News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Broken timing belt 2.0 Ghia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 paulh_boats

paulh_boats

Little Megger

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

Timing belt broke on motorway, no nasty noises when trying to start so I don't think any valves broke.

Engine is the later 16V 2.0 Zetec (July 1998 stamped on upper timing belt cover) without hydraulic tappets and the middle belt cover is aluminium (plastic up to 4/1998)

Car has done 270K mostly on motorway - I've got 286K out of a Sierra so I think there is plenty of mileage left!

I have experience of replacing cylinder heads: decoking Viva cylinder head, replacing Mini exhaust valve and blown Sierra head gaskets.

Clearly it will cost a fortune to get it fixed so I'm doing it myself. I'm almost at the point to fit a new belt (timing covers off, crankshaft and waterpump pulley off etc.)

Independent parts dealer said fit belt temporarily and see how engine runs, but I will check compression first. Zero compression means the head will come off of course.

But I only ordered a belt from Halfords and have just realised there is a kit of belt and tensioner. Do the later Zetecs have tensioner problems?

Also what is the probable valve damage? Can the valves touch the piston? Without X-ray vision I'd say the valve damage is ether none or bent valves - as I said at the start it sounds 'normal' when turning over with starter so I don't think broken bits of valve are rattling around.

cheers
Paul

#2 jammy

jammy

My real name is Amy

• Members
  • 5,908 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

If you have been turnin it over then you have bent valves...infact thay bend anyway on a zetec..best bet is a low milage used head new belt and gasket and ya on your way again :L
modified peugeot 306 1.8 16 valver :)

#3 paulh_boats

paulh_boats

Little Megger

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

jammy,

Thanks - so are you saying that I will 100% have to remove the head?

Haven't a clue where I can get a low mileage head.

I'd prefer to replace valves carefully so I know exactly what I have.

-Paul

#4 percybigun

percybigun

Window licking mong

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 39,488 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

you must always change the tensioner aswell as the cambelt on any 4-cylinder mondeo. the tensioner is as prone to failure as the belt.

for another head look round the scrappies, ebay, or ring www.mondeopart.co.uk
Mk1 2.0 Ghia - Supercharged NOS etc
.________________________.
|............................................|
|.......Mk1 2.0 Zetec Turbo...... ||'|";,___.
|_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"' ''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

#5 Bin_Man

Bin_Man

Resident buffoon

• Forum Moderator
  • 4,192 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Almost certina to have bent some or all of the valves I'm afraid. It is an interference engine and the valves enter at an angle, bakng them easier to bend. Its also likely to have left an impression in the piston crowns.

On an engine with that many miles on, I'd be tempted to transplant an entire head from a decent looking car in a scrappy. Most will have accident damaged but running cars coming in frequently. I don't know that I'd go to the expense of getting a fully recon head, new valves etc on an engine thats clearly well run it at best!

If the rest of the car is good and you want to keep it, the practical alternative is replace the entire engine, sticking a new clutch in while your at it. That should give you a good few years of motoring for relatively little money.
Bin_Man contains strong language and scenes of a sexual nature

The nice thing about Marmite, the really GREAT thing about it, is that if it gets stuck in customs for four years, goes well past it's use-by date, becomes rancid and the bacteria develop to a point where a system of local government is in place, they have free housing for bacteria with families, all the little bacteria go to school and the more inquisitive bacteria have invented both the digital watch and Corby trouser press - it will STILL taste absolutely FOUL !!!!

#6 paulh_boats

paulh_boats

Little Megger

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

binman,

Thanks - I do a high mileage of at least 25K so it makes sense to either keep her going cheaply or switch to a more fuel efficient car, like a diesel Focus.

I'll take the head off and examine the damage.

Is it likely the cam shafts are bent? If they are I think its game over for the cylinder head.

And if Ford had designed it sensibly with good old chain timing belts ......

cheers
Paul :annoyed:

#7 percybigun

percybigun

Window licking mong

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 39,488 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

doubtful you have damaged the cams, they are very heavy and tough. even if you have, they are very cheap to buy.

i think you might get away with just a new set of valves, and a head skim.

most cars of that era had belts, it was the norm. they are fine as long as you get them changed at the right intervals.
Mk1 2.0 Ghia - Supercharged NOS etc
.________________________.
|............................................|
|.......Mk1 2.0 Zetec Turbo...... ||'|";,___.
|_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"' ''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

#8 Rich

Rich

BOFHmin

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 12,208 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

You'll sometimes get away with the timing belt breaking when the car is at a standstill. But with the bottom end being rotated through the momentum of the vehicle without the cams moving... it'll be hugely unlikely IMO. To the point where I'd personally not even bother trying a fresh belt... just pull the head off. If the pistons are okay(and they likely will be), just drop on a second-hand head and new timing belt kit.

--Rich

Red '99 Daytona 955i | Black '00 V6 Ghia X

#9 davy

davy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

i had timing belt replaced on my 1999zetec 2.0 it is best to change tensioners as well

#10 Bin_Man

Bin_Man

Resident buffoon

• Forum Moderator
  • 4,192 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

No its not "best" - Its absolutely fecking ESSENTIAL. You need the full kit - belt, roller/ider pullies and the tensioner. Anything less is a waste of time and money. It really is that simple :L
Bin_Man contains strong language and scenes of a sexual nature

The nice thing about Marmite, the really GREAT thing about it, is that if it gets stuck in customs for four years, goes well past it's use-by date, becomes rancid and the bacteria develop to a point where a system of local government is in place, they have free housing for bacteria with families, all the little bacteria go to school and the more inquisitive bacteria have invented both the digital watch and Corby trouser press - it will STILL taste absolutely FOUL !!!!