News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Rod Shift MTX75's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

Big Megger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

These were the first,most in the Mondeo had a cable clutch due to the launch time in Europe Vs USA ,we have always had hydraulic clutches.

Things I consider plus points:-

Well this was the first so staright off I have to say that overall quality is far better than later series of the MTX75.

*Rod shift etc..Good system if you keep the linkage etc well lubed,the plastic U/J's in the shift shaft need attenion now and the.Most parts for the linkage are now obsolete but we have tooling etc and renovate the whole assy over here.
*Diff..Dif gears are conventional machined gears and stronger than in most later cable shift units.

Shift Forks..1st/2nd gear forks did have roller Vs plain bush bearings, a plus point.3rd/4th Fork ,on later units,was modder to give better oil supply to syncro hubs.

Shift Turret/Tower (the part bolted to the top of the trans). On the rod shift failure are few but it can happen due to 'bolts' and roll pins that break.

Input Shaft..3rd gear baulk rings/blocker..These are a 'twin baulk ring' design as used on 1st & 2nd gears.Twin is better and this was changed to a single on later models.

Output Shaft..I call it a '2 Piece design' as it has the 3rd & 4th fiex gears machined onto the main shaft assy,this changed later. The drive pinion for the crownwheel is splined onto the output shaft,this also changed in later models.

Those are the basics,as we work throuh each type you will be able to compare. FWIW we have don a few conversions on the Contour to go from cable shaft back to rod shift...

Please throw in any comments or questions on the Rod Shift Kogbox...
98 Ford Contour V6/ '03 Jaguar X Type 2.5 Manual AWD, '02 Ford F-150 Pick up, long bed, 4.6 V8, 4 x 4,LSD, 6000+ Lb towing pack...'the Great White'

Lots of info on MTX75 and other V6 engine info that will help on my forum at..

www.fordcontour.org

#2 Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler

Little Megger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:39 AM

Hi Terry,

I went to university in the USA -- Purdue U is mainly an engineering & agriculture uni; churns out astronauts &.. er.. farmers. ;)
Lafayette has(/had?) a Subaru/Isuzu automotive plant; and being in Indiana, cornfields were never far away..

I did business, so.. don't yet(!) know enough about being under a bonnet!

How can I check/find out what (kind of) box my Mk2 has in it? i.e. cable- vs rod- shift?
It's an X-reg, Jan'01; 1.8 LX Verona (or so the sail panels say). If it helps, my V5C says the engine's "YC25601".

Also, when shifting, there seems to be some.. hesitation(?) when going from 1st to 2nd..? it jerks the car a bit, releasing the clutch into 2.
Does this signal anything potentially horrible??

Thanks v. much for your thoughts/ideas/feedback!!

Regards,

Chris..
1.8 LX Mk2 5dr hatch, black, stock (no spoiler!?)
(*highly inspired by Marney's mods!!*)

Wish List:
+Jag fobs
+black & angel headlights +brows (not a morettes fan)
+mesh front grille +smoked sides & Lexus rears

[color:red]+
set of Autecs I fancy..
+get some mechanical experience(?)
..as I'm not a gear-head but am a fast learner!

I kinda like the exterior look of the Arden AJ21 Jag XF!

#3 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

Big Megger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

Yours is a cable shift MTX. As to the 1st/2nd shift...first off , do you have this in any other gears or just the 1/2 shift?
98 Ford Contour V6/ '03 Jaguar X Type 2.5 Manual AWD, '02 Ford F-150 Pick up, long bed, 4.6 V8, 4 x 4,LSD, 6000+ Lb towing pack...'the Great White'

Lots of info on MTX75 and other V6 engine info that will help on my forum at..

www.fordcontour.org

#4 Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler

Little Megger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

So mine's cable, thank you. After 9yrs, how likely is it to need replacing? :)

The issue's only really noticeable in the 1-2.
In fact, last night, I must've "just missed" the shift, and (maybe coming short of 2nd) it "stuttered" the stick in a way I didn't recognise. I took the clutch off again, double-shifted 1st-2nd again, and it was clean. (I've been driving my g/f's Peugeot 307 diesel these last couple years; when she drives it, she sometimes grinds the gears, but it sounds totally different!) :eek13:

When I shift, I've made a habit to go a bit slower with clutching back in, to give it a better chance(?) to re-engage into (2nd) gear.. it seems to help, as there's less shudder. When it happens, it doesn't sound like gear-grinding or worse.. in fact, nothing generally sounds suspiciously "wrong".. just the weird juddering the car seems to do when I'm up into 2nd from 1st. :eyesup:

Thanks for reading, and for your feedback -- greatly appreciated!!

Best,

Chris..
1.8 LX Mk2 5dr hatch, black, stock (no spoiler!?)
(*highly inspired by Marney's mods!!*)

Wish List:
+Jag fobs
+black & angel headlights +brows (not a morettes fan)
+mesh front grille +smoked sides & Lexus rears

[color:red]+
set of Autecs I fancy..
+get some mechanical experience(?)
..as I'm not a gear-head but am a fast learner!

I kinda like the exterior look of the Arden AJ21 Jag XF!