EricMcl

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Tit X 2.0 Diesel
  • Name:Eric

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hi new to this forum and hope someone can help. The front windscreen washer has stopped working on my 2009 Titanium X Mondeo 2.0L Diesel.

When the screen wash button on the stalk is pressed nothing happens, wipers do not operate and the washer pump does not work. I have looked at the user manual and Haynes and checked Fuse F34 in the engine bay and fuse F14 glove box and both seem to be ok. The Haynes manual shows a relay "c" for the front washer but Its unclear where it is located to check its operation. From what I can figure from the Haynes manual the washer jet button uses the can bus system to talk to the washer jet relay but not clear on the system operation.

Any information to assist in identifying component locations / fault diagnostics would be very much appreciated.

Eric

#2 costeau

costeau

Dirty old Megger

• Gold Member
  • 1,253 posts
  • 80 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

So you don't hear the buzz from the pump?
In the engine bay fuse box, you should check out F37, rather than F34.

If still no go, locate the pump, and check its electrical connector with a multimeter.
Unless Ford has made that too a CAN bus device, there should be two wires, and they should have +12V when pushing the washer button.

Mondeo Mk4 2008 (BA7) saloon 2.0 TDCi 130 PS (well, 152 PS with the Bluefin installed) Zetec Auto (TF-80/81SC)
Speedo cluster type 1, firmware: 0246
Audio system: Alpine iXA-W407BT (aftermarket)

#3 SteveyG

SteveyG

TF regular

• Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • 47 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4.5 TXS 2.2
  • Name:Steve

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

When the screen wash button on the stalk is pressed nothing happens, wipers do not operate and the washer pump does not work.

Do the wipers work normally? If they work normally I'd be inclined to think the button on the wiper stalk may be at fault.

#4 costeau

costeau

Dirty old Megger

• Gold Member
  • 1,253 posts
  • 80 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Working wipers shouldn't really make a difference. The wipers are not on the same fuses as the washers, at least not on the Mk4.
Still, it doesn't hurt to try…

Mondeo Mk4 2008 (BA7) saloon 2.0 TDCi 130 PS (well, 152 PS with the Bluefin installed) Zetec Auto (TF-80/81SC)
Speedo cluster type 1, firmware: 0246
Audio system: Alpine iXA-W407BT (aftermarket)

#5 EricMcl

EricMcl

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

My thanks to one and all for suggestions, the rear washer is working ok with the wiper automatically operating as washer operates. On looking at the Haynes manual again, it shows relays for the Front and Rear washers located in the Genereic Electronic Module which seems to be a sealed plastic box and not easy to access. When the rear washer is operated I can hear a relay operate below the glove box, I assume within the box wit the fuses.... when the button is pressed for the front screen wash the front windscreen washer relay is not operating, also the headlight washer does not operate or the wipers. not sure how the electronics are linked but impression is switch on stalk faulty or relay in GEM faulty and not working. All fuses checked including F37 and found ok. Wipers work normally when operated independently so it's issue withe the washer button relay or comms system...... I reckon relay is not operating for front screen hence motor not operation. Has anyone accessed the GEM Unit to test relays etc, do you need to disconnect battery and remove unit as suggested in Haynes Manual ?

Any thought appreciated and thanks for ideas to date.....

#6 SteveyG

SteveyG

TF regular

• Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Working wipers shouldn't really make a difference. The wipers are not on the same fuses as the washers, at least not on the Mk4.
Still, it doesn't hurt to try…

When you press the screenwash button, the wipers automatically operate. He said the wipers didn't operate when pressing the button, so it indicates that the problem isn't an issue with the washer pump but the wiper stalk or relay.

Edited by SteveyG, 15 January 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#7 EricMcl

EricMcl

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

My thanks for all of your thoughts, I tried moving the wiper stalk in various modes today while pressing the front washer button and managed to get washers to operate (once) typically I could not replicate this action a second time !

It would suggest its a problem with the stalk or can bus comms as relay did operate the washer all be it once and I am back to no function.

Not sure if contact cleaner sprayed into the stalk / button would help clean contacts. I note that replacement stalks can be picked up from salvage yards etc, does anyone know if they are a straight swop or if due to them using can bus communications they need to be programmed in some way to the car ?

Many thanks again for all of the suggestions.

#8 SteveyG

SteveyG

TF regular

• Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Straight swap, but I'd try contact cleaner first and then mashing the button a few times.

Thanked by 1 Member:
EricMcl

#9 EricMcl

EricMcl

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Will give the contact cleaner spray a try and hope for the best..... before frustration gets the better of me. I appreciate the info no straight swop of the stalk, reckon that will be the follow up plan if the spray is not successful.

Will update on progress in case it helps others !

#10 EricMcl

EricMcl

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

POPULAR

An update for info, disconnected battery and fitted a replacement washer stalk to the car. Screen wash working again.

Conclusion is faulty stalk now working nicely. My thanks for assistance and guidance re compatibility of replacement stalk.
  • SteveyG likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users