2 replies to this topic

#1 gozaradio

gozaradio

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:10 AM

Morning all,

I have the classic air bag light flashing four times in my 1998 Mk2 Ghia X.

I'm going to check the contacts under the seat one more time but if that doesn't cure it, how do I know which pre-tensioner to replace? Both seats are moved regularly.

Thanks for any help
Current: 55 plate ST220 with all the toys

About to Sell: 1998 Mk2 Ghia X with RSAP body kit

#2 thegfb

thegfb

saxos are crap

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:ST24
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 26.884

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

I'd say it's quite likely that both of your pretensioners are actually ok, and it's the connections at fault. To begin with, unplugging the yellow plugs worked on mine but after a while it came on and wouldn't go off no matter how many times I cleaned up the contacts. In the end I just fiddled with the loom and it went out, so I'm guessing the repeated back-forth motion of the seats wears the wiring or something.

If you sure it is a pretensioner fault, then unless the pretensioner has visibly fired or is damaged, the only way to tell is to bridge one of the connectors (the plug connected to the car, not the pretensioner) with a 2 ohm resistor and see if your light stops flashing. If it does, that side is at fault. If it carries on flashing, then you know it's the other pretensioner that's gone bad :L

#3 gozaradio

gozaradio

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for those top tips!

I'll check the loom. Hopefully it'll be that.

Failing that, will work out which pre tensioner is faulty using resistor.

Cheap enough to get one from a scrappy if need be although looks like it'll be a pain to fit. If I go down this route, is there any way of checking that it works before taking away from scrap yard?
Current: 55 plate ST220 with all the toys

About to Sell: 1998 Mk2 Ghia X with RSAP body kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users