#1 BeOneOptica

BeOneOptica

Little Megger

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:54 Plate 2.0 TDCi

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Just been to a garage for the car to be checked over as I've got a 'small' leak.

It appears to be diesel so we washed the engine down and took it for a drive. When we returned there appears to be a small bit of diesel leaking from the fuel pump in the engine compartment.

Apparently there are two solenoids there (stop and go?!) and they said that on older Transits the seals on the solenoid connectors would leak a little but give no signs on driving.

This appears to be what is happening to me. No loss of power and car drives fine.

Anyone, had any experience with this at all as the guy said "they can cost a canny bit!".

I don't have a signature.....

but I do have a Garage! ;o)

#2 BeOneOptica

BeOneOptica

Little Megger

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

Has no one had any experience with this?

I really need help because it's getting worse and I am 180 miles away from home.

It appears to be leaking from the Fuel Injection Pump connectors.

Is there anyway I can 'fast and short term fix' this so I can get home again without the fear of the car blowing up?

#3 Mabok01

Mabok01

Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.

• Gold Member
  • 2,987 posts
  • 257 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCI 130 2004
  • Name:Michael

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

is it the quick clip connectors or the actual connections on the pump? There are if I remember right 1 metal pipe and two plastic ones going into the pump. There are two electrical connections on the TDCI pump. A blue one (fuel temperature sensor) and on mines a brown one. This is the Inlet Metering Valve. Is the leak coming from any of these. we need as much information as possible to try and answer you questions.

2004 Hatchback 130 TDCI Inkblue Mileage 427.000 Miles.

Genuine Ford fuel pump sprocket locking tool and pump mounting bolt tool for rent. Refundable deposit by Paypal required.

#4 Mabok01

Mabok01

• Gold Member
  • 2,987 posts
  • 257 thanks

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

is it the quick clip connectors or the actual connections on the pump? There are if I remember right 1 metal pipe and two plastic ones going into the pump. There are two electrical connections on the TDCI pump. A blue one (fuel temperature sensor) and on mines a brown one. This is the Inlet Metering Valve. Is the leak coming from any of these. we need as much information as possible to try and answer you questions.

Genuine Ford fuel pump sprocket locking tool and pump mounting bolt tool for rent. Refundable deposit by Paypal required.

#5 BeOneOptica

BeOneOptica

Little Megger

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hi Mabok,

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday but wanted to wait until today so I could take a picture.

Posted Image

The metal pipe that feeds the Common Rail is dry and only kind of dirty where I couldn't get into when cleaning the engine out. I'm going to go an nip up the common rail feed nut and the nut on the blue connector to see if that makes any difference.

When I spoke to a mechanic a few weeks ago he said that sometimes the connectors leak and this is what, appears, to be happening to me but my experience with this is, well......zero so any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated as I can't afford the amount of cash that would take to fit a new pump!

I'm heading back up the road tomorrow so I really need to make sure I'm not going to die in a ball of flames as it seems to be getting worse especially when the foot gets a bit heavy.

Thanks again.

#6 Mabok01

Mabok01

• Gold Member
  • 2,987 posts
  • 257 thanks

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

Hi.

I can't see that the leak would be around the fuel temp sensor and it probably isn't coming from around the inlet metering but it doesn't cost anything to try and tighten them up a bit.. Have you checked the fuel pipes which come down over the engine to the pump. No splits or anything?

The metering valve itself is the round black thing behind the brown electrical connector so I can't see it leaking onto the front of the connector. Is there anybody else with you who could hold the revs a bit to see if you can see any drips.

try wrapping some paper towels or the like around the pies and pump to try and narrow down where it is coming from.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

#7 BeOneOptica

BeOneOptica

Little Megger

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:59 PM

Hi Michael,

The pipes going to the injectors are dry an nothing visible. What I've noticed is that if I drive conservative (i.e. not flooring it and changing gear early) I don't get drips. So it must be when the pressure is at maximum.

I have a woman here so I'll get her to rev whilst I look closely with a match! ;o)

Cheers again.

#8 Mabok01

Mabok01

• Gold Member
  • 2,987 posts
  • 257 thanks

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

Maybe a blowtorch or something bigger flame more light. ;-) LOL.

the inlet valve has two or three o rings which provide the seal. Maybe one has perished?
There are two torx screws holding it in. Small size 5 or 10 if remember right. You can see one at the top. The other is opposite it on a diagonal.

The fuel pipes are vacuum as in the pump sucks the fuel in so they would only leak fuel when not running. It may be spraying up from the high pressure fuel pipe union. It is tucked down behind the sensors and takes a 17 mm spanner but it's awkward to get at.

#9 BeOneOptica

BeOneOptica

Little Megger

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

Hi Again Michael,

I couldn't see whilst she was revving so I took the chance and drove home. I don't seem to smell anything unless I put my foot down.

What I have noticed is there is a collection of fluid, but not sure if it's diesel, on the pipe that feeds the injectors. Is that what you mean by the "High Pressure Fuel Pipe" union. I'm wondering if this is why I can smell diesel after putting my foot down if the pressure increases and thus more diesel comes out.

Yes, it is very awkward to get into it. This weekend I'll take off my Manifold and see if that makes it easier. If you, or anyone else, has any info for getting into it to make it easier it would be greatly appreciated.

#10 Mabok01

Mabok01

• Gold Member
  • 2,987 posts
  • 257 thanks

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

That is the fuel rail. The pipes coming off it can leak a little bit sometimes and just tightening them a fraction can stop the leak. The high pressure pipe is the one that runs from the pump to the back of the fuel rail.
you will see it when you get the manifold off. It's not too difficult to doand you might want to clean it and the EGR valve while you have them off. Although it is a dirty job. There's a guide in the wiki I think. that will give you all the info you will need to get them off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users