News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Strut pinch bolt in hub.. nightmare??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 DeadLOK

DeadLOK

Big Megger

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

As mentioned in other threads ive been fitting new suspension, one side has gone on fine no issues.

The other side the pinch bolts for the strut bottom snapped off, I took them slowly with loads of wd40 but they both snapped off when half way out grr..

Firstly is there a method of taking these out without breaking them? not that it matters now I doubt theyve ever been removed before as well.

Secondly is there anything that can be done other than replacing the hubs on that side? Obviously the thread is stuck inside them grr.

And lastly wheres the best place to source hubs if I definetly need them? are they the same for mk1 and 2? is anyone breaking a car or have them for sale? cheers.
Black Mk1 Mondeo Si 2.0
Sportex Cat Back, Kuhmo KU31's, SPAX -35mm Lowering, EBC Greenstuff pads, MSD Coilpack

#2 CerberusStyle

CerberusStyle

Vehicle Electrician

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

reverse bolt removal tool. basily it cuts through the middle of the broken bolt in opersite direction to how it is threaded so when its in it then turns the bolt in correct direction to allow u to remove it with out damaging the hole the bolt is in. :)
Ford Mondeo ST24 v6 Duratec MK2 ( 164bhp est. ) Garage
SO FAR ----
Dual Exhaust | Black Projector Rear Lights | Black Smoked Repeaters | DeBadged | DeBump Stripped | Metal Water Pump |
Hardwired SatNav | Push Engine Start | Rearview Camera
TO COME ----
Black Projector Front Ligts | Tinted | Lowered | Blue Interior Lighting | Better Alloys | Paint Refurb | Rust Removal | Induction Kit |

#3 silverst

silverst

Big Megger

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hi ,what I did when mine snapped was take both hubs off completely so I could get them in a vice in the right position then starting with a pilot drill of about 3mm drilled right through the snapped off thread then moved up progressively in drill sizes until it was basically just the thread left.

then i used a junior hacksaw blade passed through it and reatached to the saw and carefully sawed through the remaining thread till it was loose enough to fall out.

sounds more complicated than it is! plenty of patience and sharp drillbits needed!

good luck
2000 ST200 rebuilt and running fine woo hoo!!

#4 CerberusStyle

CerberusStyle

Vehicle Electrician

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hi ,what I did when mine snapped was take both hubs off completely so I could get them in a vice in the right position then starting with a pilot drill of about 3mm drilled right through the snapped off thread then moved up progressively in drill sizes until it was basically just the thread left.

then i used a junior hacksaw blade passed through it and reatached to the saw and carefully sawed through the remaining thread till it was loose enough to fall out.

sounds more complicated than it is! plenty of patience and sharp drillbits needed!

good luck

i would never ever ever do this as u are more likely to distroy ur caliper than help your issue.

if a job is worth doin yourself. do it with the right parts and tools
Ford Mondeo ST24 v6 Duratec MK2 ( 164bhp est. ) Garage
SO FAR ----
Dual Exhaust | Black Projector Rear Lights | Black Smoked Repeaters | DeBadged | DeBump Stripped | Metal Water Pump |
Hardwired SatNav | Push Engine Start | Rearview Camera
TO COME ----
Black Projector Front Ligts | Tinted | Lowered | Blue Interior Lighting | Better Alloys | Paint Refurb | Rust Removal | Induction Kit |

#5 silverst

silverst

Big Megger

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

how am I going to destroy a caliper that is left on the car when I am drilling a hub carrier in my garage??
2000 ST200 rebuilt and running fine woo hoo!!

#6 Fred22

Fred22

Turbo'd ST24

• Members
  • 10,084 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

ok heres another classic example of people rushing these bolts and making them heat up and snap on them, as ive said many many times the procedure for taking off the pinch bolt is:

1. spray with wd40,
2. undo the bolt a bit,
3. spray it again,
4. tighten the bolt again,
5. spray it again
6. undo the bolt again a bit more,
7. spray it with wd40/plus gas
8. tighten it up again,
9. spray it again
10. have a tea break (5mins)
11. undo bolt a bit more
12. spray it again.
13. tighten it up,
14. spray it,
15. loosen bolt a bit more

and on and on, what your trying to do is do it slowly and in stages so that the threads in the hub gets well lubricated and it will help with the removal of the bolt, dont let the bolt heat up as if it does its going to get weak and snap on you, undo it in the stages above, and each time you undo it a bit, spray inside the threads so that when you tighten it up, the wd40 goes inside the threads and wets it, then when you undo it more, u will show more thread which hasnt got the oil and then spray that again, the bolt will come off,

but as you have found out, by rushing the job and not taking your time or doing it right now your going to struggle and waste more time doing this,

u dont say which one snapped front or rear, if front, take off the strut and make sure everything is off the hub and then pull the whole unit out of the car and then attack the broken bolt as said above, or if you find another unit on ebay replace with that,

u say that it broke in the middle of you taking it off, that to me shows that you were forcing the bolt and it got heated up, became fragile and snapped in the weakest spot where its heated up, this is because the bolt gets welded in the hub after being in there for soo long, anyways hope u sort it out good luck with it :)
98 Ford Mondeo/Contour v6 :)

my st24 turbo progress

my garage

Dont fcuk with this St24
Shudda bRought a Scooby

#7 DeadLOK

DeadLOK

Big Megger

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

That doesn't sound a bad idea, however I lack a fixed vice, drill or decent set of bits so replacement hubs it is I guess.

I take it this is a common thing then?
Black Mk1 Mondeo Si 2.0
Sportex Cat Back, Kuhmo KU31's, SPAX -35mm Lowering, EBC Greenstuff pads, MSD Coilpack

#8 Fred22

Fred22

Turbo'd ST24

• Members
  • 10,084 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

how am I going to destroy a caliper that is left on the car when I am drilling a hub carrier in my garage??

exactly, the caliper stays on the car, the strut and hub goes to your bench, and then you tackle the broken stud, u wont cause any harm to the caliper, as long as the rubber hose is not being strained so tie up the caliper to the body of the car or rest it on a jack stand ;)

my st24 turbo progress

my garage

Dont fcuk with this St24
Shudda bRought a Scooby

#9 DeadLOK

DeadLOK

Big Megger

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Does anyone know if mk1/2 hubs are the same?
Black Mk1 Mondeo Si 2.0

#10 Fred22

Fred22

Turbo'd ST24

• Members
  • 10,084 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

hi buddy they should be the same :L

my st24 turbo progress

my garage

Dont fcuk with this St24