TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Competitor to BlackCircles, TyresOutlet on Ebay

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 23060 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2.2 Ghia

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:20 PM

In theory if the insurance company could pin the blame on something like you fitting

a tyre that was only rated for 70mph and you were doing 158mph and the incident

was a direct cause then they could argue against paying out.

No mention of load ratings in my manual, but the same could apply assuming you could

get a Mondeo sized tyre with a sub 65 load rating (290kg x4  1160kg) and stick them

on an estate car loaded to 2200kg and drove above the speed limit and crashed

because of that they could proecute you and the insurance again could claim

you caused the incident.

Would your MOT tester spot a tyre rated below whats suitable for the car?

2006 2.2 TDCi Ghia Estate (6).

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#12 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 1862 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk5 240ps
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

It does not matter what the mot tester may or may not notice, nor does it matter if you never go over 70, so fit lower spec tyres.
To totally comply, you should have the spec tyres on that the veh was homologated for and as stated in the handbook.
I am not fussed what others think is ok. Having been involved with new veh homoligation I will only ever fit what the manufacturer approves.
I have seen badly bamaged vehs with totally bald tyres and the repairs still get authorised by the assessor, because the body shop need the business. Legally the clm could have been denied. Lucky owner.

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Colour Magnetic, Built Sept 2015
Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten
Previously 4 Focus ST225s

#13 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 8932 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:10 PM

It does not matter what the mot tester may or may not notice, nor does it matter if you never go over 70, so fit lower spec tyres.
To totally comply, you should have the spec tyres on that the veh was homologated for and as stated in the handbook.
I am not fussed what others think is ok. Having been involved with new veh homoligation I will only ever fit what the manufacturer approves.
I have seen badly bamaged vehs with totally bald tyres and the repairs still get authorised by the assessor, because the body shop need the business. Legally the clm could have been denied. Lucky owner.

Can you expand on this a bit please?
If i fit tyres that are the size stated on the cars fuel cap or the owners handbook am I ok as long as they have a load rating higher than the max weight of the car and a speed rating higher than the cars top speed?
I always buy tyres with reinforced side walls (XL tyres) but dont remember that being specified anywhere even though it just serms to make sense to me.
Are you referring to size, speed and load rating rather than specific manufacturers?

Edited by raynkar, 09 April 2017 - 10:12 PM.

#14 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 1862 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk5 240ps
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

POPULAR

Yes, speed and load rating.
But its not that simple. The homoligated speed rating may be higher than the actual top speed the veh will do.
For example, the same size tyre that fits a porsche 911 is not homoligated/suitable for my own veh, re load
  • raynkar likes this

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Colour Magnetic, Built Sept 2015
Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten
Previously 4 Focus ST225s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users