TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Mondeo TDCI accelerates on it's own in a cold weather

tdci mondeo acceleration

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pop024

pop024

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Igor

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

Hi, 

Few days ago I noticed that when I'm driving steadily in any gear, for example in third around 40kmh, if I depress throttle pedal wehicle accelerates by itself to around 50 and it stays there. I'ts the same with the fourth gear, it goes to 60-62kmh and just keeps it there until I press cluch pedal, or brakes. On a warmer weather, when it's sunny(doesn't have to be +25-30c, +7-8c is just enough) there is no self acceleration, everything is normal.

Other thing that I should mention is crack in intercooler to egr hose which I have ordered and expecting it tomorrow to be delivered so I can replace it. Don't know if it affect other things, but the car idles poorly, like from 750rpm to 900. Sometimes it goes over 1000rpm, but only on cold days. EGR is blocked, car pulls very well, no black smoke, or any other smoke whatsoever, it starts instantly cold or hot, etc...

Only fault code I got on diagnostics was P007f(air intake temperature sensor)

Hope I gave enough information and would like to hear your opinions and advices.

Cheers!

Edited by pop024, 21 April 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#2 riptag100

riptag100

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK3 TDCI
  • Name:Mike

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Do you have cruise control? as pressing the clutch or brake pedal cancels it, could be an electronic fault

#3 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 23336 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2.2 Ghia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

40km/h = 25mph. Too slow for 3rd gear.

Sounds like a cruise control fault. Or maybe the clockspring?

2006 2.2 TDCi Ghia Estate (6).

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#4 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

TF regular

• Members
  • 1352 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

25mph is ok for 3rd it's the lowest speed I'll drop to in that gear though and I'll never try accelerate hard from 25mph but it's ok for things like, if the car ahead is slowing to turn into a junction

#5 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 23336 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2.2 Ghia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

With the extra fuel being pumped into a cold engine it will have enough torque to pull

itself along and that wont be good for the DMF.

2006 2.2 TDCi Ghia Estate (6).

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#6 oldbod

oldbod

Knows their stuff

• Members
  • 4832 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2002 TDCi 130
  • Name:Alan Severne

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:19 AM

I wonder, does it accelerate to 1500 rpm?

What are you using to read codes?Many generic including some expensive professional readers don't get all tdci codes...

Maf sensor maybe, if you have one try unplugging it..

The other replies you've had or will get are from people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  Treat what I post as something along the lines of intending to prompt "it won't be that, but I wonder if"  thoughts rather than informed advice. I know I do - treat my own thoughts that way I mean. 

#7 pop024

pop024

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:41 AM

@riptag100: I forgot to write that it doesn't have cruise control.

@PURPLE_2L_LX: I agree that 25mph is a bit too slow for 3rd, but that was just an example of what happens actually.

@oldbod: This model comes without MAF.

As for the acceleration rpm, I didn't pay attention to that, but I'll take it to a test drive now because weather today is a bit cold and cloudy and that's just perfect for my "ghost cruise control" to kick in :)

Hopefully the intercooler hose will be here in the next couple of hours so I can mount it and see if it makes any difference. Will report after.

#8 pop024

pop024

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

Update.
I drove 3-4 miles and it does accelerate on it's own, but just around 1500-1600rpm in any gear (2/3/4).
Just changed intercooler hose and no improvement whatsoever.
Is there a possibility that on this model MAP and air intake temperature sensor is merged into one cause I cant find any other sensor other the one located on the lower intercooler metal pipe?

#9 oldbod

oldbod

Knows their stuff

• Members
  • 4832 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2002 TDCi 130
  • Name:Alan Severne

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:52 PM

I'm guessing your code reader is not f_super/something running forscan.

Chances are you have a dodgy accelerator pedal or loom issue. The pedal assembly contains 3 potentiometers that generate different voltages, (so a short cant translate to full throttle please) and all also vary with pedal position. The pcm reads these, and if they all convert back to the same equivalent
pedal position, it uses that position for throttle. If they don't agree, it runs the engine at 1500 rpm so you can get home. Because it monitors the values continuously, if they come back into agreement, it pays attention again. The potentiometers wear most in the position you use most, because that's where they spend their time. So say for example you're accelerating gently at under 1500 rpm,you back off and the pedal hits the worn bit. Pcm says, oops, time for default value, tries for 1500 rpm, you go faster..

Good luck..

The other replies you've had or will get are from people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  Treat what I post as something along the lines of intending to prompt "it won't be that, but I wonder if"  thoughts rather than informed advice. I know I do - treat my own thoughts that way I mean. 

#10 pop024

pop024

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

You might be right cause later today I tried to dismantle throttle pedal, but no luck. I'ts held with three nuts, two on the left and one on the right side. The right one was unreachable because center console blocks it and I hadn't enough time to remove all of that. Instead, I did a small test by pressing pedal gently with hand mm by mm and rpm did respond normaly up until it reached arround 1850-1950rpm, then the revs gone up wildly just like it would if the pedal was pressed all the way down, and I didn't moved it one bit.

I repeated it one more time and got the same reaction. Pretty sure pedal is faulty.

The diagnostics was performed with ELM327+FORScan.

Edited by pop024, 22 April 2017 - 08:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tdci, mondeo, acceleration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users