Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Mk3 Mondeo aftermarket head unit

3K views 51 replies 8 participants last post by  PaigntonMarc 
#1 ·
Just ordered a new head unit for the ST and wanted to know if I need a ISO harness lead? Or will it plug straight it!

????????

#2 ·
Unless you have ordered a headunit specifically for the mk3 mondeo then you will need a ISO adapter which are available from Amazon or Ebay. Don't spends loads at Halfords for something that isn't going to be any different. You will also need and adapter and patch lead for the steering wheel controls to work.

#4 ·
Assuming you are fitting a single din yes you will need a fascia like something i have posted below to block of the extra gap that you will have once removing your standard radio. There are plenty of options of fascias on ebay. The radio should come supplied with a cage all the radios i have purchased and fitted have already had cages in the box.(All my radios been Sony) You should already have permanent live and accessory live there. You will be able to tell once you get it out one will be red and one will be yellow.

different fascia's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-Mondeo-MK3-2003-on-Fascia-Panel-Plate-Surround-Adaptor-Stereo-RL-FP-07-07-/161991804491?hash=item25b776c64b:g:w7oAAOSwKtVW0yys

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-MK3-Stereo-Radio-Fascia-Facia-Panel-Fitting-KIT-Surround-Adaptor-/260789707115?fits=Model%3AMondeo|Plat_Gen%3AMK+III&hash=item3cb847216b:g:wwQAAOSwKtlWoLyf

#6 ·
Topic has been moved from Multimedia, (pics etc) :L

Depending upon the year and previous unit that was fitted, you may need to fit a cage and/or modify the fascia to fit the unit.

The ignition live runs through the radio loom plugs, with the correct adapter lead you just plug the leads together, and push the unit in the hole.

#9 ·
It's pretty simple to fit a double din head unit in a mk3, either pre facelift or facelift.

What can make it more difficult is if your OEM head unit is a Sony, as that means a LOT more cutting inside the fascia, and more work to get the head unit to sit flush.

As per above you will need a quadlock connector suited to the brand of head unit you plan to fit, but buy one with a patch lead already connected so that you will still be able to use the steering wheel controls.

The other thing to note is that double din adaptor plates come in two colours: anthracite or gunmetal, so buy the one that suits your car which is most likely to be gunmetal as you have an ST.

#10 ·
Do it's a universal 100mm cage, asked my mate to fit it, he says he has done loads before no issues, so hopefully it will all go to plan!
Will post pics when done
Can I check something here. When you say your mate has done loads of head units do you mean in mk3 mondeos?

#15 ·
Good afternoon everyone, I bought a fascia the other day to put my sony dab stereo in my mk3. I got pins to remove standard radio, adaptor harness and aerial adaptor. Firstly I didn't buy the cheap fascia after the stories but nether the less it still fits like shite, so tight to fit and top corners Pop out and the aerial doesn't fit ive emailed them and they say I need a cage to hold the fascia in? I have the cage for the stereo fitted but not sure how this is supposed to hold in the fascia they say they've never had a problem with the aerial adaptor not fitting so clearly I must be the only person to buy one from them :( any advise on this '2nd cage' cheers

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good afternoon everyone, I bought a fascia the other day to put my sony dab stereo in my mk3. I got pins to remove standard radio, adaptor harness and aerial adaptor. Firstly I didn't buy the cheap fascia after the stories but nether the less it still fits like shite, so tight to fit and top corners Pop out and the aerial doesn't fit ive emailed them and they say I need a cage to hold the fascia in? I have the cage for the stereo fitted but not sure how this is supposed to hold in the fascia they say they've never had a problem with the aerial adaptor not fitting so clearly I must be the only person to buy one from them :( any advise on this '2nd cage' cheers
If you post up some pics we can maybe give you advice after looking at them.
Have you read the threads on this site about fitting a double din in a facelift?

I'm not sure about the cage to hold the fascia part as the fascia adaptors secure the the cars fascia with no extra fixings needed.

Are you saying that you aren't sure how to secure the double din cage to the fascia adaptor?

Any pics you can post can only help IMHO. This isn't a difficult job despite the mk3 being a less than ideal car to work on :)

#17 ·
The fascia is to fit a single din stereo (I should have stated this) it's also in a facelift dash, I'm not too sure on how to upload pics could you help me out? :)

#18 ·
The fascia is to fit a single din stereo (I should have stated this) it's also in a facelift dash, I'm not too sure on how to upload pics could you help me out? :)
Ok. It doesn't matter to be honest as the adaptor plate is still exactly the same size overall, and he cage still fits in the same way.

To upload pics I use photobucket as a hosting agent.
There are probably better sites but m pretty rubbish with tech and it works for me :)

I upload my photos to photobucket and then copy and paste the pic from that site to this.

#19 ·
Above you say the adaptor is popping out at the top.
If that's correct this is what should be happening and how it should be fixed:

At the base of the adaptor plate there are two prongs that stick out at ninety degrees to the plate. These two prongs have a barb at their ends on the lower side.

At the top of the plate there are two plastic rectangles at the sides of the plate. These normally need a springy metal fixing pushed over each one. The fixings have a sprung barb on them that should face outwards towards the sides. When you place the plate into the fascia opening the bottom goes in first and he two barbs on the lower prongs will click over the lip of the opening at the inside edge and lock it into place.
When the top is pushed into place the top fixings lock into place too. The top fixings normally only work correctly once, and if you remove the adaptor again they either fall off of the sprung parts get crushed and don't click into place a second time.

#20 ·
Sorry for the late reply was fitting new puddle lights and footwell lights ;)
What you mention above is exactly how I did it, what seems to be happening.... The fascia has a lower pocket to put all my losing scratch cards :) but it seems to be holding the fascia too high by sitting on the bottom of the "hole" does this make sense?

#21 ·
Ok, is he adaptor plate the correct one for your car?

the adaptors come in two types per size of head unit from what I remember.
I'm not sure if it will make any difference in your case, but if there were two single din adaptors one would be for cars that had the Sony head unit and the other would be for cars with the 6000 head unit. The fascias for each OEM head unit were different and so some companies provide two adaptors.

Without pics it doesn't make sense for the credit card slot to be sitting on the bottom edge of the opening.

#22 ·
I checked the order and it states 04>07 mine is a 54plate I did however see that the aerial adaptor in the pic is the one I need and they had sent a complete different one so now I'm asking if they have sent the wrong kit... Out of curiosity, what aerial adaptor does the preface use? :D

#23 ·
Also raynkar could you pm me your email so I can send the pics through there? I can't do it here off my phone :(

#24 ·
Upload pictures by clicking the more reply options (bottom right)

Then down below on the left it says browse, browse to the picture on your computer or

device and select the file. Then select attach file.

A line appears with the picture name and a small image.

Finally select add to post.

A good size is 800x600 - 1200 x 800, if you can size them first.

#25 ·
Upload pictures by clicking the more reply options (bottom right)

Then down below on the left it says browse, browse to the picture on your computer or
device and select the file. Then select attach file.

A line appears with the picture name and a small image.

Finally select add to post.

A good size is 800x600 - 1200 x 800, if you can size them first.
I've just had a go at that :)
I don't think I've ever done it before!

#26 ·
Nope all I get is.... Post...
Full version. English
Terms of use

No other options :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.