#1 *Ian*

*Ian*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Ok. I've brought this on myself :smoking: .
I was bored this morning, so amused myself looking at car accessories on Amazon. "Look at this" I said to the Mrs. "You plug it in to the diagnostic port on the car and it shows you all sorts of info about the engine on your phone". Sensing a certain amount of dubiosity from the Good Lady Wife at an imminent purchase of another 'toy' I ploughed on "It also shows diagnostic fault codes If, for example, the engine warning light comes on (You can see where this is going, can't you?) it can tell you what's wrong, and possibly save you loads of money. Needless to say I dismissed the trinket as a "When am I ever going to need that?" kind of thing.

This evening on the M6 :driving: , my engine warning light came on. After a brief moment of panic, I pulled over and checked the handbook. I satisfied myself that it was nothing too serious, as it's just a steady orange light, (Not flashing) which the handbook helpfully suggests, means 'something has gone wrong'.

Now, the car has just had a full service at a Halfords Auto Centre. Is it possible that the cause of the warning light is a loose sensor connection that they have jostled or incorrectly refitted? I don't intend to go rampaging 'round Halfords saying "Somebody on the internet says you've broke my motor", but if anybody can suggest any thing to check that may have been affected, before I fork out for a diagnostic. I would be extremely grateful. There may even be a virtual, internet pint in it for you. :beer:
Mondeo Titanium X 2007-, 2.2L Duratorq-TDCi (175PS) - DW, Stardust Silver (Metallic)

#2 Mondeo-hopeful

Mondeo-hopeful

Megger

• Members
  • 3,389 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Tit X Sport 4

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Coincidence me reckons, no sensors being disturbed during service unless they are incompetent.
BLUETOOTH MODULE INFO www.talkford.com/topic/147387-please-help-for-btvc/page__p__1403226#entry1403226
Check your CONVERS+ version www.talkford.com/topic/154824-convers-versions/
Check your SPECIFICATION on ETIS here http://www.etis.ford...5707F2.fcvas509
To search the forum more effectively go to google.co.uk add the following to the search box :site talkford mondeo mk4 <your query> e.g :site talkford mondeo mk4 bluetooth

09 2.2 Tit X Sport, Hypno Silver, options are keyless entry, privacy glass, 8 Way Powered Drivers Seat

#3 herrbohnen

herrbohnen

grumpy old git

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4.5 zetec estate

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Have a careful look under the bonnet, around the air box there are few wires that could be dislodged or damaged, I think it's the maf sensor, they could have done something there as they'll have to move that to change air filter

Edited by herrbohnen, 22 April 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#4 *Ian*

*Ian*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

POPULAR

Thanks for the replies. I took it to a local independent garage this morning and the diagnostic came up as "undefined code". The mechanic just shrugged, cleared it and said "Glitch. It seems to be running ok, so I wouldn't worry about it unless the light comes on again".
Trouble is. You can't help worrying, can you?
  • herrbohnen likes this
Mondeo Titanium X 2007-, 2.2L Duratorq-TDCi (175PS) - DW, Stardust Silver (Metallic)

#5 bailes1992

bailes1992

Mondeo Whisperer

• Gold Member
  • 2,468 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2008 Mondeo Titanium
  • Name:Sam

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

Sounds like your mechanic has a crap code reader!

He could have at lease given you the code!

2008 Ford Mondeo Titanium 1.8 TDCi (125ps)

145,000miles and counting.

Is it time for an ST220?

#6 Diverdave80

Diverdave80

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4 Mondeo Estate
  • Name:Dave

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Ian, whereabouts are you in the west midlands? I live in Worcestershire and have a Bluetooth OBD diagnostic reader with the Torque Pro app on my phone (the best piece of kit I have bought in my opinion), your more than welcome to come see it / try it on your car. My brother owns a Snap-On Ethos reader too :L

Edited by Diverdave80, 23 April 2013 - 07:41 AM.

2007 Mk4 Mondeo Estate Titanium 1.8TDCi
EGR Blanking Plate Fitted
4titx's Exterior & Interior LED's Fitted
Torque Pro App & Bluetooth OBDII Diagnostics Inc ElmConfig

#7 *Ian*

*Ian*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

He could have at lease given you the code!

You know, I never thought to ask. But then, it all happened so fast :dang:

Ian, whereabouts are you in the west midlands? I live in Worcestershire and have a Bluetooth OBD diagnostic reader with the Torque Pro app on my phone (the best piece of kit I have bought in my opinion), your more than welcome to come see it / try it on your car. My brother owns a Snap-On Ethos reader too :L

That's incredibly decent of you! But I'm guessing that because it's been reset, there'll be no code to read now. However if it does happen again, I will be taking a (very slow! :unsure: ) drive to Worcestershire. If the offer still stands ;) .

Definitely going to invest in the Bluetooth OBD diagnostic reader with the Torque Pro app though. so you may escape the pleasure of my company anyway.

#8 Diverdave80

Diverdave80

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

No, im sure it would of lost the code by now, but offer always stands. Fingers crossed it doesn't re-appear though!

#9 *Ian*

*Ian*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Have a careful look under the bonnet, around the air box there are few wires that could be dislodged or damaged, I think it's the maf sensor, they could have done something there as they'll have to move that to change air filter

I think we have a winner!
I took a trip to Chester yesterday. On the way back, the engine warning light came on again.
So, before I decided wether I should bother Driverdave80 :lol: (Cheers again for the offer mate!), I decided to get a few quotes:
  • Ford. Wouldn't quote over the phone. Needed to book it in for an 'Assesment', to see if it needs to go on the Diagnostic :crazy:
  • Local Unipart Centre. £57 for the Diagnostic.
  • Local 'Performance' Garage. £29 for theDiagnostic.
  • Maplin. £58 for a basic (Blinky coloured lights) ODBII reader
  • Ebay/Amazon. £20 or there abouts for a Bluetooth ODBII reader. (But I don't want to have to wait for it to be delivered until I can get this sorted).
So, I rang up the garage that cleared the code and said "Come back if it comes on again". He said he'd got another code reader he could try, and no he wouldn't charge me again. Fair enough, I thought, and sure enough, the SnapOn reader brings up Code P1102. Hmm, says the mechanic. "It seems to be something to do with the imobiliser."
Back home and a quick Google:
"P1102 MAF in range but lower than expected."
Possible causes
- Dirty mass air flow sensor
- Dirty mass air filter
- Mass air flow sensor harness is open or shorted
- Mass air flow sensor electrical circuit poor connection
- Intake air leaks
- Faulty mass air flow sensor

So, the question now, is. Coincidence? Or have Halfords cocked something up? For instance, could a cheap generic, faulty or incorrectly fitted air filter be causing this code? Or even worse. Is it possible they've naffed up the MAF? Is a MAF one of those things that shouldn't be touched/handled? From what I've read about them, they sound like a sensitive, easily cockup-able piece of kit.
I'd like to get a look at the air filter, but if I touch it, and it is knackered, I'm leaving myself open to the accusation that I did it.
Hmm...I think I'll ring Halfords in a bit. But play it cool :smoking: . Not mention the error code. See what they say :kaffeetrinker_2:

#10 Diverdave80

Diverdave80

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Like I said mate, its no bother for me so offer always stands.

From what I have read on here, MAF's are sensitive little beasts, you could try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner (available from the likes of Maplins etc). You could also ask Halfords but when I changed my air filter I only un-plugged the MAF, I didn't remove it in any way so i doubt they will accept liability for the issue.

This post might enlighten you on MAF cleaning: http://www.talkford....3-maf-cleaning/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine warning light, service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users