Ford Automobiles Forum banner

DPF Cleaner?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Mazo 
#1 ·
I have a 2.0 TDCI with 86,000 miles. I am concerned about the DPF for the future, it is causing no issues at the moment and wanted to know what peoples thoughts are on DPF cleaners?

I have looked all over the web and this seems to be one of the best- Forte DPF Cleaner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forte-DPF-Cleaner-Regenerator-400ml/dp/B0061ATRK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393611066&sr=8-1&keywords=dpf+cleaner

I know a lot of people do not agree with additives and feel that it is a waste but just wanted to know of any experiences people have had when using any of theses products.

I look forward to your response.

#4 ·
Don't spend too much on additives though. It's questionable as to how effective anything designed to clean can be after its been used to propel you along the road Via a violent high pressure explosion.

To protect your dpf, use a good quality fuel and hope that your driving habits are conducive to having a car with a DPF.

Better quality fuel may produce less particulates, and mainly A road and motorway driving or at least long runs at steady Speed should also produce less soot.

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

#8 ·
Get a ELM327 Diagnostic lead as ex. this and download the free FORScan software to your laptop. You'll now be able to do a static regen of your DPF every now and then. That cleans the DPF. How effective it is, I don't know, but after I did this a while ago, the car seemed quicker and more responsive on the throttle.

#10 ·
The MK4 Mondeo does an active regeneration anyway using a bit of diesel on the exhaust stroke every few hundred miles. Mine is averaging about 370 miles per regen at the moment.

You'll notice a change in engine tone when it's regenerating. It'll be a much deeper rumbly note. The regen usually only lasts about 60 seconds.

As someone previously stated, get yourself a cheap £5 OBD2 bluetooth adapter off amazon and a copy of Forscan on a laptop. You'll be able to monitor the DPF status, when it last did a regen, how many failed regens, average mileage between regens and most crucially the pressure differential before and after the DPF so you can see if it's causing a blockage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.