TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Crack on intercooler pipe, easy fix?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 adsi

adsi

Little Megger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:25 AM

Hi Chaps, I was encouraged by randall's topic to clean the EGR valve on my 02 reg Mondeo TDCI 130. During dismantling the EGR valve, I found a 7cm long crack on the corner of intercooler pipe connected to the EGR. A bit of gunk out of the crack. Now I have a bunch of questions needing your help. :tonofbricks:

1. Is the gunk out of the crack is from the intercooler or exhaust gas?
2. I wonder if the intercooler pipe crack is the reason of the exhaust smoke increase and bad fuel consumption recently?
3. How easy is it to change this pipe? I looked at the Haynes Manual. It looks I need to take the front bumper off to access the other side of the pipe connecting to the intercooler. Any tricky bit to take the front bumper off? I didn't have much mechanical exprience before. This is my first car. :doh:
4. How much is the labour for change this pipe in a normal garage (not Ford dealer)?

Thanks for any answer!!!
02 Reg Mondeo Lx TDCi 130BHP

#2 mjw69

mjw69

Big Megger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:35 AM

Mine went , 4 inch gash, common problems. very easy fix yourself (£20), yes it does cause even more smoke and terrible consumption.

#3 adsi

adsi

Little Megger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:59 PM

Thanks mjw69. Is it easy to take the front bumper off? Is the £20 you mentioned for the price of the pipe itself from Ford? BTW, can I temporarily bind the pipe using some multi-purpose tape before I get a new pipe? :driving:

#4 graemewelch

graemewelch

MEG Captain

• Members
  • 5282 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

no need to remove front bumper. you can do the work from under neath if you have a jack or ramps,

#5 adsi

adsi

Little Megger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

Thanks graemewelch. I will try to fix it by myself. Regarding my first question -- "Is the gunk out of the crack is from the intercooler or exhaust gas?", what is your opinion? Or how can I detect the source of the oily deposit at this pipe crack? Another thing is that I do see oily deposit covered the air cleaner outlet pipe connecting the turbo charger. Is that indicate some problem? or it is normal for a car with 133821 mileage?

Cheers.

#6 TRED

TRED

Big Megger

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hi, same problem with mine. go the pipe today.
There is some oily gunk as well coming out of mine, but if you think about it, if there is an issue wiht EGR getting blocked at times wiht carbony deposits, maybe this is what this stuff is. Id love to know as well if i have a serious problem. Randall mentioned possibly issue with turbo seals, but i think i overstated the oily gunk. Amazing same pipe cracking for so many isnt it. Id say if you took out the pipe,cleaned it down good and then got good quality tape, i bet it would get u by for a year?

#7 adsi

adsi

Little Megger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Tred. I may think too much about this oily gunk. I will try to get this pipe from local motor factor today. See how cheap the price is compared with Ford dealer. Cheers.

#8 TRED

TRED

Big Megger

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

I replaced it there at lunch time. the inside of the pipe did have a black oily fillament on it. actually it was like oil. Anyone here know if thats a symptom of a possible serious problem. Should that pipe be bone dry?.

#9 adsi

adsi

Little Megger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

I went to a local garage this afternoon. They give me a quotation £31 for the pipe from other supplier. But they offered me £10 labour for fitting. I think £10 labour is cheap without get my hands dirty. So I decided to have it done in this garage tomorrow if the parts arrives. On the way back, I popped in the Ford dealer, the quotation is £30.53 which is 50p cheaper than what I get from the local garage. So some parts are not necessarily expensive from the Ford dealer.

Regarding the oily gunk in the pipe, my colleague told me it is normal because the crank case ventilation pipe sends some diesel + air mixture to the air intake pipe to the turbo charger. Looking at the pipe after air filter, it has a small branch pipe to the engine which is the ventilation pipe I think. So the the intake air will have a little amount of diesel inside anyway. That's why the pipe has some oily gunk. I am just a novice, so any comment is welcome! :)

#10 getafix

getafix

Megger

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:59 PM

10 quid to have it fitted is pretty good.

It can be done by removing the bottom engine cover but it's a pain lying on your back.

The area where the pipe splits is very close to the block and gets hot. Trying to seal it with electricians tape will only last a day before the sticky melts and the tape slide down the tube. Wrapping it with duct tape will last a couple of weeks tops.

While your on with the hood up - clean the EGR valve with carb cleaner (you'll chugg a bit on start up and belch a bit of smoke but it should clear after 15 - 20 seconds). Also, get some electrical cleaner from Maplins and clean the air flow meter wires CAREFULLY - two screws just after your air filter. They should be thin and shiny NOT furry and black.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it !