TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Banana engine lost all power and has loud knocking

banana engine knocking black smoke no power

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 THCMIST

THCMIST

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Banana engine
  • Name:john

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

Hi,

My banana engine recently had timing changed, it had the engine locked on all the correct holes, even the big hole on the fly wheel. After around a week the engine lost all power driving up hill to the point where i was high revving in 2nd gear and pumping out black smoke. At the same time as the power loss there came a loud knocking from the engine which after arriving back home, and me checking the noise was loudest at the rockers. I have taken the rocker head of and all is fine, there is movement in all the valves and rods and no interference when turned by hand. 

My question is does anyone know what the issue may be and if it is worth doing repairs as I don't want to take it all apart to find it is shot. The engine itself has only done 95k and has been quite sluggish since purchasing 7 months ago. I have done the usual changes, ie: fuel filter, fuel housing (the old one was leaking) air filter, oil filter, oil, coolant etc.

Thanks in advance :D

Edited by THCMIST, 14 March 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#2 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

TF regular

• Members
  • 1353 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

Hi,

My banana engine recently had timing changed, it had the engine locked on all the correct holes, even the big hole on the fly wheel. After around a week the engine lost all power driving up hill to the point where i was high revving in 2nd gear and pumping out black smoke. At the same time as the power loss there came a loud knocking from the engine which after arriving back home, and me checking the noise was loudest at the rockers. I have taken the rocker head of and all is fine, there is movement in all the valves and rods and no interference when turned by hand.

My question is does anyone know what the issue may be and if it is worth doing repairs as I don't want to take it all apart to find it is shot. The engine itself has only done 95k and has been quite sluggish since purchasing 7 months ago. I have done the usual changes, ie: fuel filter, fuel housing (the old one was leaking) air filter, oil filter, oil, coolant etc.

Thanks in advance :D

Hi these engines I'm sure ull know are bulletproof. I'd check the timing belt hasn't slipped, to me it sounds like it has and now the diesel pump is out of sync. The knock to me sounds like diesel knock due to bad timing.

#3 THCMIST

THCMIST

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

Hi yes i thought it may have been the case but all holes line up, so i am stuck with what it could be 

#4 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

TF regular

• Members
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

Have you blanked off the egr valve?

#5 THCMIST

THCMIST

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Have you blanked off the egr valve?

How would blanking the EGR help? 

#6 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

TF regular

• Members
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

It could be choking itself, after owning 2 mk5 transits Ive found blanking the egr and turning up the fuel pump 2 full turns makes a huge difference

#7 THCMIST

THCMIST

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

All sorted a rocker had cracked under neath on the fold :D thanks for all your replies

#8 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

TF regular

• Members
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Wow that could of been bad news! Glad you sussed it out mate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: banana engine, knocking, black smoke, no power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users