TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Just hit a deer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 9104 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

Out in the car earlier and a muntjac deer ran out in front of the car. The other half was driving but niether of us saw it coming. It must have been between the two opposing armco barriers on a dual carriageway and ran in front the car wgen we were ten feet away.
Im absolutely gutted right now. We didn't kill it outright and I couldnt bring myself to depatch it. Just gutted now and needed to post to vent my frustration.

#2 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

TF regular

• Members
  • 1353 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:29 PM

Sorry to hear that Ryan :( poor deer and poor mondeo. You both must be shaken up right now and it's a horrible feeling to injure an animal. How's the car looking?

#3 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 9104 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

Sorry to hear that Ryan :( poor deer and poor mondeo. You both must be shaken up right now and it's a horrible feeling to injure an animal. How's the car looking?

We were in my Captur. Front bumper, wing, grill and various trims are obviously damaged even in the dark.
To be honest its only plastic and metal and I'm not bothered about it.
The deer has been dispatched as it was far too injured to survive. I feel really bad as niether of us saw it and there was no time to swerve or brake to avoid it.
We tried to arrange to get the deer to a vet but it was just too badly injured.

#4 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

TF regular

• Members
  • 1353 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

POPULAR

You can't blame yourselves it's just unfortunate. A rabbit is bad enough but a deer is far worse. I've had a few near misses with deer on country road and 3 or 4 run out together. Problem is that when they spot you they spook and try to run back. The deer is far better off now and isn't in pain but it's nobody's fault just a common accident on the roads. Think how much worse it could've been if your other half swerved and lost the car you both could be dead and the deer still wouldn't have survived. I knew a Doctor that swerved for a squirrel and hit a tree at 60mph killing him but still ran over the squirrel. Count your lucky stars mate and just be thankful that your both ok.
  • 4x416v and Mondy zetecs like this

#5 4x416v

4x416v

Veteran

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 7633 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:49 AM

POPULAR

Glad you are ok, the car can be mended.  I drove into a muntjac many years ago and it died about 2 minutes after it was hit, it does haunt you a bit watching it so badly hurt, I felt bad for a long time afterwards despite it being an unavoidable accident, I recall after the impact my car needed a new front bumper and radiator (1992 Citroen ZX), I didn't hit it at great speed maybe 35mph from memory but they are not tall, they pop out of undergrowth very quickly, in my case I had maybe a second to react but it's the last thing that I was expecting even at 35MPH that's not enough time to avoid.

Sorry to hear this Ray, hope you and the mrs are ok...

p.s. is it still ok to pop round for those Venison burgers that you are preparing tomorrow?  :L  B)  

• furry vandal likes this

Mk3 Mondeo Final Facelift 2.0 Ghia X

​BMW X5 3.0d

​Mitsubishi Shogun 2.8d
My Mk1 4x4 diary:
http://www.talkford....80#entry1497480

Talk to me about Winter / Summer tyres.

#6 Spare Wheel

Spare Wheel

TF regular

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:08 AM

Oddly I just (yesterday, so the same day as you) missed a young fox by inches.  Can't have been more than ten feet away when it ran out in front of me. In effect it was totally invisible until it shot out of the foliage at one side of the road.

It usually seems to be the young animals that take these kind of risks and largely the spring time is when they do it.

I can confirm that even if you don't hit, it takes you back a bit and you look at the road differently.

#7 furry vandal

furry vandal

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo ghia x
  • Name:sam

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:54 AM

Out in the car earlier and a muntjac deer ran out in front of the car. The other half was driving but niether of us saw it coming. It must have been between the two opposing armco barriers on a dual carriageway and ran in front the car wgen we were ten feet away.
Im absolutely gutted right now. We didn't kill it outright and I couldnt bring myself to depatch it. Just gutted now and needed to post to vent my frustration.

Unfortunately these things happen just be thankful you and the other half are ok.

As for the deer we as a human race keep channelling roads through their habitats and this is one of the consequences.  Is the road through a national park can you claim from them for the damage to the vehicle? I know here in the UK it would be easier to sue santa for the damage, I am just trying to see if you can recover the costs to yourselves.  I know vets will charge you sometimes to come out and take or destroy an animal. That's in the UK though.  It wasn't your fault so chin up and move on it is just one of those things which happen an accident.

#8 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 9104 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for all the kind words.
When I'm driving I always keep an eye out for foxes, deer or badgers etc but we just didnt see this one at all, I see dead animals on the local roads daily but never wanted to hit one myself. As per above, I'm aware that its humans encroaching on the animals territory, not the other way around.
Thanks again for the kind words. I'm off to empty the car now as its being taken away to be repaired.

#9 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 23336 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2.2 Ghia

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

Mate used to drive through cannock chase in a lorry, he saw the signs warning of deer

crossing and one day he commented that he had never seen one.

The same week he had a family of deer cross in front of him, luckily no damage

was done.

A year or so back we went to the saturday market at wellesbourne market, then

though pop over to Evesham. Old guy stuck in the middle of the road and

everyone just driving around him. I pulled over and he had just hit a small deer.

Had his grandkids in the car who loved animals and were quite shaken.

Sometimes you just cannot avoid it, good to know your safe.

2006 2.2 TDCi Ghia Estate (6).

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#10 Saint24

Saint24

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

Sorry to hear about this, but good news is both of you are ok. Just the other week had a deer run out infront of us, never seen one before on the road, not really a close shave, but it was bit of a shock, I even swear it looked both ways before crossing the road!

Reminds me a mate of mine, like you hit a deer, on a dual carriageway driving down to the New Forest, he also had no chance to avoid it, unluckily for him it wrote his car off, although it was quite old. The funny thing was when the car was recovered to outside his house, the local cats spent days feasting on the deer scraps covering the front of his car!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users