News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Hello, Why won't my mondeo start

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave78

Dave78

Little Megger

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hello all,

Thought I'd join up and say hello, as I've just got my first mondeo. Unfortunately I need to ask for your help already.

I've only had my mondeo for a week and in that time it's been great. It's a 2 litre Ghia X Estate Manual 1999. The guy I brought it from at work hasn't had any real trouble with it over the last 18 months or so he owned it.

But this evening, it just wouldn't start. The engine turns over quiet happily, but it never catches.

I drove it in and out of work this morning and it started straight away. This evening went to go out and it the engine turns but never gets going.

I took the wifes car, so I haven't checked anything, is it possible that the engine will not start because the spanner is on?

The only thing that has been slightly odd is that the temp gauage never really seems to move about the cold area on the left, even though you can feel the engine is warm.. Not sure if that has anything to do with why it will not start. Also the like spanner icon is lit - I understand that if I push the reset button next to it with the ignition on for 4 seconds this will go out, is this correct?

Any other ideas, I'm fairly happy checking/changing simple things on cars, but am not an expert by any stretch.

Thanks

Dave

#2 Rich

Rich

BOFHmin

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 12,208 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

Spanner is just the service indicator. Won't stop the engine from running.

I'd start by checking the obvious - are you sure it's got petrol in? If so, can you hear the fuel pump prime under the back seat when the ignition is turned to position 2?

If so, hold your foot on the accelerator, down to the floor. Crank the engine for ~10s and see if it starts to splutter - the ECU will recognise this as the starting procedure for a flooded engine, which often happens if a car is only moved a short distance after the engine starts(possibly you stalled it when parking earlier? If not, then there's a good chance it'll be flooded now anyway)...

If the pump is priming and the foot to the floor doesn't make any difference, the next step would be to remove the spark plugs and check they're delivering a healthy spark... :)

--Rich

Red '99 Daytona 955i | Black '00 V6 Ghia X

#3 CymruDragon

CymruDragon

Big Megger

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

I reckon mate it's the crank position sensor, I've had this with both my MK2's 1.8 and V6.
1997 Mondeo MK2 2.5 V6 Ghia X Estate RSAP

Full RSAP Body Kit and RS Wheels. Mk3 Decals, ST200 UIM/LIM, ST200 TB, ST200 AirBox, De-Cat, Remap. Red Painted Calipers.

Mintex Drilled & Groved Discs all round with Mintex Pads. Black Headlamps With Angel Eyes

#4 Dave78

Dave78

Little Megger

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

Cheers All..

Ended up unpluging and reconnecting the fuel pump and now all works again.. :driving:

Happy it's working, bit worried that is could it do this again if all I did was unplug and reconnect..

Thanks once again

Dave

#5 Rich

Rich

BOFHmin

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 12,208 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

Make sure the connections are clean, they've been exposed to a few years of air whilst passing voltage/current, so may well have oxidised somewhat... :)

--Rich

Red '99 Daytona 955i | Black '00 V6 Ghia X

#6 Dave78

Dave78

Little Megger

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

Well all was working ok till last night, and once again failled to start.. But a little wiggle (on the fuel pump connector) and life is good again..

I'll have a better look at the weekend, but guessing it'll be easier if the rear seat base is removed, any pointers for doing this?

Thanks again..

#7 mondy 1797

mondy 1797

Little Megger

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

mine did this turned out the pump was working intermitently . pump and gauge from breaker £35 fitted my self gauge worked backwards (tank empty guage says full )breaker not got replacement so had him take pump off new and put on old unit. now works brill . prior to pump failing the engine semi died on regular basis eg not actually stopping but revs dropping to about 500 rpm hope this helps