TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Car care/cleaning in between washes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DorsetSteve

DorsetSteve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus Zetec S Red
  • Name:Steve

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Hi all, got my new Focus last summer and have been pretty good so far at keeping it clean. Would give it a proper wash every 2-3 weeks over summer and early autumn, and mostly managed to give it a clean once a month over the winter so the dirt hasn't built up too much.

My plan is to give it a full detail at some point (hopefully) in the next month or so (snow foam, shampoo, de-tar, clay, wax, etc).

My question is whether anyone has any advice on keeping it clean in between washes once I've done this? I appreciate there is not really any substitute for a proper wash, but was hoping for a few quick tips if anyone has any? :)

#2 mike75

mike75

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

I find a good wax or sealant mate you can use a show wax but find it can be a bit hard work I use fusso you can get light or dark versions and I find it lasts really well (with right mix in your snow foam gun) I find the dirt just doesn't seem to stick to it I also put fk1000 on the wheels it's a high temp sealant and break dust flys of with just the jet wash I only do a full detail and strip twice a year autumn and spring and she stays niceImageUploadedByTalkFord.com1489166505.642106.jpg this is the side of my old mk3 mondeo the misses has it now haven't had chance to do the new one yet

#3 DorsetSteve

DorsetSteve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus Zetec S Red
  • Name:Steve

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Mike. I've been using Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax, but suspect I need to use more regularly. Still getting the hang of it as this is the first car I've really cared for properly (all previous cars were either a quick sponge/shampoo then rinse, or local car wash).

I've been using Scotts wheel cleaner but not any sealant afterwards, so will try out fk1000 :)

#4 mike75

mike75

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

It can be a steep learning curve but as long as you follow a good procedure the wax/sealent will last a decent time my procedure
Snow foam
Jet wash
Hand wash 2bm with lambs wool mit
De tar (tardis I use)
Fallout remover (iron x)
Jet wash
Clay bar (bilt hamber) I always use lube
Machine polish light or full
Remove residue of cutting compounds I use panel wipe
Now this is where your choices start really if you use a glaze like prima amigo (which is awesome on dark cars) then whatever wax or sealer you use its longevity will be drastically reduced what I like to do is get the paint as good as I can panel wipe then sealer (fusso) 1 coat 24hrs later another coat this will help the lsp ( last stage product wax/sealers) achieve the best easy 6 months Em with fusso but the most important thing and can't state this more make sure you get the right mix of snow foam and shampoo e.g. 1:40 etc this is crucial as if to strong will just eat the lsp away quickly once all this is done a simple snow foam will usually do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users