37 replies to this topic

#1 nikmccourt

nikmccourt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hi

My abs and traction control lights came on Monday(11th Jan 2010) and have remained on ever since. I have a 2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI Mk 4 (6sp gear box, with sports pack upgrade).

Does anybody have an idea why this has happened to both systems?

I have a hunch it is something to do with the extended period of sub-zero temperatures we have been having as the problem only appeared following the thaw in Belfast which happened on Sunday (10th Jan 2010), but might just be a coincidence.

Also something sticks in my head that these two systems use the same wheel speed sensor therefore a faulty sensor could the cause both systems to fail simultaneously?!?!

Your 'expert' thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Nik

#2 Waltfen

Waltfen

Big Megger

• Members
  • 460 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK3 2.5 GHIA X

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:57 PM

Both lights used to come on in my car but I just has a loose connection.
You are correct about the 2 systems using the same sensor.
I reckon you've probably got a faulty sensor.
MK3 V6 GHIA X

#3 huw1000

huw1000

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

To get to the bottom of it you'd have to get a code reader plugged in to see what errors are being generated.

The most common thing it could be as you suspect is the wheel sensors. You could try to see if the wiring in that area is loose or unplug them, plug back in or even give it all a clean up.

The wheel sensors take the full brunt of the weather including all the grit, salt, ice, mud etc. and do get damaged from it all as a result.
2004 Mk3 Zetec 2.0 TDCI Hatchback in Magnum Grey
Final Facelift Rear Lights, Final Facelift Rear Skirt, Reverse Parking Sensors, 18" Zetec S Alloys, Mud Flaps, Aerotwin Wipers, Titanium Sony MP3 Headunit.

#4 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mondeo Mk3 Moderator

• Members
  • 16,242 posts
  • 760 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Estate, TDCI 130 (6)

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:36 AM

You posted in the MK3 section not the MK4.

Better results in the right section.

2004 TDCi 130 LX Estate. (6)

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ......... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE ........... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

#5 4titx

4titx

Over Enthusiastic

• Gold Member
  • 5,374 posts
  • 206 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 4 Titx
  • Name:Phil

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi

My abs and traction control lights came on Monday(11th Jan 2010) and have remained on ever since. I have a 2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI Mk 4 (6sp gear box, with sports pack upgrade).

I have a hunch it is something to do with the extended period of sub-zero temperatures we have been having as the problem only appeared following the thaw in Belfast which happened on Sunday (10th Jan 2010), but might just be a coincidence.

Also something sticks in my head that these two systems use the same wheel speed sensor therefore a faulty sensor could the cause both systems to fail simultaneously?!?!

Cheers

Nik

Likely its the sensors on one or more wheels want the connectrs pulling apart and reconnecting. They have probably got a bit of corrosion on them from salt spray. Not uncommon and I dot know why Ford make them so fulnerable. My mondeo has been fine but both my wifes and daughters Fiestas with traction came up with the same problem this past 2 weeks, and I did a quick pull appart and reconect with a little silicon spray added on the front sensors
LEDs, whats your Watts.
2.0 TDCi TitX in Hypnotic Silver

Dont thank me, thank him. I'm just the messenger.

#6 cazmar333

cazmar333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

hi, i have the same problem, please can you let me know what it is when you find out.
cheers

#7 4titx

4titx

Over Enthusiastic

• Gold Member
  • 5,374 posts
  • 206 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 4 Titx
  • Name:Phil

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

hi, i have the same problem, please can you let me know what it is when you find out.
cheers

Must read my posts again, too many spooling mistooks..

99% sure this will be your front sensors, you may find given time the fault will clear.. but they really need the connectors to the sensors pulling appart and rconnecting. This simple actions will wipe/scrape the contacts of the connector and they should be ok. If you can get some silicone spray or even WD40 at pinch, spray the contacts, this should help prevent water getting to the contacts. Conectors are located at each wheel of course.

Of course there could be a faulty sensor, but salt water spray and connectors dont like each other.

LEDs, whats your Watts.
2.0 TDCi TitX in Hypnotic Silver

Dont thank me, thank him. I'm just the messenger.

#8 cazmar333

cazmar333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

thanks i will give it a try

#9 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  • 78 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2014 A3 Saloon

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hi

Cheers

Nik

Hi, my car did the same when I was trying to pull away up a hill in snow that first weds we had some. When I drove it around the following friday it reset itself and hasn't occured since...
Chris

2013 Fiesta Titanium X       2014 A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSI S-Line
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost          Daytona Grey
Candy Blue.

#10 Realale

Realale

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Anyone had any luck on this as I have the same problem? Of course my 57 plate ran out of Warranty in December so I am now up the creek so to speak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users