News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

CV joint gaiter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 mlebon

mlebon

Little Megger

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:03 AM

Can anyone tell me how much of a job it is to replace a cv joint gaiter? My Mondeo estate has just failed its MOT with this one problem (on driver's side). Is it a do-able job to do at home? If not, then how much of a job is it at a garage?
Thanks!

#2 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Super Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 18,682 posts
  • 333 thanks

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

depends on how good you are with a spanner really as there are 2 methods of doing it.

one is a case of removing the old gaiter & then fitting a 2 half glued together gaiter in its place ( i was advised against these as they go again very quickly normally )

the other one means removing the driveshaft & dismantling the inner CV boot & joint & then adding a complete boot for the outer gaiter along the driveshaft & then rebuilding it all again ( i went with this route when my mota needed cv boots as the car was in the garage anyway for other work doing too )

Too many mods to list in here but they can be seen here

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

Ford Etis Vehicle Information - Click Here

#3 Welsh Dan

Welsh Dan

SMEGHEADS!

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

I had 2 outer CV gaiters done at a local garage on my nova for £60 because I was too lazy to do it myself at the time. They can be a pain depending on the CV and boot design, some stay on really easily and only need a cable tie to hold them in place, some need the proper tool to do up the metal straps really tight.

In essence: jack it up and secure it, take the wheel off, undo the castle nut on the end of the driveshaft, release the steering knuckle from the suspension (i've not looked at this bit of the mondeo yet, but i always undid the bottom ball join on the nova), pull the driveshaft and CV out of the hub, pull the boot up the driveshaft and using circlip pliers release the circlip that holds the shaft in the cv.

Pull the boot off, push the new one on, add more grease if needed. The cv should just push back onto the shaft and the circlip will close automatically, tug on the cv once its on to make sure, pop the boot over the CV then secure it with a strap or cable tie then refit the rest in reverse.

I browse with signatures turned off :)

#4 Welsh Dan

Welsh Dan

SMEGHEADS!

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

compuwiz, are mk3 outer CV's fixed to the driveshafts then so they can't be removed?
I browse with signatures turned off :)

#5 Aberdeenshirenewbie

Aberdeenshirenewbie

Big Megger

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

compuwiz, are mk3 outer CV's fixed to the driveshafts then so they can't be removed?

No

#6 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Super Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 18,682 posts
  • 333 thanks

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

they are fixed to the driveshaft/cv joint via metal straps on my mota, but the outer CV joint is a pressed unit & cant be dismantled like the inner one which is the reason why its gotta be done the long way round.

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

#7 mlebon

mlebon

Little Megger

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the info you guys - it's off to the garage I go!!

#8 graemewelch

graemewelch

MEG Captain

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

they are fixed to the driveshaft/cv joint via metal straps on my mota, but the outer CV joint is a pressed unit & cant be dismantled like the inner one which is the reason why its gotta be done the long way round.

you got it the wrongway around, the inner cant be removed but the out can be, it knocks off with a soft mallet, i done mine while it was on the car, on trouble i had was keeping the boot on

#9 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Super Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 18,682 posts
  • 333 thanks

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

my inner ones have been taken apart 2 times on the passenger side & once on the drivers side so far.

i think the haynes says the same too about inner is OK but outer has limited movement & such due to its design.

but nice to know the outer one can be done easily though as it may help others :L

#10 Adi69

Adi69

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

I recently changed the outer cv boot on the nearside. It was a standard procedure of 32mm socket to remove outer CV nut then remove bottom balljoint bolt and lever lower arm down to release pin. Once that is out you have to gently knock out the cv joint from the hub. I put the nut back on so the outer part was level with the end of the thread and then knocked it with a hammer till it came out of the back of the hub.

Then its a case of removing the metal straps holding the cv boot and knocking the cv joint off the shaft. Place the new boot on the shaft and refit joint and clips to boot.

The most annoying part of this procedure can be the CV joint clip that stops the CV joint dropping off. The joint came off easily. But putting it back on the clip bent. Luckily I jad a new one, but instead of the clip being too large and not allowing the joint back over it, this one was too small/tight and allowed the joint over it, but also back off, so no holding the joint on the shaft. After 30mins of opening the clip, I managed to get the joint to stay on.