badman1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2004 Mondeo TDCi
  • Name:Omar

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi, I want to attach a clear plastic hose from the filter to my pump.What sort of fittings will i need to do this? Should i get a fuel line from the scrappie and remove the plugs from it and attach it to this hose or can i use the existing ones on my car.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4609ce539b

how does it work exactly, is it if i rev the car hard and notice a steady stream of bubbles which confirm if there is a leak or not

#2 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,561 posts
  • 372 thanks

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

yep badman thats what i did i got a feed pipe in a scrappies that is the pipe which goes fromm the filter connection to the pump connection feed . i think its the feed marked by the arrow pointing out from the filter spout . what I did was i got the pipe which goes to a clipped connection over the timing chain cover it s about a foot or so long and so now you have a pipe with clipped connector at either end ..one end on the filter .the other end goes to the clip over the timing chain so I cut a section out of this and fitted a transparent piece of hard plastic pipe .somewhat like biro plastic but circular . [i got this at off a plastic kids toy but im sure it could be sourced elsewhere . anyway I managed to insert this into the cut piece of fuel pipe on both sides and secured with two jubilee.clips.. the reason you need hard pipe or good strong pipe is that the pump sucks or vacuums the fuel from the tank via the filter using the main injector pump on the tdci.. engine ... and you wont need to rev the stones out of the engine either .. to see the results if it is indeed drawing air . you will immediately see a succession of air bubbles being transported along the transparent pipe . some few bubbles is normal .. say ten bubbles i two minutes the pump can handle but .. a succession of bubbles will mean the pump is trying to compress air and this will affect the compression of the fuel to the injectors and make the engine run awful.. s

#3 badman1980

badman1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

yep badman thats what i did i got a feed pipe in a scrappies that is the pipe which goes fromm the filter connection to the pump connection feed . i think its the feed marked by the arrow pointing out from the filter spout . what I did was i got the pipe which goes to a clipped connection over the timing chain cover it s about a foot or so long and so now you have a pipe with clipped connector at either end ..one end on the filter .the other end goes to the clip over the timing chain so I cut a section out of this and fitted a transparent piece of hard plastic pipe .somewhat like biro plastic but circular . [i got this at off a plastic kids toy but im sure it could be sourced elsewhere . anyway I managed to insert this into the cut piece of fuel pipe on both sides and secured with two jubilee.clips.. the reason you need hard pipe or good strong pipe is that the pump sucks or vacuums the fuel from the tank via the filter using the main injector pump on the tdci.. engine ... and you wont need to rev the stones out of the engine either .. to see the results if it is indeed drawing air . you will immediately see a succession of air bubbles being transported along the transparent pipe . some few bubbles is normal .. say ten bubbles i two minutes the pump can handle but .. a succession of bubbles will mean the pump is trying to compress air and this will affect the compression of the fuel to the injectors and make the engine run awful.. s

Hi Salta, i think i know what you mean, plastic clip in between two hoses with jublees on either side.I will give it a go, i did the leak off test and my injectors are fine.So its either leaking or the IMV has be changed.

#4 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,561 posts
  • 372 thanks

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

air leaks are a real pain and occur more often that one sometimes thinks ..they occur usually on the clipped pipes and hence the piece of pipe you remove shuld be thoughroughly inspected before replacing and if possible what i woud usually do is fit new oring s inside the clipped connection . this is not and easy operation and you may find it very difficult but is well worth doing . . a way of testing around the clipps after you have reinstalled the pipe is to use some detergent well bubbled but not much other wise it may injest too much bubbles but you will see then dissapear if the pipe is sucking air . and this is one of the difficulties of finding an air leak on a the pipe because the liquid is being vacuumed up to the injector pump is will suck air into the line and even if when the engine is at rest the diesel will not seep out but the air will get sucked in ..s.good luck with it Omar ..i have to leave now but it is a well worth while opperation especially if yu find a leak the engine will run soo much smoother .. s

#5 scotsims

scotsims

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Omar when I go looking for air leaks I use a pice of clear pipe between the fillter and pump I then start putting grease around each fitting in turn until air bubbles disappear do each one in turn and give enough time between applications when grease is applied its so thick no air can pass through give it a go the pipe I used came from b&q can't remember inside od but I got stuff that was just a little to small I heated it with warm water then put it on it won't take that long may be around 30 mins what u got to loose

#6 badman1980

badman1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

cheers guys so you dont think its the IMV solenoid then? my injectors according to the leak off test are sound only 10-12ml leak back.

is there anything else on the pump that may need changing?

#7 mr zefect

mr zefect

TF regular

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • 66 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 130
  • Name:chris

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

What symtoms have you got i did a leak off test on my old injectors and were all fine after it started pinking like a nutter just when the turbo come on boost and white smoke on start up but after changing injectors and all was fine.
I have fordiag if anyone needs help coding injectors on early and late models and fault codes read/cleared in the west sussex/essex/surrey area just send me a measage and i will try to help.

#8 badman1980

badman1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

What symtoms have you got i did a leak off test on my old injectors and were all fine after it started pinking like a nutter just when the turbo come on boost and white smoke on start up but after changing injectors and all was fine.

Car drives fine plenty of power and no smoke but occasionally goes into limp mode with code P0251 usually noticed it when I change gears sharply or set off from stationary position

#9 mr zefect

mr zefect

TF regular

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • 66 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 130
  • Name:chris

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

I used to get fuel metering code to norm when i give it some welly it could be imv valve i did change that at the same time i was lucky we had a write off at work so i swoped it all over before it went for scrap but if injectors are naff the fuel pressure wont be right so will bring this code up.
I have fordiag if anyone needs help coding injectors on early and late models and fault codes read/cleared in the west sussex/essex/surrey area just send me a measage and i will try to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users