News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Opinions on the Ford Dab Radio compared to FM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 aabrass53

aabrass53

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Hi,

New to the forum and looking at a Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCI Ghia second hand from Motorpoint. Could go for an 08 plate but does not have the DAB radio whereas if I hold out for the 58 plates to come through then DAB radio as standard. Wondered if the unit justifies my wait/extra expense? Have used a Pure Highway before in my car and whilst it gets rave reviews and was easy to set up I was not impressed with the stereo separation compared to FM. More stations yes.... More engaging musical experience no..Have gone back to FM. If DAB sets not particularly good then can save myself some dosh and just have the FM version. Do the DAB radios have an FM option also?

Thankyou for reading my very first post and thanks in advance for your responses

Regards

aabrass53

#2 Lord Buckingham

Lord Buckingham

Big Megger

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

I have the DAB option in mine, and on the whole its pretty good. Coverage wise there are a few gaps, I have used it mainly in the South / Midlands and I have to admit it says on DAB most of the time.

I guess it may depend on what your taste in music is :rocker:

Cheers

Richard
Titanium X sport hatchback 2.2TDCi, in Moondust Silver, Techpack II, Solar Relect Windscreen (Replaced with a normal one), Passenger 8 Way Adjustable Seat, Privacy Glass, Heated Rear Seats, USB Connectivity

#3 silo24

silo24

Big Megger

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

The DAB unit has an inbuilt FM tuner too, so no problems there.

The system is actually fairly good, as it has a good 'Service Link' system which will automatically drop you back onto the FM version of a channel if the DAB signal drops.

You'll notice the different dynamic ranges however. The FM broadcasts generally feel more rich in terms of emphasis on the lower frequencies, however I find there is a clear difference in quality and DAB is a more balanced sound across the spectrum, despite the low-ish bit rates in the UK.

Also, Five Live & Sports Extra are reason enough for me, as the AM versions of these are shocking.
Mondeo 5DR Hatch 2.0TDCi Titanium X w. Bi-Xenons, Sports Pack, DAB, Keyless Entry and not forgetting.......Sunblinds!

Oh, also Tuned by CELTIC TUNING!

#4 Pooh_Bore

Pooh_Bore

Little Megger

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

I haven't used FM yet. Quite happy even in south wales with the recepion on DAB. Planet rock and Gold keep me happy.

#5 Gary_Boldie

Gary_Boldie

Megger

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

I had a JVC aftermarket stereo with DAB in my last car, with an external aerial, and I always thought the sound quality was fine for use in a running car. Having said that, and dispite the marketing hype, DAB isn't about sound quality. The bit-rates are low and, with the car parked, it did show if you listened for it. Some of the channels aren't even stereo.
For me, the extra channels easily outweighed the quality issues but, if you're a hi-fi buff, you may think differently.

Cheers,

Gary.
2007 2.5T Titanium X Hatchback.
Embyonic kit-car with Ex-Mondeo 2.0 Zetec.