TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

can you trust garages

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 diesel burner

diesel burner

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:55 mondeo 130 tdci
  • Name:Al

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:43 AM

Last November I helped a mate out financially with a new clutch in her 02 focus. Instead of bringing it to a trusted mechanic that I use, she wanted to get the job done locally to her as she didn't trust the clutch for the 150 mile drive... 5 months on and an mot pending and I find out that she was told after the job had been done that the clutch slave cylinder was on its way out. Shouldn't this have been flagged up while the whole lot was in bits or have I got the wrong idea? Now it's another biggish job and cost. Is it a garage trying to take advantage of a female or a case of blonde reasoning? She may have decided not to get it done last year to save a few pounds without realising the cost of doing it separately. .. I'm not syang that all women have no mechanical common sense, just this one... any advice on how to proceed would be gratefully accepted. How do I go about checking or testing a slave cylinder? I have never driven this car and will only see it a half hour before its test... I think they call this 'winging it'... and you may all laugh now...

#2 siruncle

siruncle

munched many bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18366 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2.0 ghia mk2
  • Name:Pete

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Sometimes bleeding them makes them better. Bleeds just like a brake caliper. Some have a little manual pedal adjustment, if there is, info will be in haynes manual, or possibly online?

They are a bit like rear drum pistons, and brake calipers, they work, or they don't.

The seals normally fail and you lose fluid, other than that, that's about it.

Definitely worth doing if you are having the clutch done.

From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/
2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver
This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)
Ever noticed that putting "anal" in front of some ford model names makes them sound funny? Fiesta, Probe, Ranger. Explorer, Maverick etc... lol

#3 diesel burner

diesel burner

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:55 mondeo 130 tdci
  • Name:Al

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for that. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users