Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Has anyone upgraded their mk4 Mondeo's brakes?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  a2klau 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was wondering about brake upgrades for my car and there's scarce information online about it - So far, I have discovered that the 2.5T Smax's 316mm calipers and disks will fit, and that the Volvo XC90's 336mm calipers/disks will fit the Smax.

Has anyone done such an upgrade? Or maybe even just fitted a decent set of pads and some braided brake lines for extra stopping power/feel?

#2 ·
Not done it, but have thought about it. I think the Volvo set up is on the V70 too... can't quite remember but I did look up the measurements of the discs vs the standard disc size and it all appears to be ok, Just not sure about the caliper/carrier and hub mounting, but from my understanding, the V70 shares the same suspension parts.

The standard discs and pads seem to do a good enough job anyway.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, over a 5 year period I had 4 new Focus ST225s, some remapped, and now after running the Mondeo from new I find the Mondeo brakes spot on and equal to the STs re performance etc. I don't hang about either, quite often doing a 600 mile round trip to Penzance and back the same day.
Unless you are using it as a track car the brakes are totally acceptable.
However it is personal taste and satisfaction

Reactions: herrbohnen
#5 ·
Well a lot depends on what behaviour characteristic you are trying to improve; 'better' is essentially a value judgement.

For me. initially the brakes were 'grabby' and my highest priority was getting this grabbiness under control. If I had been fading the brakes, I might have done something entirely different.

Anyway while I am sure that larger diameter disks can be better, I didn't feel any need to go down that route. If you do do that ensure that the larger diameter disks fit the wheels that you have fitted; if there isn't enough clearance between the wheels and the disks you won't get enough airflow and the temperature will rise too fast (although you wouldn't notice on a quick prod of the brakes; then they might feel better, but on heavy use, you could find that they fade, because of the lack of cooling).

Anyway, uprated pads are a lot more sensible, from the point of view of expense, particularly if you have to put on new pads. But, whether it does what you want rather depends on what you want.

#6 ·
As said before, it is personal taste and satisfaction.

From an operating/efficiency/stopping ability, call it what you will, there is no actual need to upgrade the brakes on a Mondeo (unless used for track use)

On the obvious understanding the brakes are in correct working order, if you are "fading" the brakes out on a public highway you are driving that dangerously you should not have a driving licence as you are a danger to others!

Reactions: herrbohnen
#7 ·
I have to say the brakes are very good, SO much better than the ones on my old ST220. I was just musing really, I like to upgrade things :)

They are a bit grabby though but that's probably just the Ford pads.

#8 ·
The smax 316mm are also used in the v70 and s80.
They will fit perfectly.

There are also 330mm discs from the s80 V8 awd, they are also a good fit.
Downside is: their weight. I am sure this will affect acceleration in a bad way.

I used the 316mm, works like a charm. In my opinion the best compromise on weight and stopping power while keeping Costs down

#9 ·
The smax 316mm are also used in the v70 and s80.
They will fit perfectly.

There are also 330mm discs from the s80 V8 awd, they are also a good fit.
Downside is: their weight. I am sure this will affect acceleration in a bad way.

I used the 316mm, works like a charm. In my opinion the best compromise on weight and stopping power while keeping Costs down
Did you replace your calipers and carriers as well?

#11 ·
#12 ·
The design is a bit different compared to the 300mm setup.

The discs have better vents and the calipers are better quality.

I have chosen for 316mm because:

- I can stil use my 17" winter wheels.

- the weight

- is used by Ford (Smax 2,2tdci and 2.5t) and therefore programmable in the CC

I have the adaptive cruise control; programming the 316mm brakes in the CC changes the adaptive cruise braking calibration.

I notice that the 316mm brakes can handle a lot more 'sporty' braking than the 300mm ones.

The abs system takes note of the braking actions and disables the ACC (message in display) when the brakes heat up to much. This happens much less with the 316 setup. :biggrin:

#13 ·
Just to continue on the discussion here, I've just picked up a pair of Focus MK2 RS calipers that will use 336mm discs and just wondering with the extra unsprung weight at the front, its probably going to affect things up front a little right? Do the RS calipers weigh a noticable amount more than the stock Mondeo calipers?

Just weighing up my options (excuse the pun) since to balance this out I may need to invest in some light weight alloys to shave some weight off up front. The better option probably would be to get an entry level alloy caliper setup such as K Sport, D2 etc, but couldn't quite justify the cost since the car would still be a daily and only tracked once in a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.