TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Cleaning out scuttle panel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tommygoldy

tommygoldy

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ka MK1

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

I've noticed mine is full of leaves and rubbish. I've also owned enough old cars to know that accumulated crap here can lead to all sorts of problems... so clearing it out is on the to-do list.

Any tips for getting to it? I'm guessing the first job is to remove the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen, but I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone who's taken this bit of the Ka apart before... or if there's a way to do it without dismantling, then even better...

#2 siruncle

siruncle

munched many bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18414 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2.0 ghia mk2
  • Name:Pete

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

I can't remember what it looks like under there, but most have drainage holes at either end, sometimes its a flapped type hole, sometimes, just a hole.

If you need to get the scuttle, you'll need to remove the wiper arms, a few screw covers (plastic grommet type thing), then undo the screws.

To get the wiper arms off: Ensure the wipers are parked. Mark where the blades are at rest, either in the muck on the screen, or with tape. Lift the plastic caps on the arm pivot, undo and remove the nut (usually 13mm), i normally spray a little wd40 or similar on the splined shaft, so it soaks into the arms. Spray both sides and let the other side soak in.
Now lift the first arm up to where the spring holds it pointing up to the sky. Continue to apply a little pressure to the arm in the same direction, beyond where it wants to rest, then wiggle the arm from side to side. Normally they come off. Repeat on other arm. Note which arm came off which side.

Prise the plastic grommets off, undo the screws and the scuttle panels should pull up. Be aware there may be some wiring loom clipped to the scuttle panels, which you'll need to undo on the way off.

Refit in reverse, ensuring the scuttle is fitted correctly

From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/
2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver
This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)
Ever noticed that putting "anal" in front of some ford model names makes them sound funny? Fiesta, Probe, Ranger. Explorer, Maverick etc... lol

#3 tommygoldy

tommygoldy

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:58 PM

I can't remember what it looks like under there, but most have drainage holes at either end, sometimes its a flapped type hole, sometimes, just a hole.

If you need to get the scuttle, you'll need to remove the wiper arms, a few screw covers (plastic grommet type thing), then undo the screws.

To get the wiper arms off: Ensure the wipers are parked. Mark where the blades are at rest, either in the muck on the screen, or with tape. Lift the plastic caps on the arm pivot, undo and remove the nut (usually 13mm), i normally spray a little wd40 or similar on the splined shaft, so it soaks into the arms. Spray both sides and let the other side soak in.
Now lift the first arm up to where the spring holds it pointing up to the sky. Continue to apply a little pressure to the arm in the same direction, beyond where it wants to rest, then wiggle the arm from side to side. Normally they come off. Repeat on other arm. Note which arm came off which side.

Prise the plastic grommets off, undo the screws and the scuttle panels should pull up. Be aware there may be some wiring loom clipped to the scuttle panels, which you'll need to undo on the way off.

Refit in reverse, ensuring the scuttle is fitted correctly

Perfect, thank you.

Flapped drainage holes are there, but lots of crap visible behind the flap, and as it has a fairly fine grille behind it pretty tricky to dig out the stuff I think without taking it apart. Could try to wash it out and poke it as I go... but probably worthwhile doing it properly.

#4 siruncle

siruncle

munched many bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18414 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2.0 ghia mk2
  • Name:Pete

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

if they're blocked, and you drown it with water, you may end up with swimming pools in the footwells... lol

:L

From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/
2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver
This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)
Ever noticed that putting "anal" in front of some ford model names makes them sound funny? Fiesta, Probe, Ranger. Explorer, Maverick etc... lol

#5 tommygoldy

tommygoldy

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:11 PM

POPULAR

if they're blocked, and you drown it with water, you may end up with swimming pools in the footwells... lol

:L

Still not got round to this... but I washed the car the other day... guess what happened? :dang:

• siruncle likes this

#6 gotta.turbo.it

gotta.turbo.it

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo ST220

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

Water inside the car

#7 Mondy zetecs

Mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs