News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Glow plug / pre-heater plug warning light flashing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 D4zzl3r

D4zzl3r

Silver Fox

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

Mondeo 2002 (March) TDCi 130 (about 61,000 miles).

For about a year now, every so often the car wouldn't start and the glow plug warning light flashes. Turn the ignition off, back on, and hey presto! It starts. It has always started first turn normally.

But the other day the light started flashing whilst i was driving and power was noticeably down. So i think it went into 'limp home mode'? Got home but when i went to start it the next day, it wouldn't. Even trying the usual 'switch-off & back-on' didn't work.

I have read the articles on EGR valves & Camshaft/Crankshaft sensors. Will the fault codes tell me what it is?

1) Is there a way to start it to get it to a garage?
2) How do i get the fault codes out?
3) How do i reset the ECU to clear it?

Can anyone help?

#2 swordtail

swordtail

Big Megger

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

I can answer 2 and 3

There is a dash diagnostic not sure if it will tell you anything but worth a try ignition off push trip reset button in and hold and turn ignition on you should see the gauges do a sweep test then just push the trip button to scroll through.

And the other one is easy just disconnect the battery for 15 mins + make sure you have a radio code though hope this helps you.
Tdci 130 ghia 2004

Decat done,Bottom Pulley and Tensioner Done and Rear Sub frame Bushes Poly'd and off course the Vibration Fix done,Cream Leather interior,Remapped to 142 bhp cat-back Stainless exhaust system.

#3 D4zzl3r

D4zzl3r

Silver Fox

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

Thanks SwordFish.

I think i may be confused over the warning lights. The Glow Plug / Pre-Heating warning light isn't the same as the engine management system light is it? One is like a curly wire and the other is a picture of an engine?

Would a split turbo inlet hose cause it to go in to limp home mode?

#4 randall

randall

Big Megger

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:40 AM

yes a split turbo pipe would cause it to be down on power but would not cause it not to start sounds more like the cam sensor to me :L
53 TD[color:red]CI[/color] 130 Ghia, Panther Black, 6 Speed

#5 pyeman1982

pyeman1982

Megger

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

I had both the starting problem and the limp home mode problem in recent months....

The starting problem was cured by replacing the camshaft position sensor, a £15 part and 5 min very easy DIY job.

With mine the car went into limp home mode and wouldn't start after I got home. Called the RAC and they sprayed some quick start into the air filter and the car started, although rough as a tractor! Had it taken to the garage and they recoded the injectors and its been fine since.

I reckon you've got two problems as the cps shouldn't put it into limp home mode but it may stall and not want to restart straight away
'52 plate Mondeo TD[color:red]Ci[/color] 130 Zetec Estate

#6 D4zzl3r

D4zzl3r

Silver Fox

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Randall & Pyeman1982.

It does seem like the same issue.

I've just remembered another syptom. As well as the very occasional flashing glow plug warning like that was fixed with a switch-off/switch-on, just recently, maybe about a month or so, when starting the car it would tick over slower than normal for about 7 seconds, then it was as if it realised what was going on and then speed up and settle at the normal tick over speed.

#7 randall

randall

Big Megger

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:26 AM

that is normally the injectors leaking over night. mine does it now and again but i know my injectors need replacing.
53 TD[color:red]CI[/color] 130 Ghia, Panther Black, 6 Speed

#8 D4zzl3r

D4zzl3r

Silver Fox

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

Replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor today (£15 from Fords) but it ain't made no difference. GlowPlug warning lights still flashing and after 2-3 mins of cranking she won't fire up.

Do you think the injectors need recoding/remapping? If so, why did they lose their coding/mapping?

Whilst i was in Ford's, they said a TSB have been raised for the connector for the CPS but they wanted £37 plus for a piece of plastic and three small pieces of wire! WTF?

#9 D4zzl3r

D4zzl3r

Silver Fox

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

Just one more thing if anyone can help before i replace the engine...

When i'm cranking the engine there is a sort of muted beeping sound. A dull metallic sort of buzz. It comes and goes with the ignition being turned on and off?

#10 TerryM

TerryM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

Same thing happened to me 3 times this week,glow plug light flashes and loss of power, turn off turn on all ok.
Took it to Fords they put diagnostic check on car,said it was fuel filter so they changed it and advised me to have the fuel tank off to be cleaned cost about £300.Car is ST Tdci 06 Model dome 18000 miles so I have to road test it now and hope all is ok.
Same as others I think its the Sensor but car still under warrenty so they wont change anything if they can get away with it.
Definatly sounds electrical fault to me.
Terry ST Tdci :kaffeetrinker_2: