.
Is this a common problem, no water is getting in anywhere else. It's a 53 plate TDCi Saloon if that's any help.
Can't see any rust underneath any of the the doors that would idicate water issues.
Owned the car since March, and given the very wet summer we had this is the first time it's happened. I would have noticed a damp smell before, and I carry passengers regulary so it would have been noticed as the water was almost splashing around thei feet today.
I do recall that we had a massive hail storm last week and the car was parked on the drive facing slight down the slope... the first time it had been parked on the drive since buying it as I've only just sold my old car.
Any help appreciated... gonna need to pull up the carpet tomorrow and dry it all out. I hope there are no electrical bits down there that can be damaged.
The obvious point of entry to me would be around the bottom of the door seal, and then making it's way under the trim into the footwell... but the sheer amount of water there is a worry, it's like some one emptied a litre or two bottle.
- keith poole likes this
Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:05 AM
Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:42 PM
The sticky stuff was no longer sticky, and looked like something else had been applied. So I cleaned it up as best I could, and applied some frame sealant around the underside of the foam to stick it back down fully. I then applied a few layers of duct tape to make sure the foam did not spring back up.
I then repair the rip in the foam as best I could... duct taped it all back together.
Tested with some water pour all over the window from the outside, and nothing showing around the repair... when it did show before the repair was made.
I know it's not a perfect repair, but given what I had available and the previous botched repair... it's the best I could hope to achieve I think.
Mopped up as much water as I could with a towel... need to find some way to dry it out properly though to avoid any dampness and odours.
Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:19 AM
I think I may have to remove the lower half of the foam, and get some plastic sheet to fix to the inside of the frame, that routes all water down below the edge it's leaking over. I can then refix the foam over the top again.
The foam is going to be difficult to remove without damaging it, and it's already damaged from a previous bodge... So aside from stripping the foam of entirely and replacing it with a new one, which will only fail again over time. My idea may last longer.
Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:58 PM
Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:02 PM
Mods done: Clear repeaters. Coloured bumper mouldings. Blue stitched gear lever gaitor and arm rest.
Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:24 AM
Was just about to order some butyl tape from ebay... 10m long, 30mm wide double sided for under £10.
Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:51 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users