#1 cork_ie

cork_ie

Little Megger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:22 PM

Hi all ,
I hope someone may have come across this problem and shed some light on the subject.

Car is a 2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI with FFBA Euro 4 engine. Engine has 35K Miles on the clock.
Injectors are Siemens piezo. Car starts easily and idles fine at all temperatures.
A serious misfire starts at 1200 RPM with a lot of smoke (especially under load) up to about 1800 RPM. Once the revs hit about 2500 car runs OK and is off like a rocket.
Car spent months at main dealers who have washed their hands of the car. Car had accident damage at about 12K miles but no engine damage. They claim this voids any warranty which in my mind is BS.
There were no issues from 12K miles to 35K
I have done a lot of Common rails and never been beaten but this one is challenging!!

Dealer has :
Checked Dual Mass Flywheel = no problems
Swapped injectors with another car - no difference
Updated ECU to latest software
Returned car worse than what it was (according to customer).

I have:
Found no relevant DTC's at any stage
Blanked off EGR - no difference
Checked current waveform to each injector with PICO Scope at 900,1200,1800 ,2500 for each injector . Each injector seems to have same waveform.2 pilot injections & 1 main up to 1800 RPM ,1 pilot injection & 1 main at 2500. Intake is moderately clean and no sign of excessive fouling of EGR or intake.
MAP.MAF,Boost Press, Rail Press ,air and coolant temp all read normal and as expected
Checked that coding is correct for all injectors.

I am really at my wits end with this one and any help would be really apprerciated

#2 busybusybee

busybusybee

Megger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCi 2010

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:31 AM

Wow sound's like you really know your stuff mate, im mechanically minded but not to that degree lol. Daft question really but what fuel, ive had a small small issue and have been told it could have been another dodgy batch of fuel from tesco. Other than that, is it stuck in some sort of regeneration of the DPF?? Changed the fuel filter?? Sorry im not much help mate, hope you get to the bottom of this though :)
Does anyone actually read these???

#3 Craig140

Craig140

Big Megger

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

The only thing I can think is perhaps the inlet air temp sensor is faulty, although it looks like you've checked that.

Is the VNT on the 1.8 vacuum controlled or moved by a stepper motor? I seem to remember it's electrically actuated on the 1.8s. Perhaps the VNT is at fault? But I would have thought you'd get an under/overboost fault code ...

#4 cork_ie

cork_ie

Little Megger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for your reply.Fuel appears to be fine I haven't had it tested but no unusual signs from sample taken from fuel filter

#5 cork_ie

cork_ie

Little Megger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for your reply.
Air temp sensor reads fine on scanner as does boost pressure which pretty much rules out VNT.
Thanks for your help anyway.

#6 dbeyzade

dbeyzade

Big Megger

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Just a thought, if the car was damaged in an accident, ask for a written report from the Ford gararge that the problem was directly caused from the accident damage, and then submit it to your insurance company?

Daniel
MK4.5 Mondeo Titanium X Sport Midnight Sky 2.0 EcoBoost
Premium Navigation + Reverse Camera, Seat Pack

#7 Yobbo

Yobbo

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 894 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo, Caterham

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Have you checked the engine bay wiring ? I went through mine carefully about a year ago at 30k and was surprised at how many places it had started to chafe. I rerouted moved or protected at least 6 seperate wires and pipes that were showing signs of distress. The worst one was the injector wires going over the valve cover.
1.8 TDCi 125ps 6 speed Zetec hatch in Stardust Arrived 31st March 2008. Still getting about 50.5 mpg on average. Now over 100k and going strong

#8 JMcD

JMcD

Little Megger

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.8TDCI

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

Any resolution to your problem? My 08 Focus 1.8TDCI is a bit missy at about that rev as well. Also was in a tip before I got it. Don't get the smoke, but it has let me down a couple of times as reported in another post. Noticed the miss in it last night as I drove home (accelerating), usually only notice it by sound as I cruise in second or third at low speeds. As I said in the other post, who is going to find this problem, or yours - don't hold out much hope for Henry's boys!

J

#9 motorman116

motorman116

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo St Tdci
  • Name:Bill

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

If there isn't anyting wrong with the engine, then it must be software related....
2005 Ford Mondeo St Tdci, Performance Blue, with factory fitted Xenon Headlights, Asbo alloy wheels, K&N Panel Filter, Asbo Front Brakes, Ford 320mm front brake Discs, Ebc Turbo grooved and drilled rear discs, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Front & Rear Pads, H7 8000k Hid Fog Lights, L.E.D Side repeaters,581 Vision24 Amber indicator bulbs , Wingspeed Decat Pipe, Goodridge braided brake lines, Daytime running lights, Powerflow cat back with twin rear exhaust boxes with 4" tailpipes, Angel Eye Halo's, Detango front Indicators / chrome bulbs, Black eye headlights, Eibach Pro lowering springs, Airtec Pro Intercooler, Forge Silicone Hoses, CNL Custom Remap, Turbo Pressure, Oil Temp, Voltage gauges

#10 JMcD

JMcD

Little Megger

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.8TDCI

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

I wonder..... Even if so, then what - off to Henry's boys for an upgrade. (Between new cars and mobile phones, the solution is always an upgrade or reflashing as they like to call it in the mobile stores - as if they'd have a clue!)

I would say it could be a dicky sensor. But which one of the myriad. I'd be afraid to change a crankshaft sensor that I got when it stopped up the last time in case the problem would get worse. I was told at that time that that was the fault by the code reader man, but eventually it started after a fuel filter change and lots of expletives. As long as the car stays going, even with misfiring, I'm nervous to touch. My misfire is ever present, I would say, but you can't feel it all the time. As you cruise at 60, say, it goes along grand, but just feels a bit soft. Put the foot down and it responds. Decelerate and it's fine too. Just at that crossover point there's that 'softness'

I don't really expect a solution - I'm just vocalising to add to the knowledge base.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users