Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Mondeo 2.5T tuning

8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Divia 
#1 ·
Am currently in the process of evaluating what is available tuning wise for my 2008 Mondeo Tit-X Estate 2.5T, and would appreciate anyones input/ advice who may have already gone down this path.

Initially I'm just thinking of going to the chipping route, and have been looking at the chips below:

Chipping

Superchips Bluefin - Claiming 49bhp & 89nm/ 69lb/ft increase, taking the car to a approx max of 260bhp & 406nm/ 299lb/ft.

Celtic Tuning - Claiming 62bhp & 107nm/ 79lb/ft increase, taking the car to a approx max of 278bhp & 427nm/ 315lb/ft.

Now I appreciate that the figures above are probably very speculative, but I was wondering if anyone had any real world experience and/ or figures for either of the above at all?

Further Mods

Now based on the fact that I'm looking at chipping the car, in my head it would be wise to at least upgrade the standard panel filter to either an K&N or a Pipercross upgrated panel filter before chipping it?

The only thing I'm not so sure about, is whether it would be wise to upgrade the standard boost solenoid/ turbo control valve to the Elevate Heavy Duty Turbo Control Valve before chipping it. Logic would tell me that with the potential increase in boost pressure, it would be very wise to upgrade this before hand as well. Would that be the case?

Future Mods

Looking further into the future, I'm also thinking about the following additional mods:

• Airtec Intercooler
  • Iridium High Power Spark Plugs
  • Elevate Turbo Intake Pipe
  • Sports De-Cat

Would I be right in assuming that if I added the Airtec Intercooler, I would need to get the car chipped again to get the most benefit from it ( I assume that is what's classed as a Stage 2 tune). If so I'm guessing I would be better of waiting to chip the car until I've got the Airtec fitted, rather than paying for 2 lots of chipping?

What about the other mods mentioned, are they worth doing at all?

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd advise doing all the mods first, then get the most out of them all with a remap.

As for exhaust, its your choice/preference, but you will get better gains with a better flowing sports cat.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
AS CAIS
AS airtec gen 3 intercooler
RS 300 injectors
RS spark plugs
3" downpipe
200 cell sport cat
3" cat back
RS oil cooler
Remap

Added 300 on injectors because you don't want the RS 350ps injectors because mountune also uprated the fuel pump but that was a focus part and I don't know if it fits a mondeo tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
RB2004, do you think OP should consider the block mod?

#7 ·
Lol block mod is debatable till you are blue in the face.

People swear by it, others don't.

Shame dreamscience stopped their bracing mod which converted the block to a solid deck block... It was better than block mod.

Cuts were implemented by Volvo on the original 5 pot engines for the purpose of expansion, ford still use it on then 2.3 duratec he engine and I've seen other manufacturers like Renault use it on engines older than 15 years old so not a new thing to cut slots in between the cylinders.

It's done for expansion and to aid cooling so the cylinders expand uniformly.

So filling the gaps in with strips of metal will cause ovalling of the bores however slight. Because the bore will expand and be forced against the adjacent bore causing ovalling.

Hence why the dreamscience brace, now discontinued I'm told was better because it braced the entire circumference of the cylinder bore making it impossible to go oval, that mod was fine and worked and since there has even been a ford endorsed mod for the duratec 2.3 sold by ford performance in America.

But they interestingly chose to brace entire block rather than fill the saw cuts wit strips of metal and that's probably why, ovalling, but with brace no ovalling.

66ee768f2261019942429045a76d898d.jpg

On that block ford removed the saw cuts in the factory then their partner tuning company installed the deck brace.

So nothing wrong with removing the cuts as long as the deck is braced like the dreamscience deck brace did and like that photo of the 2.3 block.

Only reason they cast them open deck in first place is because of manufacturing costs, less metal, less complex mould and less machine work.

But personally I wouldn't install the strips of metal in a block for reasons above, I would do deck brace if it was still available though.

However despite my opinion for above reasons based on fact, many do swear by it, haven't reported blown up engines and continue to use it regardless... However not many have had their engines opened up at a later date to check for ovalling or cracking so just because there appears no consequences doesn't mean none have occurred.

Best advice is to make your own personal unbiased decision, don't make a decision because me or anybody else says do it or don't do it... Look at facts, weigh it up and do what you feel is best for your engine personally.

If you have a 2009 onwards block they are less prone to cracking anyway because the liners are plasma coated prior to block casting which bonds them a lot better, and ford reduced the depth of the saw cut. But not entirely immune to cracking as some have still cracked... No facts or evidence though if this was down to a bad map tune or other circumstances though.

#8 ·
Ha, I thought I would stir you into a long verbal report on my question RB.
Good info though and fair and unbiased comments.
Its a pity you can't get a sponsor to financially support you into physically stripping cars that have had it done and those that haven't etc.
As you quite rightly say, block mod is debatable till you are blue in the face.
If it was me I would have it done, but that's me, I know you wouldn't

#9 ·
Lol,

I tried, no point putting a 1 side argument because both arguments have valid points and it's fair reasoning to want it done when a replacement engine costs a few grand new.

Would probably be difficult to compile data, would have to have data on mileage, modifications, power output, driving habits, what map is being run to get fair data.

Otherwise If you pulled apart a block mod engine and found it cracked you wouldn't know if crack was related to the block mod or the tuning or driving etc.

But some data would be nice on with and without effects.

I think it's a real shame though that dreamscience stopped selling their block brace as that had merit, even more so when ford are now offering a similar thing for their 2.3 ecoboost duratec he engine sold as a block only under ford performance. Much better than the shims and able to handle far more power.

#10 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a little late to this but i'm in the process of turning my Mondeo Estate Titx 2.5T into a grandad sleeper.

So far i wanted to put the car right so used it as a daily driver for a while, sorted out any mechanical issues but the main thing thing i've done so far is the block mod and my mechanic hated me for it! It's an 08 plate with 115k miles on it so it needed to cambelt changed so i thought why not get the blockmod done, square up the engine and leave me with some options in the future.

All gaskets replaced, head sent away to be scraped but crucially to have the head bolts repaired as many of them either sheered off when undoing them and a few were already snapped! I've also had the RS clutch put in as the clutch was slipping and i knew i wanted to get some more power out of it. I've also stuck the RS spark-plugs in they needed to be replaced too.

I've got the bluefin stage 1 on there at the minute, turns the car into what it should have been stock in my opinion but the power delivery isn't what i was expecting, you forget it's a 2.5l turbo given you have to get it up to 4k revs to get anything out of the map, hopefully a custom map will improve that.

Next steps in terms of performance are an uprated intercooler and an exhaust, i was thinking of a 2.5" powerflow system with a 200 cell sports cat, resonated as i need to keep the noise low for the dogs and longer journeys

I'm hoping to get about 300-320bhp from it for now.

#11 ·
Heard good things about Celtic Tuning but a bit concerned why their remaps quoted miles higher power than any others out there!

For my CDTi 115 they say +52bhp! Nearest remap to that is Optimum at +27 then the Bluefin at +22bhp but that's nearly £100 more.

#12 ·
Well on the very helpful focustoc site the guys never mention celtic. Always Superchips/Bluefin, Dreamscience, Collins, Revo etc for the st225s and st250s

Reactions: Offliner2808
#13 ·
My 2.5T exhaust is getting to the stage of replacing soon, so i'm looking at alternatives.

I've seen places that make them up, but will the cat be replaced as a matter of course and what are the differences in cat's?

Eg, a 200 cell sports cat what is it?

I've read on another exhaust manufacturers page that the above cat can only be used on a stage two remap to avoid the EML coming on.

So before i jump in any help is appreciated.

Reactions: harlowhammer
#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Martin, all your answers are on the focusstoc.com but I assume you are not a paid up member - £10 and worth every penny.

If you are not, let me know and I will get some info.

Stage 2 is irrelevant - it also depends on whose map it is - not as black or white as some think.

A sports cat is far less restricted and will meet MOT requirements and eml light is ok, the "correct" way to do it.

However it is far cheaper to just do a decat, which means fitting cat back on for MOT (officially!)

Reactions: harlowhammer
#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just thought, KAZUYADOG (Mick in Yorkshire) is a member on here and he will also be able to sort you out.
Has tuned 2.5 Mondeo etc and also member of focusstoc.

#16 ·
Trevor, yes you're right i'm not a paid up member on there.

But looking at it other than the engine, the sections i could read were all Focus and nothing for the Mondeo.

If the cat did need replacing i wouldn't go down the road of swapping it for an MOT.

If you don't mind if you could find any info out, i'd be obliged and if all else fails i'll PM Mick unless he turns up on here first.

#17 ·
Hi Martin,
I sent you a PM yesterday re the remaps etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.