Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Wet In Drivers Side Front Footwell

17K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  davegrant 
#1 ·
Last week I took my March 08 titx mondeo to the bodyshop for a small repair on the passenger front door. When I got the car back i noticed a kinda wet smell in the car. Over the course of a few days it seemed to go away.

Ive cleaned my car once since then and not noticed anything out the ordinary. Yesterday I found that the front foot well, drivers side was a bit wet under the mat. It seemed pretty wet but there was no puddle or anything. Anyway last night i put a load of newspaper under the mat to see if it would soak up. Today there doesnt seem to be much water on the paper but the area just below the peedles but above the plastic section of flooring is defo still wet.

Over this week, I am going to try and use a hair dryer to actually get it dry and then monitor it. When the car was in the bodyshop there was a day when it rained constantly for the whole day. Maybe it got some water in it from either people jumping in and out. Anyone else have any ideas?

The last week or so have been very dry and there doesnt appear to be any leaks coming from the underside.

#3 ·
I have had this problem - the details were posted on another thread to do with water ingress fromthe tailgate area - if you search for my posts you will find the details.

In my case the water was entering the A Post from the crimped seam on which the rubber door seal fits. Open the drivers door and look at the rubber seal, you will notice a joint in the rubber half way up the A post. Pull off the seal look at the flange on which the seal sits. You will probably see a gap between the crimped metal parts. This needs a finger full of silicone sealant.
Water runs onto the seal at the top of the door and some finds its way into the V shape of the door rubber seal where it pushes onto the flange- especially if it is not pushed hard onto the flange on the windscreen pillar.

The water runs down the inside of the V till it meets the joint in the seal. It is stopped here and its only route out is then to pass into the A post through the gap between the metal panels forming the flange. A dob of sealant makes a simple and permanent cure.

If you pull off the plastic trim cover - a sharp tug pulls it off- and then put your finger behind the carpet and sound proofing on the A Post you will find a stamped hole about 35mm diameter. Put your finger in the hole- you will probably find about 50mm depth of water sitting in the A Post where it sits on the door sill, it builds up here and seeps out into the foot well. Soak it all up with kitchen roll or similar. Job done.

#4 ·
Ok. Ive had a look at the car today. Its extremely wet from the centre working towards the driver side door. I dont think its to do with the door seal. When I took out all of the carpets etc. There is like a drain pipe which runs down the driver side footwell up against the center console area. (but obviously below in the footwell).

This doesnt appear to have been leaking and I fiddled with it.
Ive got a hair dryer on the car at the mo, trying to get some of the water out. That way I can keep an eye on it.

I did have it booked in at Ford but they told me it would cost £55 just for someone to look at it. They say that its interior and coz the car is over a year old isnt covered in the warrenty. Anyone have any ideas on this or the warrenty issue?

#6 ·
Ok had the car in today at dealer.

They have charged me £55 coz water ingress is only covered in 1st year.

Anyway...its 100% not the air con...all checked and all fine. They have carried out a modification to the seals around the front doors. I dont know what they have done yet, but it involves drilling below the seals to allow any water build up to escape.

They have stated that Ford were aware of this problem and that this was identified in a TSB. I will try and find out the number and confirm tomorrow if I can!!

Hopefully this will sort the problem ive had!

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Right, I have found where the leak is coming from. I have attached a picture to show where its leaking into the well. I actually saw a droplet of water coming off the bottom of the plastic. The water was clear and not cold or anything.

Its been raining last night...but hasnt rained all morning. It appears to be a steady leak.

I spoke to Ford and they said bring it back in..trouble is its gonna cost me at least £350 coz they will have to start taking apart the dash now.

Any ideas out there?

Oh btw, I put a bit of kitchen roll (blue) paper behind the carpet to try and take some of the water that is leaking rather than it leaking over my carpets below and under them.

Attachments

#13 ·
The drain pipe is actually to the left in that pict. Can you see where there is a cut out in the carpet? Thats where the drain hole is.

The water is leaking onto a braket which I am pointing to. Ive shown Ford today and its booked in again Tuesday. They want it for two days. At least they know where the water is leaking into the footwell now. Just need to find where it comes from now. That pict was taken this morning. The car hadnt been moved since 6pm the night b4. So, if it is the air con...it must be holding the water somewhere and then slowly leaking off the plastic clip...

#15 ·
OK...car has been at the Ford garage today. They have found that the heater assembly needed re-bonding as the condensation was leaking out of it.

I asked if this was under warrenty and they said no it wont be.

Anyone have anything that i could put to them?

#19 ·
OK, got car back this morning. They didnt charge me anything this time. Although they have said that they cant charge Ford.

The problem is with the heater unit. That plastic bracket you can see above my arrow in picture is the side of the heater condensor unit. Any water that is produced from the heater unit should run down a groove that is the other side of that bracket and out of the car. The water produced in my unit was collecting on the inside of the bracket and dripping out of the bottom.

They have added some type of sealer to the inside of the bracket so that if the water does still collect there it will simply go back into the groove and out of the car, rather than finding its way out of the bottom of the brakcet. They said there is no water above that point so its defo the reason behind whats happened. I will keep paper there for a few days to ensure that its still not dripping but they ensure me that its bone dry now!!

#21 ·
Ok...well...What i didnt mention was....for about 2 months ish I parked my car on a kerb all day while at work. The curb was quite high.

Anyway, it was parked so that the car leaned towards to the drivers side. Hence why i think this has happened! Btw, since they have done the mod, everything is fine. No water, everything dry! What is the TSB and what does the TSB say as a matter of interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.