TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Dim Headlights

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk5 estate
  • Name:Brian Highe

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

After a year of driving my Mk5, which has conventional headlights, I asked the garage to check the alignment. The lights are so dim it's almost dangerous to drive on country lanes in the dark. Any ideas about an upgrade? I had 100W bulbs in the main beam of my MGF for years with no MOT problems.

#2 jonro2009

jonro2009

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

POPULAR

I have changed my bulbs to the Phillips 55w bulbs that offer 130% better light output. They are a lot better than standard bulbs. You could go down the route of an HID kit, which is what I plan to do when I can get the bumper off or you could try the New Nightbreaker laser bulbs which claim to give a 130% increase too. I have no idea of the longevity of the bulb though and in past experience my Osram bulbs haven't lasted as long as I would expect. The Phillips are into their second year now and going strong.

Personally I wouldn't put 100W bulbs in as they don't seem to offer that much of an improvement, most importantly though I wouldn't trust the wiring. The OEM wiring was not designed to power thee bulbs and the lens housing is not tested to withstand the heat generated by a 100W bulb. I would trust an older car to cope over a newer fussier Ford. IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • mike4369 likes this

#3 herrbohnen

herrbohnen

grumpy old git

• Members
  • 2251 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk.5 tit estate 4x 4

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

cataracts?  ;-)    Ive found the standard headlights to be really good so there must be something amiss with yours

#4 Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:25 PM

No cataracts, I had my eyes tested last week. Which headlights do you have? Mine are standard halogen and the main beam in particular has no range, dipped beam is poor as well.

#5 Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

I have discounted HID conversion because of legality and warranty issues and have ordered Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs for both dip and main beam.

First remove the front bumper - what were that thinking?

#6 Jimbbobw1977

Jimbbobw1977

TF regular

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 180
  • Name:James

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

POPULAR

I have heard the standard headlights are useless
  • jonro2009 likes this
Mondeo Titanium X Pack Estate 180 Powershift Deep Impact Blue

#7 jonro2009

jonro2009

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

You will notice a difference with the Nightbreakers @YorkshireTyke but it won't be huge. Have you asked a local garage to have a look at the level for you, something like an MOT testing station. It could be that the headlights are set at the lowest tolerance. I know you can change the level using the dial but with it set to 0 there is a tolerance above and below what is the 'accepted norm', make sure yours are set to the upper tolerance. Can usually just be done for a couple of beer tokens. Mine were set low and moving them up made a difference.

There aren't really any issues regarding legality that can't be easily challenged. MOT testers are only allowed to test what is showing, they are not allowed to move anything. So, if the ballasts and bulbs are hidden in the lamp housing you're sorted. The argument of washers and self levelling systems having to be there are again easily cast aside by the words 'where present'. And if the police were to pull you and say it's aftermarket so therefore it is illegal can be challenged by saying any bulb put in after the OEM ones blow is an aftermarket part same as replacing the exhaust with a similar system to OEM is aftermarket.

Got carried away there, sorry. Warranty wise you're right, it may well effect the warranty using a kit but so would using 100W bulbs.

Hope you like your new bulbs when they arrive and enjoy fitting them not sure how the design passed through safety standards as you cannot easily change it at the roadside, which I thought was one of the criteria.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

Just one point, that of checking the alignment. I had a first service last month and asked for the alignment to be checked. They said that they had set it to the highest end of the range.

#9 herrbohnen

herrbohnen

grumpy old git

• Members
  • 2251 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk.5 tit estate 4x 4

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:57 AM

I have standard headlights or whichever ones come with the titanium model , I do a lot of night time driving and was impressed with the headlight power and  the auto high beam

#10 Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

OK, first remove the bumper. I followed the instructions in the manual however they are wrong! When it says in instruction 9 "separate the front bumper cover from the fender by gently pulling etc. etc." they forget to tell you that there is a push pin on one side locking the bumper in place. The answer is to remove this push pin, if fitted and loosen the 6mm hex bolts holding a plastic bracket onto the rest of the wing. You will need to do this to refit the bumper in any case.

The big problem is that the handbooks says H7 bulbs for main beam and H11 for dipped beam. However the dipped beam is H15 W5W with a twin filament.

So now I have spares for the fog lamps and no replacement for the dipped beam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users